GUILTY IL - Dr. David Cornbleet, 64, stabbed to death, Chicago, 24 Oct 2006

Gina_M

Reaction score
Website
www.findmywayhome.org
CHICAGO (AP) -- The family of a Chicago dermatologist killed in his downtown office in October is using the social networking site MySpace.com to try to find his killer.

Dr. David Cornbleet, 64, of Lincolnwood was found stabbed to death in his 12th-floor Michigan Avenue office on Oct. 24. Police believe a young man shown on a building surveillance video is responsible.

Chicago police spokeswoman Monique Bond said the department is supporting the family's efforts and have provided video footage.

On the Net: http://www.myspace.com/dr_david_cornbleet_murder

More of the article can be found here:
http://mywebtimes.com/ottnews/archives/ottawa/display.php?id=289033

What is up with the comments left by
"Little Miss Understood":
"Jan 1 2007 9:12A
read my messsage. someone got into your myspace and is sending bogus bulletins prompting people to a log on page that is not a real myspace login page....
hope you had a great new year! check your bulletins . the subject is "LOL"
thanks
D"

and by "C":
"Dec 31 2006 1:05P
Come on *advertiser censored*, if you knew him you'd know he deserved what he got. Don't play coy".

Seems kind of heartless and mean IMO. From a quick review of "Little Miss Understood's" friends on her own space, she has a lot of "friends" who are actually those *advertiser censored*-bot things where you log end up at sites that are not MySpace pages. "C" just seems like a self-centered, lonely azzhole from some of his comments on his page.

Wow--that's a wild one! From another article:
"He was discovered by his daughter brutally murdered -- bound, gagged and stabbed multiple times, NBC5 reported."

And another:
"He would have been there alone," said Dr. Omeed Memar, a dermatologist in the building. "He was his own receptionist. He checked in patients, and he answered the phone. He did everything. I don't know how he did it."

Sounds like the doctor had a secret life--one he snuck in occasionally at his office. I think this young man, or others like him, probably show up on other surveillance tapes, around 4:45 on other afternoons.

Reannan said:
What is up with the comments left by
"Little Miss Understood":
"Jan 1 2007 9:12A
read my messsage. someone got into your myspace and is sending bogus bulletins prompting people to a log on page that is not a real myspace login page....
hope you had a great new year! check your bulletins . the subject is "LOL"
thanks
D"

and by "C":
"Dec 31 2006 1:05P
Come on *advertiser censored*, if you knew him you'd know he deserved what he got. Don't play coy".

Seems kind of heartless and mean IMO. From a quick review of "Little Miss Understood's" friends on her own space, she has a lot of "friends" who are actually those *advertiser censored*-bot things where you log end up at sites that are not MySpace pages. "C" just seems like a self-centered, lonely azzhole from some of his comments on his page.
I agree about "C", and they've since deleted his comments (I hope they blocked him too). As to the comment by Little Miss Understood...yeah, someone hacked into the Cornbleet account and posted a spam bulletin. They've since regained control of their account though. Hacking is quite common on MySpace. Unfortunately, people continue to use trackers (visitor maps), which is where a lot of it supposedly comes from.

T-Rex said:
Wow--that's a wild one! From another article:
"He was discovered by his daughter brutally murdered -- bound, gagged and stabbed multiple times, NBC5 reported."

And another:
"He would have been there alone," said Dr. Omeed Memar, a dermatologist in the building. "He was his own receptionist. He checked in patients, and he answered the phone. He did everything. I don't know how he did it."

Sounds like the doctor had a secret life--one he snuck in occasionally at his office. I think this young man, or others like him, probably show up on other surveillance tapes, around 4:45 on other afternoons.
I haven't read anything that would indicate he had a secret life. If you read what his son wrote about him on the MySpace page, Dr. Cornbleet was a great man who cared about his patients as well as his family, and was very ethical and honest. His son worked with him on many Saturdays and got to see the great rapport he had with his patients. Sure, it's possible that there's something going on that we don't know about, but I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

Apparently, Dr. Cornbleet had been on a cruise shortly before the murder, and he had purchased some sort of "art" while on that cruise. From review of the comments left on the Guest Book of the Chicago Sun Times, he was an avid art fan, and as one former patient who signed the guest book put it, she was "fascinated by his mementos" which were prominent in his office. He collected and displayed momentos from around the world. Another former patient who signed the guest book, made the following statement regarding his office; "All those wonderful trinkets". If you look closely at the video on the MySpace site, there appears to be a white object protruding from the backpack of the suspect. Is this object a rolled-up and missing piece of art that had been in his office?

Reannan said:
Apparently, Dr. Cornbleet had been on a cruise shortly before the murder, and he had purchased some sort of "art" while on that cruise. From review of the comments left on the Guest Book of the Chicago Sun Times, he was an avid art fan, and as one former patient who signed the guest book put it, she was "fascinated by his mementos" which were prominent in his office. He collected and displayed momentos from around the world. Another former patient who signed the guest book, made the following statement regarding his office; "All those wonderful trinkets". If you look closely at the video on the MySpace site, there appears to be a white object protruding from the backpack of the suspect. Is this object a rolled-up and missing piece of art that had been in his office?
That would make sense after watching the video and seeing the object he's carrying...I would bet there is a piece of high $$ art missing from the office. If that is the case, why didn't the guy just knock him out??...why did he have to kill him?!! That's so sad..:(

Good questions Czechmate7....The only reason I can think of would be the possibility that the perpetrator thought Dr. Cornbleet would have been able to identify him. I would also bet that the murderer was looking for something very specific and perhaps that is why the doctor was tied up - an attempt to force the doctor to tell him where a specific item was hidden. Other news articles have indicated that "nothing was missing" from the office. That doesn't make any sense, because there is obviously stuff in the backpack that wasn't in there when the suspect entered the building. Where else would it have come from? I would respectfully suggest to the family and the investigators that they obtain the patient listing of everyone who had visited Dr. Cornbleet since his last trip and begin their investigation there. There is at least one individual who has signed his Guest Book and expressed an interest/awareness of the "trinkets" that were in his office who has a MySpace account. Several of the friends of this individual brag about and spotlight being involved with the "gangsta" lifestyle. By this I mean, they brag about having guns and generally being a real badazz. Now don't get me wrong - I am not saying everyone who has an alternative ego or participates in fantasy lifestyles is necessarily a bad person. Guilty as charged myself. At the same time, you have to sort of expect to be questioned and at least looked at suspiciously if you are somehow connected even remotely to a crime such as this one.

The guy does look like he's using a white cloth to push the revolving door when he enters. And one article says the doctor was bound with duct tape--not something you'd expect to be lying around his office.

An earlier article said he was known to keep an envelope with a large amount of money in his office, but police say they don't believe the motive was robbery. (So I guess it wasn't missing?)

I was wondering if the white roll sticking out of the mystery man's pack could be that roll of paper used on an examining table.

*bump* Thinking of you, Dr. Cornbleet, and your family. It's so horrible that there's actually a video of the killer and it has gone nowhere....

I always think of a "knife" murder as being done by someone who close to the victim. He targeted this doctor for a reason. I don't know if he had a secret life or not. However, that thought did cross my mind.

Who knows? It could be a patient or the son of a patient that he refused to continue treating because their bill was too high. It's hard to say.

I agree with the poster that they should be going through the patient list. I would definitely check out patients with outstanding bills to see if they match the description or if they have a son who matches the description.

Also, this family should try to get exposure on Nancy Grace or Greta Van Sustern.

A while ago, someone posted a nasty message on the family's web site, and they deleted it.

I thought that was dumb then, and think that more so now that we know Shawn Hornbeck posted on his family's web site.

nanandjim said:
Who knows? It could be a patient or the son of a patient that he refused to continue treating because their bill was too high. It's hard to say.

I'm disinclined to think he would refuse treatment to someone on the basis of money only because his family has stressed that Dr. Cornbleet wanted to help everyone regardless of their problems, money or otherwise. I do think you're exactly right about him being targeted though. The person on the security cam was definitely walking with a purpose in mind. He seemed to have even planned it out way in advance because he seems to be avoiding the security cameras (because he knows where they are) and he uses a cloth to open the doors.

One thought came to my mind and that's because I frequently see a dermatologist due to my own skin problems. I'm currently beginning Accutane and it has very serious side effects. One of these side effects can be mental issues. It is not a recommended treatment for anyone with a previous history of mental issues because of this. Mostly, it can cause depression or suicidal thoughts/urges, but it also lists that psychosis (like hearing voices or seeing things that aren't there) could be a complication. I'm wondering if the murder was triggered by the effects of Accutane.

Here is the Crime Library article on the case: http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/original/0107/0103_cornbleet_murder.html

The Crime Library article says they have "substantial" forensic evidence from the perp (apparently, Dr. Cornbleet busted the guy's nose up pretty good) and that they have several "persons of interest."
They are also running some stills from the video camera footage as the header on MySpace which is awesome. (It has about 5 pictures and says, "Can you identify this man?")

February 7, 2007 - Investigators released new surveillance video Wednesday that may help them solve the deadly stabbing of a Chicago doctor. Police want to track down the customer videotaped at a home depot store. Dr. David Cornbleet was killed in his Michigan Avenue office last October.
Detectives knew as they began their murder investigation that they had an important clue. And that clue -- after considerable legwork -- has now led them to a surveillance tape. Whether the tape will ultimately lead them to the killer is an open question, but that is the hope of police and the Cornbleet family.

*more at link* http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5012905

That's pretty interesting. They have a lot of footage. I don't think it's the same guy as in the other video. I wonder if they think the murderer took the object from the guy who bought it. (I.e. picked up his roommate's exacto knife, or something.)

Maybe they should post pics on that Home Depot's doors. People who go to HD seem to go there a lot--like the grocery store.

Hi T-rex! Glad you are here. I feel like I'm the only one wishing this case can get solved heh.

They also posted some new enhanced images from the surveillance tape at the office complex. They are working on doing the same with the HD tapes. I think it would be an excellent idea to post the photos on the HD doors but I would have it posted everywhere else: 7-11s (do they have those in Chicago?), Wawa's (same), pool halls... anywhere someone in their late teens/early twenties would hang out.

It's weird that True Crime Blog, or something like that, said that the 'murderer' did a 360 degree spin on his heel before entering the elevator. The MYSPACE
account doesn't mention that. The guy looks kind of skateboarderish / snowboarderish already, with the nylon hoodie jacket; wonder why they held that back?

T-Rex said:
It's weird that True Crime Blog, or something like that, said that the 'murderer' did a 360 degree spin on his heel before entering the elevator. The MYSPACE
account doesn't mention that. The guy looks kind of skateboarderish / snowboarderish already, with the nylon hoodie jacket; wonder why they held that back?

Hmm, I think I remember reading that bit about it (I think they said something about the killer being in somewhat of a good mood and "dancing.")

I know what you mean about the look of him. I thought maybe he looked like a hip-hop kid myself, with the beanie and the zip up nylon jacket. One interesting thing I noted about him was he seems to be rather broadshouldered. He almost looks like he tries to body build, if that makes sense? His shoulders and back seem rather wide but he does seem skinny, so it's possible that he tries to get bigger in the gym but just can't seem to put body weight on. It seems even clearer to me in the Home Depot pictures WHICH ARE NOW UP ON THE MYSPACE- EVERYONE GO PLEASE GO!

There seems to be a lot here; the right person just needs to see these pictures.

I think it is hard to tell anything by the videos. They point out his right pant leg but it could just look bigger because of the way he is moving I can't imagine having something in your lower pant leg when you have a back pack.

It also looks like he was wearing more clothes on top then he needed to wear because at one point he takes the light colored jacket off and covers his face or that is what it looks like to me. Then he puts the jacket back on as he is nearly out of camera range. It's to bad the camera wasn't a better camera...clearer. His backpack could look fuller depending on how it was hanging off of his back. If it is hanging off of one shoulder it would droop and look fuller but with it over both shoulders that would keep it more balanced and it would look less full. That is my take anyway. The guy looks heavier and thicker when he is wearing so many clothes. He doesn't look so big with just one jacket on. Maybe he wore layers of clothing to look heavier.

I wonder if someone at the FBI lab could clear the video up at all.

In one part of the video there are three people behind him in the hallway when he is taking off. Have any of those people come forward to describe what this guy looks like or maybe they only saw his back as he took off. It looks like he was in a big hurry.

This person might not have even known the doctor but maybe had a friend who had been to him and the friend talked about the neat stuff in the doctor's office and it gave this guy some big ideas. Probably needing money for dope. I can't imagine why anyone would want to murder this doctor unless it was to rob him. What could go wrong when you are seeing a skin doctor? I could understand if he was a surgeon and something went wrong during a surgery and someone died but not a skin doc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back