1020 users online (187 members and 833 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alaskan Woman Dies After Mistaking Antifreeze for Home Brew

link

ANCHORAGE, Alaska A 51-year-old Emmonak woman died after drinking antifreeze she mistook for home brew, Alaska State Troopers said.

Thelma Immamak's boyfriend, Franklin Murphy, also drank the toxic liquid with her on Sunday and was medevaced to Anchorage for treatment. His condition was not immediately available Tuesday.

The antifreeze was stored for unknown reasons in a soft drink bottle, according to trooper Teague Widmier.

Emmonak is a dry community, meaning sales and possession of alcohol are banned. The village is about 480 miles northwest of Anchorage.

Immamak and Murphy, 45, had been drinking home brew and thought that's what was in the beverage bottle, Widmier said. Troopers based in Emmonak investigated and didn't find anything criminal, according to Widmier.

Can the citizens of this place not even have alcohol in their homes if they buy it in another district ? if true, it sounds sort of extreme and might have contributed to this accident if the people were heavy drinkers.

Antifreeze is sickningly sweet and pretty nearly glows in color - how on Earth could you mistake it for homebrew?

*mumbles something about how their usual homebrew must be totally nasty...*
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

There is a huge problem with alcohol with some of the native Alaskan population.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    There is a huge problem with alcohol with some of the native Alaskan population.
    Alcoholism can make your taste buds sketchy. I once had an alcoholic boyfriend who drank an entire bottle of chocolate mint liquor which is at MOST tolerable to me in teeny tiny sips without gagging on the sweetness. I probably had the bottle 6 months - maybe had five teaspoons total out of it. He drank the rest in about 5 minutes. *gag*

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki
    Can the citizens of this place not even have alcohol in their homes if they buy it in another district ? if true, it sounds sort of extreme and might have contributed to this accident if the people were heavy drinkers.
    Some Alaskan villages are very remote, so purchasing "supplies" might not be so convenient. Especially during the harsh winter months.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Being a resident of Alaska for 21 years (no longer) I can tell you that the alcohol in those small villages has to be flown in or barged in. There are no roads to the small villages. The reason they ban alcohol is because it is such a problem in the villages so for some of the NA or eskimos, they will try anything to get high. It is a sad fact and easy to ignore because most people will never travel there to see the way they live.

This is a sad story but I am not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Marstan
    Being a resident of Alaska for 21 years (no longer) I can tell you that the alcohol in those small villages has to be flown in or barged in. There are no roads to the small villages. The reason they ban alcohol is because it is such a problem in the villages so for some of the NA or eskimos, they will try anything to get high. It is a sad fact and easy to ignore because most people will never travel there to see the way they live.

This is a sad story but I am not surprised.

I was only there for two years, but it was long enough to see the BIG problem with it. Very sad indeed.

I have an aquaintance who spent months is the hospital after accidentally taking a sip of antifreeze that had been poured into a coffee cup that still had some coffe in it while someone was working on a car. He thought it was his coffee and the sweetness made sense to him because he takes a lot of sugar.

The police were all over him and his friend for a while because accidental antifreeze poisoning is very very rare.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

The alcohol problem in the Inuit community is sad. I knew a girl in high school who's grandfather drank cough syrup daily cause he couldn't afford alcohol. He died from an overdose.

I was watching a doco about this problem in Sibera...very eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by BhamMama
    The alcohol problem in the Inuit community is sad. I knew a girl in high school who's grandfather drank cough syrup daily cause he couldn't afford alcohol. He died from an overdose.

I had heard of "Robo dosing" where kids would drink lots of Robitussin in order to get (drunk? High?) whatever dextramathorophan does to you. I saw in the store the other day, they are now selling dextramathorophan by itself, over the counter, with no cough syrup ingredients. I bought it for my cough, but I was disappointed that they are making it even more available for the kids to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
    I had heard of "Robo dosing" where kids would drink lots of Robitussin in order to get (drunk? High?) whatever dextramathorophan does to you. I saw in the store the other day, they are now selling dextramathorophan by itself, over the counter, with no cough syrup ingredients. I bought it for my cough, but I was disappointed that they are making it even more available for the kids to do this.
    We did this some in college. It just made me sick. I surely don't get the appeal.

However, I'm pretty sure the DM that is NOT in cough syrup doesn't produce the same effect - it's actually safer and less appealing because there is no real high from taking to much DM. It's the DM mixed in with the other ingredients in the cough syrup, including the alcohol, that make you feel altered. And you have to drink the entire bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    We did this some in college. It just made me sick. I surely don't get the appeal.

However, I'm pretty sure the DM that is NOT in cough syrup doesn't produce the same effect - it's actually safer and less appealing because there is no real high from taking to much DM. It's the DM mixed in with the other ingredients in the cough syrup, including the alcohol, that make you feel altered. And you have to drink the entire bottle.
    I was a goody two shoes. The only thing I know about cough syrup with DM in it is that when my daughter was little, I checked on her during her nap and saw red on the side of her mouth. I saw the lid was off the bottle of cough syrup with DM and I played heck waking her up. I was on the phone to poison control (in the middle of NOWHERE) freaking out because her eyes rolled back almost in her head. I had always thought that was a phrase, but not possible before. I FREAKED. I thought it was the DM that caused that.

Anyway, I drank wine coolers to get drunk - didn't ever try anything else. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
    I was a goody two shoes. The only thing I know about cough syrup with DM in it is that when my daughter was little, I checked on her during her nap and saw red on the side of her mouth. I saw the lid was off the bottle of cough syrup with DM and I played heck waking her up. I was on the phone to poison control (in the middle of NOWHERE) freaking out because her eyes rolled back almost in her head. I had always thought that was a phrase, but not possible before. I FREAKED. I thought it was the DM that caused that.

Anyway, I drank wine coolers to get drunk - didn't ever try anything else. :-)
    Well believe me when I say to you that wine coolers are a much tastier way to catch a buzz than robotussin! You're obviously smarter than me!

Quote Originally Posted by BhamMama

Didn't Michael Dukakis's wife drink the type of alcohol you have in your medicine cabinet? Isopropyl something or other? She was desperate for alcohol from what I understand and the drinkable kind had already been removed from the home.

A thousand pardons requested if I have the wrong person in mind!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast