Article on Lin Wood

candy

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This article is 4 pages long, so click on the next page at the bottom of each page:

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2004/01/26/story6.html?page=1

EXCLUSIVE REPORTS
From the January 23, 2004 print edition
'Every lawsuit is a war'
Atlanta's Lin Wood has become one of the country's top libel lawyers
Megan Woolhouse
Staff writer
Gary Condit needed a lawyer. On his way out of public office, the former California congressman had plans to sue The National Enquirer and Vanity Fair magazine for articles linking him to the murder of Chandra Levy. But instead of calling an inside-the-Beltway firm or any one of a number of high-profile California libel attorneys, he called Atlanta attorney Lin Wood.

candy said:
This article is 4 pages long, so click on the next page at the bottom of each page:

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2004/01/26/story6.html?page=1

EXCLUSIVE REPORTS
From the January 23, 2004 print edition
'Every lawsuit is a war'
Atlanta's Lin Wood has become one of the country's top libel lawyers
Megan Woolhouse
Staff writer
Gary Condit needed a lawyer. On his way out of public office, the former California congressman had plans to sue The National Enquirer and Vanity Fair magazine for articles linking him to the murder of Chandra Levy. But instead of calling an inside-the-Beltway firm or any one of a number of high-profile California libel attorneys, he called Atlanta attorney Lin Wood.

Interesting KNOWLEDGE; Thanks for the heads-up/insight!!! :clap:

Ted Pound, a medical malpractice lawyer in Atlanta, said he and Wood have nearly come to blows on several occasions. Pound said Wood insults and antagonizes witnesses and on several occasions has reduced nurses to tears.

"He's the all-time cheap shot artist in my line of work," Pound said. "That's his reputation."

They could have saved themselves the other 3 3/4 pages of article. The above sums it up nicely

But he is a money maker, which is all the Ramseys are interested in, so it's a really perfect match

How obnoxious!

I wish there were more moneys to be gotten from the Ramseys, et al. I would love to see the McReynolds sue the crap out of them. Santa McReynolds had gone through the ultimate injustice to a person in this case. Now that he's dead, he makes the perfect scapegoat, like Bootman.

They are all so disgusting, but I do believe in my heart that Lin will get his just desserts in a courtroom one day, and hope that the bus victims are there to watch it.

During the Wolf depositions, I was aware that Lin Wood constantly interrupted the witnesses whenever Darnay Hoffman was questioning them. It appeared to me that he was deliberately wasting Hoffman's time. Every time Hoffman asked a question, Wood interrupted to "put his spin on it" (Hoffman's words). As a result, Hoffman only got to ask a fraction of the questions he might have in his allotted time. Whenever it came to his own time running out, Wood demanded extra time - thretening to recall the witness on another day if he didn't get it. Darnay Hoffman allowed himself to be bullied. I thought Beckner's lawyer did a better job of not allowing Lin Wood to railroad his client.

I don't think Lin Wood is an honest practitioner in this respect and I can see why he settles cases before they ever get to court. He wouldn't stand a chance using this technique in a court environment. It was very irritating to observe. Wood interrupted every time HIS clients were being asked a question of interest and he interrupted everytime the likes of Thomas were about to say something of interest. In a court, the judge would shut him up and say "Let the witness answer the question".

Wood relies on tactics such as this to ensure that the witnesses answer only those questions that he wishes the answers on record. One is left with this constant feeling that only part of the story has been told.

Jayelles said:
During the Wolf depositions, I was aware that Lin Wood constantly interrupted the witnesses whenever Darnay Hoffman was questioning them. It appeared to me that he was deliberately wasting Hoffman's time. Every time Hoffman asked a question, Wood interrupted to "put his spin on it" (Hoffman's words). As a result, Hoffman only got to ask a fraction of the questions he might have in his allotted time. Whenever it came to his own time running out, Wood demanded extra time - thretening to recall the witness on another day if he didn't get it. Darnay Hoffman allowed himself to be bullied. I thought Beckner's lawyer did a better job of not allowing Lin Wood to railroad his client.

I don't think Lin Wood is an honest practitioner in this respect and I can see why he settles cases before they ever get to court. He wouldn't stand a chance using this technique in a court environment. It was very irritating to observe. Wood interrupted every time HIS clients were being asked a question of interest and he interrupted everytime the likes of Thomas were about to say something of interest. In a court, the judge would shut him up and say "Let the witness answer the question".

Wood relies on tactics such as this to ensure that the witnesses answer only those questions that he wishes the answers on record. One is left with this constant feeling that only part of the story has been told.

Lin Wood only takes cases that he knows will settle. It seems he rather enjoys his shyster reputation. He makes no effort to hide the fact that $$$ is his prime concern, not justice. Yes, Wood is irritating to watch. I felt as you did Jayelles watching those interviews.

Maybe one day, he'll be up against a REAL lawyer and won't be allowed to get away with his tactics.

As far as being honest, Lin Wood is as honest as the Ramseys. A perfect match.

"Wood grew up in Macon and was exposed to the law at an early age. He was 16 when he returned home from school to find his father standing over his mother's lifeless body. His father later pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter.

Wood raised money for his father's legal defense and hired a lawyer to represent him. It led to his decision to become a lawyer.

"I just remember how I felt when they said they would help me," he said. "And I remember thinking at the time, maybe one day I'll be able to make somebody feel the same way."

Look at his beginnings with the law. He finds his OWN father standing over his OWN dead mother. His father is guilty of killing his mother, and he helps pay for his defense. He doesn't even have the excuse of thinking his father is innocent, and he still jumps right in there to help him out. Since then, it took him several marriages to find "just that right wife", and now it seems he only takes on clients who are involved with money and murder. Well, I guess his dream came true about making somebody feel the same way his did way back then. Seems to enjoy hanging out and defending possible murderers try to gain back their status as good upstanding pillars of their communities. Always spins the blame to land on others. I wonder what he thinks his mother did to deserve to die at the hands of his father? Im my most humble opinion this is SICK, SICK, SICK!!!

cookie said:
"Wood grew up in Macon and was exposed to the law at an early age. He was 16 when he returned home from school to find his father standing over his mother's lifeless body. His father later pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter.

Wood raised money for his father's legal defense and hired a lawyer to represent him. It led to his decision to become a lawyer.

"I just remember how I felt when they said they would help me," he said. "And I remember thinking at the time, maybe one day I'll be able to make somebody feel the same way."

Look at his beginnings with the law. He finds his OWN father standing over his OWN dead mother. His father is guilty of killing his mother, and he helps pay for his defense. He doesn't even have the excuse of thinking his father is innocent, and he still jumps right in there to help him out. Since then, it took him several marriages to find "just that right wife", and now it seems he only takes on clients who are involved with money and murder. Well, I guess his dream came true about making somebody feel the same way his did way back then. Seems to enjoy hanging out and defending possible murderers try to gain back their status as good upstanding pillars of their communities. Always spins the blame to land on others. I wonder what he thinks his mother did to deserve to die at the hands of his father? Im my most humble opinion this is SICK, SICK, SICK!!!

Interesting that those he chooses to defend with the exception of Jewell had FEMALE victims. And on his third wife............

Very telling indeed. I'd be curious to know how many of his horses are females. As an animal lover and advocate, I feel sorry for his horses.

Does anyone have any idea about how much jail time, if any, his father got for killing his mother? And, is he alive today, and if so, where he lives.

I don't think Lin Wood's personal history has anything to do with the JonBenet case. Wood is doing what ALL attorneys do, civilly or criminally, when they are defending an obviously culpable client -- he is lying. What else could he do?

With respect to the civil suits involving Burke, he knows what the results will be before he even files the lawsuit. IT WILL SETTLE! The courts will not allow a case involving the identities of children who committed a serious crime to go to trial. It would violate Colorado law protecting the identities of the children.

JMO

I believe you are right about him being sure of the outcome before he brings the suits on, but I think that is for a very different purpose. They pretty much all settle out of court any more. So what if it costs them money. They even make money on their losses because people will still buy their publications no matter what. In the long run, their being sued can actually bring them more money than if they fought it and won. Many many will buy their material just to see if they will still continue to print the same type of stories.

As for the courts maintaining secrets about the possibility of Burk having killed his sister, there are other ways to dodge the suits and still keep his secret.

Jayelles said:
As a result, Hoffman only got to ask a fraction of the questions he might have in his allotted time.
Jayelles, I think you're giving Hoffman WAY too much credit. He could have had a week to ask questions and Mr. *advertiser censored* still wouldn't have known what to do.

imo

Shylock said:
Jayelles, I think you're giving Hoffman WAY too much credit. He could have had a week to ask questions and Mr. *advertiser censored* still wouldn't have known what to do.

imo

Perhaps when Joel Steinberg gets out of prison and is released to Darnay Hoffman, the tabloids will run some good stories. Then Darnay and Lin Wood could actually team up to make some money from the death of another little girl. Seems to be their forte.

and...Darnay could use the help

Speaking of reducing nurses to tears has anyone read this Westword article?. LW and Mary Keenan seem like two peas in a pod. :furious:

"Keenan met with doctors Long and Rosquist and the SANE nurses early in August. Mallard was not present. Keenan characterizes the session as "constructive"; the nurses call it "the meeting from hell." They say that Keenan was hostile and arrogant, that she behaved as if she were in a courtroom conducting an interrogation, that she spoke darkly of possible lawsuits against the nurses and the center for false arrest, and that she paid no attention to the comments of the two doctor"s.

http://www.westword.com/issues/1999-10-07/feature.html/1/index.html

Shylock said:

imo

I don't think I gave Darnay Hoffman ANY credit.

Barbara said:
Interesting that those he chooses to defend with the exception of Jewell had FEMALE victims. And on his third wife............

Very telling indeed. I'd be curious to know how many of his horses are females. As an animal lover and advocate, I feel sorry for his horses.

Just as an aside....A friend of a friend is married to a dentist. Her husband bought a horse and began to spend way too much time with the horse. Over time, the wife became convinced that her husband was having an affair and was using the horse as an alibi. The final crunch came when he spent most of Christmas Day with 'the horse' leaving his wife and their four young children. The wife hired a private detective and guess what? The guy really was spending every second of his spare time with his beloved horse! Not another mare in sight :)

Jayelles, I thought you were going to say it turned out that the dentist was having an affiar with his horse. He wasn't, right?

Nah, the dentist wouldn't be having an affair with his horse. It's too far to bend around there to kiss em.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back