5th Grader Keeps Soup Kitchen Open

Gozgals

Reaction score
Dec 31, 2006 9:46 pm US/Eastern

Fifth-Grader Helps Keep Soup Kitchen Open

Beaded Jewelry Sales Help Liz Feller Raise Money For Needy

(CBS/AP) PEEKSKILL A local soup kitchen was in dire financial straits and facing closure until fifth-grader Liz Feller showed up.

Starting with $60 she had received as a birthday gift, the 10-year-old Cortlandt girl donated $863, mostly from the sale of her handmade beaded jewelry.

It helped to put the kitchen back in business, according to the Rev. Douglas Leonard, pastor of the Reformed Church of Cortlandtown, one of 80 area churches that support the charity. About $34,000 has been contributed, nearly enough to run the program for a year.

Liz, who made the largest donation, said she decided that "since I like beading, it was something that would work well, especially since it's right before the holidays." She sold her handmade jewelry to her friends, her mother's co-workers and other members of her church.

Area churches prepare and donate the food, but a $20,000 annual grant from a big U.S. food and beverage company to St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Peekskill was recently terminated, creating a financial pinch.

Leonard told The Journal News for Sunday's editions that Liz's contribution "kinda puts us to shame, anybody who says they can't do much this year. If you have the will and the heart to do this, you can."

http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/local_story_365173012.html

(© 2006 CBS Broadcasting Inc.

What a giving gesture from this lovely child.:clap: :clap:

Gozgals

Awwwwwwwww...what a dear!!!!! She'll be blessed with many great things in her life, I just know it.

What an uplifting story and such a wonderful child.

I agree what a great story! Her parents have obviously done a great job in raising her and teaching her good values and morals. I'm sure they are extremely proud of the wonderful thing this darling little girl has done for so many people in need. She's truly an angel and role model to her peers. :woohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back