NC NC - Shonda Stansbury, 24, Roanoke Rapids, 9 Dec 2006

ketel0ne

The artist formerly known as 'Absolut'
Reaction score
Shonda Stansbury has been missing since Dec. 9, 2006. After a 911 call authorities believe she is in danger.

Roanoke Rapids — Halifax County authorities believe a missing woman is in danger after receiving a 911 call about her.

Shonda Stansbury's family reported her missing on Dec. 9. Investigators initially thought she left on her own, but a 911 call received five days later has authorities concerned.

A woman called Warren County 911 on Dec. 14 to report that she thought she saw Stansbury in trouble near the Information Grocery store off N.C. Highway 158 in Halifax County.

"A woman, a blonde-headed woman, and I believe it was Shonda Stansbury, was running from behind the Information," the caller said before her cell phone dropped the call.

The Warren County 911 center could only trace the call to a cell tower and never got the caller's name or phone number. A dispatcher passed the information to Halifax County.

Link: 911 Call About Missing Woman Concerns Authorities :: WRAL.com.

OMG!! This is the town I live in....I wonder why I hadn't heard this. I live right off of Hwy 158. There has been no coverage about this. I don't know her personally but this is a pretty small town and I have seen her around. I don't get why the woman waited to call 911 if she had a cell phone she didn't have to stop. She wasted at least 30 valuable minutes that could have meant life or death for Shonda!

Thanks absolut. I don't know how I missed this! I watch the local news everyday even when I don't read the paper and today was the first I had heard of it. Prayers for the family.

concernedperson said:
Obviously this is a terribly battered woman. LE needs to be talking to her abuser 24 hours a day as he must know where she is or what happened tp her.Sad, sad situation.
I agree, I hope she is found safe and sound but ive got a bad feeling about her outcome.

Search for missing mother of four turns up no clues Friday

Katy Nicholson Herald Staff Writer
Friday's search for a missing woman didn't produce any evidence, but the Halifax County Sheriff's Office considered it a worthwhile effort.

Shonda Stansbury, a 24-year-old mother of four, was reported missing by her mother Dec. 9. At the time, the Roanoke Rapids Police Department had no reason to suspect she was in danger.

On Dec. 14 around 11:28 p.m., a woman called 911 and reported seeing Stansbury near Information Grocery at the intersection of Thelma Road and U.S. Highway 158.

The woman opened the passenger door of her car, but left the area when she saw two men chasing Stansbury. The incident led to the police department classifying Stansbury as an endangered person.

The first major search for Stansbury took place Friday from about 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., and the police department had already entered her into a national computer system.

Nearly 30 volunteers combed the wooded area where Stansbury was last seen, but found no signs of foul play.

Authorities used the Gaston Dam as a staging area for the search and concentrated on the woods around Information Grocery, the last place Stansbury was seen.

The Search Oriented Recovery Team, consisting of county volunteer firefighters, and the Roanoke Valley Rescue Squad aided the Roanoke Rapids Police Department and sheriff's office in the search.

“The volunteers just don't get the pat on the back they deserve,” said Sheriff's Office Maj. Wes Tripp, noting they'd taken time off from their jobs to help out.

The SORT team has performed similar searches before, and is particularly helpful because members use four-wheelers and other equipment the sheriff's office and police department do not have at their disposal, said Andy Jackson, Roanoke Rapids Police Department administrative officer.

Volunteers split up into search parties and used maps and information from the family and the 911 call to do a grid search of the area.

The North Carolina Highway Patrol had agreed to send a helicopter to the area for air support, but fog prevented it.

“We recovered no significant evidence in the case, but let's face it - that's not necessarily a bad thing,” said Sheriff's Office Lt. Bruce Temple, adding he thinks the search will help to put the minds of Stansbury's family at ease a bit.

While the Roanoke Rapids Police Department originally was in charge of the investigation, the location where Stansbury was last seen has broadened the area of the search. Now, the Halifax County Sheriff's Department is assisting.

“It led out of the city and into the county, so together, we're coordinating our investigations jointly and sharing our information and hoping we can find her,” said Roanoke Rapids Police Chief Greg Lawson.

The search, while helpful in eliminating some theories, did not uncover any clues, so it's not yet clear what will happen next.

The police department is hoping for some new leads to help determine the next step in the investigation, Lawson said, and according to Temple, the departments will continue to try and separate hearsay from fact.

In the meantime, both the sheriff's office and police department are hoping Stansbury will contact her family if she is able to.

“She's not in trouble,” Jackson said. “We just want to know that she's living, breathing.”

Stansbury is Caucasian, stands about 5'5” and weighs 110 to 120 pounds, with brownish-blonde hair and blue eyes, and is missing her four front teeth.

She was last seen wearing blue jeans, a black leather jacket and white tennis shoes.

She has a tattoo of a rose on her chest and a heart tattoo on her ankle with her daughter's name.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is encouraged to call the police department at 533-2810 or Halifax County Crimestoppers at 583-4444​

http://www.rrdailyherald.com/articles/2008/02/04/news/news2.txt

THELMA - At the request of family members, a search of the area around Information Grocery was conducted Saturday for a Roanoke Rapids woman missing since Dec. 9, 2006.
Lt. Bobby Martin of the Halifax County Sheriff's Office said Detective Doug Pilgreen was at the site of the search for Shonda Stansbury. A group of volunteers assembled by a woman with a cadaver dog conducted the search.

Martin said the search was conducted despite reports of Stansbury, 24 at the time she was reported missing, being spotted alive and well in Wilson.
more at link​

http://www.rrdailyherald.com/articles/2008/02/09/news/news2.txt

Police: Stansbury may be in danger

Lance Martin, Herald Senior Staff Writer

ROANOKE RAPIDS - The city's police department believes Shonda Stansbury, missing since December 2006, may be in danger.
“We are gravely concerned something serious might have happened to her,” Administrative Officer Andy Jackson told the Daily Herald Thursday.

What makes police so concerned is that records indicate she has not used her Social Security number nor has she sought public assistance in more than a year.

While there have been several sightings of a person who looks like the 25-year-old Stansbury, “No law enforcement officer has made contact and her family has not heard from her in over a year,” said Jackson.

The last search for Stansbury was conducted this past Saturday using six cadaver dogs provided by the Wilmington-based Community United Effort for Missing Persons.

That search, conducted in the Thelma area where a person matching her description was seen being chased by two men on Dec. 14, 2006, was held because law enforcement and other emergency services personnel wanted to make sure they hadn't missed anything in a similar effort last year, Jackson said.

As in the first search, those looking for signs of Stansbury Saturday found no clues. While one dog did make a hit on a scent and a backhoe was called in to dig, nothing was found.

Stansbury's mother first reported her daughter missing Dec. 14, 2006, telling authorities she had not seen or heard from her since Dec. 7 at 1 p.m. “Her mother advised she would call every day.”

The last reported sighting of the woman was on Dec. 9 of 2006, when she was seen being dropped off at Westside Grocery around 6 a.m.

Later on in the day, she was reported missing when someone using a cell phone called 911 at Information Grocery at the intersection of N.C. Highway 903 and U.S. 158. The caller reported seeing a nude white female running down the road beside the store being chased by two black males.

“She was pretty sure it could be Shonda Stansbury,” Jackson said.

The caller, who was fearful to intervene because of possible retaliation, observed blood dripping from the woman's mouth.

Checks of area hospitals turned up no results and since then there have been no confirmed sightings of her, only Halifax County Crimestoppers calls of possible sightings of her in the Wilson area.

Stansbury may have a substance abuse problem, Jackson said, which adds to the concern for her well-being. “It (substance abuse) can take you in areas where a lot of criminal activity goes on. Our concern is she may have met the wrong people.”

It is important that people be on the look-out for her, not only for her own safety but for the well-being of her family.

“The family is deserving of some type of closure,” Jackson said. “You can feel her mother's grief in wanting to know where her daughter is. Her mom just wants some closure. She (Shonda) needs to let her (family) know and if someone has seen her, the family deserves to know.”

Stansbury is Caucasian, stands about 5-feet, 5-inches tall and weighs 110 to 120 pounds, with brownish-blonde hair and blue eyes, and is missing her four front teeth.

She was last seen wearing blue jeans, a blue West Coast Choppers coat and white tennis shoes. She has a tattoo of a rose on her chest and a heart tattoo on her ankle with her daughter's name.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Roanoke Rapids Police Department at 533-2810 or Crimestoppers at 583-4444.​

Cue Center "Road to Remember Tour" 2008

August 21, 2008

Roanoke Rapids, NC 11:30am-12:30pm

Honoring Shonda Stansbury

Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers today.

Please go to this link for their full schedule and if you are near a planned stop, I urge you to attend and support these families and Cue Center.
http://ncmissingpersons.org/otrr_trip.htm

http://www.rrdailyherald.com/articles/2009/02/18/news/doc499c57d5eca3f754336155.txt

Published/Last Modified on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:55 PM CST

“What bothers us,” Jackson said, “is we have contacted agencies who can check on whether a Social Security number has been used across the United States, used for welfare or in search of lawful employment. Her number has not been used since she was missing. That raises a red flag.”

Prayers for Shonda's family and children that she comes home soon.

Why did this woman who saw her running nude down the road with two black men chasing her not start blowing her horn and screaming obsenitys at these men !!! I would have been running them down, I would have never let her out of my sight and calling 911 at the sametime !!! OMG I pray she is alright !!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back