GUILTY WA - Samnang Kok, 17, shot to death at Tacoma high school, 3 Jan 2007

ajc2804

Reaction score
TACOMA, Wash. -- Tacoma police said one person was shot this morning inside Foss High School.

School officials told KOMO-TV one student was transported to a hospital, but they had no details about his or her injuries.

"People came out of the classrooms and they heard something that sounded like fireworks and they just saw the kid laying on the ground," one female student told KOMO-TV. "We just got into the closest classroom we could find and just stayed there until we heard anything."

http://www.wjactv.com/news/10661717/detail.html

TACOMA, Wash. — One person was shot Wednesday morning at a Tacoma public high school, police said as they evacuated students from the building.

It wasn't immediately clear what had happened or if the shooter was still inside the building, said police spokesman Mark Fulghum.

He said police responded to Foss High School shortly after the 7:30 a.m. shooting and were evacuating students. Some students have contacted a local radio station and said they are in lockdown in the school's gym.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,241039,00.html

Oh my; I have a friend who lives in Tacoma with a grandson in High School. I'm sure they have more than one High School but now I'm worried. WHY does this world have to be so crazy?!

Fox's website says that the student was killed, but didn't offer any more details, as it was "breaking."

Fox News reported that the student died on the way to the hospital. :( I think they said the student was 16 years old.

Also said there was supposed to be a news conference upcoming.

Sheromom, here's hoping your friend's grandson is okay.

Fox News Channel just reported that the shooter, who had been on the run, is now in custody.

lizzybeth said:
I just heard this on the news. It makes me afraid to even send my daughter to school every morning.

It's so so sad.

I know the feeling. This was evidently outside the door, tho' so even a metal detector would do no good? I wonder if there were any security officers at that school.

There's always a squad car parked outside my son's middle school. This morning I asked him if there was really a cop there or just a car and he assured me that there is indeed a cop attached to the car. I couldn't imagine dropping him off only to hear that there had been a shooting. Something needs to be done about these school shootings - and fast. This is tragic.

Liz said:
Fox News reported that the student died on the way to the hospital. :( I think they said the student was 16 years old.

Also said there was supposed to be a news conference upcoming.

Sheromom, here's hoping your friend's grandson is okay.
Thanks, Liz; he actually goes to a different high school. This is way too close to home for me! Why are even the children so violent nowadays? I can't understand it!

Surprise Surprise.

And we're 3 days in to the new year.

Wonder how many more kids will get killed before the States chooses to look at it's gun laws.

Jeana (DP) said:
There's always a squad car parked outside my son's middle school. This morning I asked him if there was really a cop there or just a car and he assured me that there is indeed a cop attached to the car. I couldn't imagine dropping him off only to hear that there had been a shooting. Something needs to be done about these school shootings - and fast. This is tragic.

I agree.. I don't know why we are letting this get so out of hand.. :(

thugs, thugs, and more thugs.

THe 17 year old victim was a father? Lordy. I'd be afraid to send my kids to school for that fact alone! It's not a safe place for them to learn anything anymore.

I am all for training and arming teachers and I'm not kidding. If this sparks a gun law hub bub I'm going to be ticked.

ziggy said:
THe 17 year old victim was a father? Lordy. I'd be afraid to send my kids to school for that fact alone! It's not a safe place for them to learn anything anymore.

I am all for training and arming teachers and I'm not kidding. If this sparks a gun law hub bub I'm going to be ticked.
How does putting more guns into the school enviornment become a solution?
My mother is a teacher and she says the second they start handing out handguns with the planning books at the beginning of the school year she is out the door. Teachers are not qualified marksmen. They are (hopefully) dedicated educators and roll models. My mother isn't intrested in modeling Ramboette.
We do need to address this problem and fast but this IMO is not the solution.
Here is a solution lets ban on guns!!!!

mjak

mjak said:
How does putting more guns into the school enviornment become a solution?
My mother is a teacher and she says the second they start handing out handguns with the planning books at the beginning of the school year she is out the door. Teachers are not qualified marksmen. They are (hopefully) dedicated educators and roll models. My mother isn't intrested in modeling Ramboette.
We do need to address this problem and fast but this IMO is not the solution.
Here is a solution lets ban on guns!!!!

mjak
Yeah, because someone who has decided to commit murder is concerned about their weapon being legal. And, of course, it would have been MUCH better had this kid STABBED the other kid, instead of shooting them, right?

I am also for arming teachers who wish to be armed, with proper training, for emergency situations like this.

It's sad that our country is getting this bad and so out of hand. :(

narlacat said:
Surprise Surprise.

Wonder how many more kids will get killed before the States chooses to look at it's gun laws.

Our Founding Fathers realized there would be abuses of guns just as this and felt the value of having a population be able to defend itself against tyranny far outweighed the costs, and a majority of people in the US agree (OK gun snatchers, I know you’re out there to argue this). Australia didn’t have to fight for its independence and has never been under significant foreign rule (don’t know about the time just after the country was formed- you can enlighten me), so you may not be forged the same way. As a measure of how strongly we feel on this matter, our Constitution provides for the right to keep and bear arms. Incidentally, look at how well Britain’s gun control is (not)working; here some call such laws “victim disarmament”.

narlacat said:
Surprise Surprise.

Hey Narl,

Your argument is an emotional one and something needs to be done for sure. However, taking guns away (that's the only one where you can guarantee no guns) will result in more killings. States that enacted concealed carry laws have seen strong arm crimes plummet. Why? Because cons are afraid of getting shot--it's all they fear.

If you take away the guns, the criminals are the only ones that will have guns. To a criminal, they break the law routinely...do you think that they will just suddenly stop and give up their guns?

I think a good first step would be to make it a felony punishable by a LONG time in jail if your child gets that gun and takes it to school or hurts themselves or someone else with it. Change the habits of the gun owner and you will cut down on much of this.

Unfortunately, the nature of man stands in the way of keeping everyone safe at all times. If not guns, then knives. If not knives, bats. If not bats, sticks. Are we going to outlaw trees?

Sad, prayers to this kid's family.

Cal

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member