NJ - Man Taking Out Trash Finds Newborn

ajc2804

Reaction score
Child In Critical Condition

MAYS LANDING, N.J. -- A man throwing out his trash at an apartment complex on Wednesday heard a whimper coming from inside a trash bin and discovered a newborn baby boy inside a black trash bag.

The child was in critical condition Wednesday night in the neonatal intensive care unit at the mainland campus of AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center. Investigators were trying to determine who abandoned the child.

The 6-pound, 4-ounce baby was discovered at about 5:20 p.m. at the Sandpiper apartment complex, according to Atlantic County Prosecutor Jeffrey S. Blitz.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/10621118/detail.html

Oh my gosh, this is like right up the road from me!!!!! How sick!:behindbar

This is disgusting. There is absolutely NO reason that ANY mother should feel the need to abandon her newborn baby like this. In my state, we have the "Safe Haven Law", which basically means that anyone can drop off a newborn baby to any church, hospital or fire department WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED and simply say they don't want/can't care for the child.

Thank God the baby was found alive. I hope he recovers and is healthy. I cannot comprehend the mind that would not just abandon a baby but throw it out like trash. Very sad.

Am I the only one that thinks the mother's (whose children heard the baby crying) reaction is a little strange? I mean, she's clearly upset that the police are questioning the kids. Almost as if she has something to hide.

I could understand being upset that the police without my permission put my children in a police car (considered an intimidation technique) without my permission.

I did think it odd that she chided the children when they thought they heard something and once she established that putting her children in the car without her permission was not acceptable I do find it odd that she continued to be angry.

But then again maybe she always ignores her children (I mean exactly where was she when they were being put in the police car?)
And she may also just be a very angry anti-police person.
(Great ... teaching that to her kids!) <-----being sarcastic

I have so much difficulty with these stories.. I just cant understand how any one with even a minimum amount of emotion could place a baby in a trash bag and tie it closed then placing that child in a dumpster...

Can you imagine what this child will feel when/if it ever learns that his mother threw him in the trash when he was newborn?! :furious: :( I hope whoever raises him keeps this in mind, and works very hard to reassure him that he has worth, and he is loved and valued. This little one is going to need a lot of confidence boosting, especially if his schoolmates find out and are cruel. (They might not be, but children can be very cruel.) I wish him well, I hope he's strong in mind and spirit and that he continues to grow and learn how to be loving, compassionate, and kind.

Ok I am confused...... How can they charge her without confirmation that she is the mother??

There was video camera survailance. They probably saw her place the baby in the trash. I don't know if they got a rush DNA comparison pushed through or not, all the article said was the press wasn't allowed to state if the woman was related to the baby. (Probably because the baby is a minor and the structure of that state's laws, it would reveal the baby's identity to reveal the mother's identity.)

I am just so grateful the baby was alive! Wow!

What is wrong with our society that people routinely throw babies away? I don't understand...

KatK said:
There was video camera survailance. They probably saw her place the baby in the trash. I don't know if they got a rush DNA comparison pushed through or not, all the article said was the press wasn't allowed to state if the woman was related to the baby. (Probably because the baby is a minor and the structure of that state's laws, it would reveal the baby's identity to reveal the mother's identity.)

"Because of state law, officials cannot confirm whether or not Walker is the mother of the baby."

They charged her in this crime and released her name so wouldn't that indicate the identity of the baby?

If the state law is written in such a way that the press cannot reveal the identity of minor crime victims, then no, the newspapers cannot officially confirm if the person arrested is the mother of the child, since that would then identify the minor as "baby boy Walker" in print, which the laws states cannot be done. So, people know, but don't *know* at this point in time. When charges are filed by the D.A., and this goes to trial this may change some.

I know there are some people who are raised to believe you never get involved - which might be why the mother of the kids who heard the baby crying "chided" them (which I have no clue what the word means - but it obviously does not mean "diving in the dumpster to save the baby.")

I'd like to think my daughter wouldn't have even taken the time to tell me what she heard, before she ripped open the bag and brought the baby to me or someone else for some help.

I do realize I'm not everyone though - and different upbringings can teach you different street smarts. Perhaps where this mother of the two kids was raised, getting involved meant getting shot yourself, or something. In my world, this is no excuse, but perhaps in her world, it is.

Why is the woman being charged with endangering the welfare of a child and not attempted murder? I assume that she placed the baby in the trashcan because she wanted it to go out with the trash; if she had wanted it to be found and saved, wouldn't she have put it out somewhere more obvious?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back