Police Taser 14-Foot Florida Python

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Police Taser 14-Foot Python to Save Handler

TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. (Dec. 13) - A 14-foot python bit its handler and tried to drag her into its cage during a show at an aquarium, and wouldn't release the woman until a police officer zapped the reptile with a stun gun.

Alison Cobianchi, 18, was taking Chloe, a Burmese python, out of her cage for the daily snake presentation Saturday at the Tarpon Springs Aquarium when the snake wrapped itself around her arm and waist.

Visitors and aquarium employees kept the nonvenomous snake from pulling Cobianchi into the cage, but couldn't make it release its grip.

Police were called to help. "We either had to Taser it or we would have had to kill it," police Sgt. Allen MacKenzie said.

Cobianchi suffered puncture wounds on her wrist.

"It was definitely the most scary and painful thing that has ever happened to me," she said. "I knew I wasn't going to die, but I was worried I wouldn't get my hand back."

http://news.aol.com/strange/story/_...-python-to-save/n20061231105009990001?cid=936

Bet the attendees never forget THAT snake presentation!!:D

Sheromom said:
Bet the attendees never forget THAT snake presentation!!:D
So many python stories coming out of Florida these days. I think Florida is the only state with a python population in the wild (the Everglades). Then there are the Giant African rats. All of these added tourist attractions.

So a python nearly took off this woman's hand and she's a trainer!--and yet people have these things as pets! I'll never understand that why someone would want something like this just to keep around the house yikes

Buzzm1 said:
So many python stories coming out of Florida these days. I think Florida is the only state with a python population in the wild (the Everglades). Then there are the Giant African rats. All of these added tourist attractions.
Ahhhhhhhh.........I think I will on my half of the states-:crazy: ; not much is poisonous where I live. How big are these rats?

Well, I think I have finally found a use for tasers that I agree with!

Peter Hamilton said:
So a python nearly took off this woman's hand and she's a trainer!--and yet people have these things as pets! I'll never understand that why someone would want something like this just to keep around the house yikes
I understand the wanting to - but I can't understand the actually doing it. I have snakes as pets - but I only have the variety that grow to the size I can handle and no larger. Angus is my largest at 6 feet. If he wraps around me and squeezes, he's still the right size to unwrap myself with no problems. Anything bigger than that is a NO WAY, no matter how much my daughter complains.

Buzzm1 said:
It would be nice if the pythons would eat the rats and the gators would eat the pythons. But I have heard the pythons are trying to eat the gators!

Becba said:
It would be nice if the pythons would eat the rats and the gators would eat the pythons. But I have heard the pythons are trying to eat the gators!
Tried. Yes. Failed miserably, though. Grousome.

I took my kid to the neurology department at Shands Hospital in Gainesville yesterday and we saw a huge framed photograph of Paines Prarie (BEAUTIFUL preserve) that was taken at dusk, near Gainesville. The lighting shone white on all the gator eyeballs in the swamp and I swear it was gators as far as the eye could see.

I won't be kayaking in Paines Prarie Swamp anytime soon. :)

GlitchWizard said:
I understand the wanting to - but I can't understand the actually doing it. I have snakes as pets - but I only have the variety that grow to the size I can handle and no larger. Angus is my largest at 6 feet. If he wraps around me and squeezes, he's still the right size to unwrap myself with no problems. Anything bigger than that is a NO WAY, no matter how much my daughter complains.
I have a picture of my daughter, when she was FOUR years old with a 70 pound albino python wrapped around her several times and she is holding its head and grinning so proudly!!!! LOL; it is STILL one of her favorite pics. Here is a picture of the snake; I'm afraid to put her pic on the internet but as you can see, the snake is a biggie!
436646-thumb.jpg

Sheromom said:
I have a picture of my daughter, when she was FOUR years old with a 70 pound albino snake wrapped around her several times and she is holding its head and grinning so proudly!!!! LOL; it is STILL one of her favorite pics.
http://00454d2.netsolhost.com/barbara/images/donna/donnapython.jpg

Yep. My kid, too. :) I think this one was 18 feet. I was skeptical that it was alive until it raised it's head to "sniff" me with it's tounge.

Attachments

• donnapython.jpg
    donnapython.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 125
Sheromom said:
LOL; that is one awesome picture!!! I LOVE it!
Thanks. :) I have one of her feeding a baby white tiger with a bottle - little did I know that that same day, that famous guy was attacked by his full grown white tiger and when I showed the picture to my mother that next day - she FREAKED. *snicker* It was SO hard not to grin.

LOL; life would mighty boring if we never did the unusual! Sounds like you have an awesome daughter.

Sheromom said:
LOL; life would mighty boring if we never did the unusual! Sounds like you have an awesome daughter.
We both do. :)

I see my Mom's boring life and it motivates me to actually PLAN unusual stuff so I don't end up boring like her.

GlitchWizard said:
We both do. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I see my Mom's boring life and it motivates me to actually PLAN unusual stuff so I don't end up boring like her.
I used to be terrified of snakes until one day when my son, who was in second grade at the time, brought home his lunch pail FILLED with them. I knew that if I overreacted, I would probably make him as afraid of them as I was so I forced myself to remain calm. We don't have any poisonous ones here so I knew they wouldn't kill me- LOL! I've slowly gotten to where they don't bother me. LOL- my father used to chase me with snakes when I was little- nothing much boring in my family; I would have envied you a boring family at one time. I'm like you, though, I do unusual stuff just so I can say I've done it!

Tom'sGirl said:
My vision gets little 'blinkies' just looking at that photo! :eek:

I have only one fear that I'm aware of that is VERY hard for me to control, and that is my fear of snakes.
That's the weird thing about fear - everyone is afraid of something different. Once you realize that, you can pretty much see that some fears are unfounded. (Not saying ALL fears are, of course!) I'm 39. After my divorce, I realized I shouldn't have feared my husband all those years - and set out to face all my fears before I was 40.

1. I took Kenpo Karate, got my purple belt, invited my ex husband to come visit his daughter - knowing I could kick his butt if I had to, now. :)

2. I have had HORRIFYING motorcycle experiences in the past, so I took a motorcycle driving class - 3 days of it! I cried like a baby, scared off my rocker - but the helmet hid that from the rest of the class.

3. I used to be scared of spiders - but instead of killing them or running away, I'd throw crickets at the outdoor webs (I feed my lizards crickets, so I had extra) and watch them eat them. It was such a cool sight, I eventually stopped being afraid of them.

4. I was scared of rivers, having grown up near one and my grandmother always telling me if I tried to touch it, I'd be sucked in and drown. My daughter helped me get onto a piece of plastic, slightly larger than my butt, and shoved me onto the Suwannee River. Now I'm a kayaking addict.

5. I never was afraid of snakes growing up until I was bitten by a poisonous one. I didn't die, but was scared for a long time. Then I bought a nice one and held it alot until I wasn't afraid anymore.

6. After a serious horse vs. car accident that injured me in lots of ways, I was unreasonably terrified of getting back on my horse. I would walk up to her, vomit, and walk away. After seven tries, I got on her - wanting ten minutes of not dying, that's all. My friend kept telling me to let go of the saddle horn. I said a couple of choice words he'd never heard me use before and he STILL teases me about that. :)

7. I think I'll die of old age before I will get over my fear of Palmetto Bugs. (For those of you up North - think 3-4 inch cochroach that aims and flies right at your face.) One of my pen pals is a serial killer, and even HE screams like a little girl when one flies at him - so why should I be any braver?

I've been happier since facing my fears - but like I said, some fears are reasonable. I've decided that even though Palmetto Bugs can't actually hurt you all by themselves, it's perfectly reasonable to be afraid of them - since I can't fix it, anyway. :)

Excellent post GlitchWizard!!!

I think its commendable that you have overcome your fears.
Our Friend is the manager of Paynes Prairie.
It is a beautiful park.
(My fear is the wooden outlook that is 3 flights high) It somehow feels "rickety" to me and sways in the wind.
I do not like high open spaces. This includes bridges.... SO I overcame that by moving to island. I have to drive over a bridge if I go more then 5 miles from my house so I got over it pretty quickly.

The palmetto bugs are pretty gross. My cat likes to catch them if they get in the house.

Funny you mentioned Kayacking I just got back from vacation and that was what we did. Have you ever tried it in the ocean?
I saw a hammerhead the other day while out.. Just a little one.
Next I am going to try Kite Boarding.

Amraann said:
Excellent post GlitchWizard!!!

I think its commendable that you have overcome your fears.
Our Friend is the manager of Paynes Prairie.
It is a beautiful park.
(My fear is the wooden outlook that is 3 flights high) It somehow feels "rickety" to me and sways in the wind.
I do not like high open spaces. This includes bridges.... SO I overcame that by moving to island. I have to drive over a bridge if I go more then 5 miles from my house so I got over it pretty quickly.

The palmetto bugs are pretty gross. My cat likes to catch them if they get in the house.

Funny you mentioned Kayacking I just got back from vacation and that was what we did. Have you ever tried it in the ocean?
I saw a hammerhead the other day while out.. Just a little one.
Next I am going to try Kite Boarding.
We haven't tried the ocean yet. I think I need to loose about 100 pounds and learn to swim before I get all nuts. :)

I'd like to know how I can see what the photographer saw at Paines Prarie. Can you ask your friend for me, if I go there at dusk, will I see something like that, or was that some fluke picture, time lapse photography or whatever? I don't want to drive two hours to see nothing, or to find the park is closed at dusk. :)

That bridge wasn't rickety last time I was on it... back in the 80s! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back