963 users online (158 members and 805 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

IL - Barbara, 15, & Patricia Grimes, 13, Chicago, 27 Dec 1956

Last edited by bessie; 08-26-2014 at 03:12 AM. Reason: repaired link

I recently came across the Grimes case quite incidentally, while looking for something else...I had actually heard about it before, but it was good to refresh my memory. I was pretty intrigued by the story.

One thing I was curious about from the account was the phone call to Sandra. The articles say she was a "classmate" of Patricia's. I'm guessing she must have been significantly closer than that, because otherwise, why else would a girl under supposed duress have chosen to call her? I mean, really, if you were kidnapped or in some kind of danger, and only had one chance to get to a phone, would "classmate" be your first choice of contact? So, I'm wondering if either A) Sandra was a very close friend, and for whatever reason the girls were somewhere that they were scared to call home, and hoping Sandra could help instead, or B) the calls were a prank and had nothing to do with the Grimes' disappearance.

The Grime Sisters murder

Originally posted by:anneinchicago, moved to cold case board for discussion

The Grime Sisters
    Barbara Grimes and Patricia Grimes disappeared on December 28, 1956, in Chicago, Illinois and their dead bodies were discovered on January 22, 1957. Their murder case is known as the Grimes sisters' murder case and it is still unsolved today... More...

Quote Originally Posted by imamaze View Post
    Originally posted by:anneinchicago, moved to cold case board for discussion

The Grime Sisters
    Barbara Grimes and Patricia Grimes disappeared on December 28, 1956, in Chicago, Illinois and their dead bodies were discovered on January 22, 1957. Their murder case is known as the Grimes sisters' murder case and it is still unsolved today... More...
    Hi,
    I remember this case vividly!! I was a teenager when it happened and it was so shocking at the time. I have thought about these girls many times over the years and have often wondered if the case had ever beren solved. I would like to know where I can find more information on the case, There was also another murder case I remember from near the same time. It was a girl name Judith Anderson that was found floating in a metal drum in a boat basin around Montrose beach?? It has been so long ago and I do not remember much of the details but it has stayed in my mind all these years. Would love to hear from anyone that knows how I can find out more info on these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumsy View Post
    Hi,
    I remember this case vividly!! I was a teenager when it happened and it was so shocking at the time. I have thought about these girls many times over the years and have often wondered if the case had ever beren solved. I would like to know where I can find more information on the case, There was also another murder case I remember from near the same time. It was a girl name Judith Anderson that was found floating in a metal drum in a boat basin around Montrose beach?? It has been so long ago and I do not remember much of the details but it has stayed in my mind all these years. Would love to hear from anyone that knows how I can find out more info on these cases.
    There's more information on both murders in the book "Getting Away With Murder: 57 Unsolved Murders With Reward Information" by Art Petacque and Hugh Hough
    There are sites with more info on the Grimes sisters. Running "Grimes Sisters Murders" through a search engine will turn them up. Same with Judith Anderson. Here's the Wikipedia entry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_sisters
    Last edited by Bargle; 03-04-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added a little more info.

Yes, this case was thought to be connected to the Judith Anderson murder. It was also thought the Grimes Sisters murder might be connected to the Schuessler-Peterson murders in October 1955, until an arrest was made in that case 40 years later in 1995

http://www.prairieghosts.com/spmurders.html

Here is another short thread on here for the Grimes Sisters.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...Grimes+Sisters
    Last edited by MaryLiz; 03-04-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Added link

I think the Grimes Sisters and the Schuessler-Peterson murders may be connected, although Hanson was only convicted of killing the boys. Just because he didn't confess and they didn't find any evidence doesn't mean he didn't do it. Also, according to one of the websites Silas Jayne confessed to the Grimes Sisters' murders and then recanted. He was just the kind of guy who would have toyed with the police because he knew who did it. The fact that both groups of children were going to the movies and both were found discarded and naked really makes it look like it could be the same perpetrator, or group of perpetrators.
    Last edited by HesterMofet; 03-05-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by HesterMofet View Post
    I think the Grimes Sisters and the Schuessler-Peterson murders may be connected, although Hanson was only convicted of killing the boys. Just because he didn't confess and they didn't find any evidence doesn't mean he didn't do it. Also, according to one of the websites Silas Jayne confessed to the Grimes Sisters' murders and then recanted. He was just the kind of guy who would have toyed with the police because he knew who did it. The fact that both groups of children were going to the movies and both were found discarded and naked really makes it look like it could be the same perpetrator, or group of perpetrators.
    You're right...even though they reportedly solved the Schuessler-Peterson murders with Kenneth Hansen's arrest, I still thought the Grimes Sisters case was connected. Lord only knows with Silas Jayne and his goons from the horse mafia, what all they were guilty of. There were too many unsolved crimes that seemed connected to them, including the baffling disappearance of the 3 women at the Indiana Dunes State Park in 1966.
    Last edited by MaryLiz; 03-05-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    You're right...even though they reportedly solved the Schuessler-Peterson murders with Kenneth Hansen's arrest, I still thought the Grimes Sisters case was connected. Lord only knows with Silas Jayne and his goons from the horse mafia, what all they were guilty of. There were too many unsolved crimes that seemed connected to them, including the baffling disappearance of the 3 women at the Indiana Dunes State Park in 1966.
    I just read about the Grimes Sisters case yesterday on another site. What a tragedy!

I'll have to read up on this one, as well as the Judith Anderson case.

There sure are a lot of sickos in the world

Wow, I cannot believe the thread for these girls is so short. Truly one of the most fascinating unsolved cases I have ever heard of. It was said that the elder Grimes sister was “fast” for the 1950s anyway and that she might have been a prostitute who met up with some older boys. This I doubt.

But what was most creepy was the fact that the site where the girls were dumped was not far from a little house that was occupied by a family with young children. The police interviewed the family, who I believe admitted to hearing a car door slam. When the police returned either the next day or a few days later, the house was abandoned and by all reports, that house was left fast quick in a hurry.
    There were childrens’ toys scattered haphazardly and other things that suggested that that this family took only the bare necessities and left. It seems to me that they were scared off the place.

The house stood for years and got the reputation of being haunted. Not sure if it is still there.

Another interesting thing. John Wayne Gacy was growing up in Chicago at that point and was believed to have frequented the same theatre that the Grimes sisters saw the movie at. But I doubt Gacy was involved in this. He only killed boys.

Quote Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
    Wow, I cannot believe the thread for these girls is so short. Truly one of the most fascinating unsolved cases I have ever heard of. It was said that the elder Grimes sister was “fast” for the 1950s anyway and that she might have been a prostitute who met up with some older boys. This I doubt.

But what was most creepy was the fact that the site where the girls were dumped was not far from a little house that was occupied by a family with young children. The police interviewed the family, who I believe admitted to hearing a car door slam. When the police returned either the next day or a few days later, the house was abandoned and by all reports, that house was left fast quick in a hurry.
    There were childrens’ toys scattered haphazardly and other things that suggested that that this family took only the bare necessities and left. It seems to me that they were scared off the place.

The house stood for years and got the reputation of being haunted. Not sure if it is still there.

Another interesting thing. John Wayne Gacy was growing up in Chicago at that point and was believed to have frequented the same theatre that the Grimes sisters saw the movie at. But I doubt Gacy was involved in this. He only killed boys.
    curious though, how old was gacy at that point?

I am thinking he would have been a teenager.

Sounds like maybe max fleig was the best suspect they had...confessed, flunked a poly, and later convicted of murdering a young woman...

Never heard of Max Fleig

Here is a book review of a book on the case:

Murder Gone Cold: The Mystery of the Grimes Sisters by Tamara Shaffer. (Ghost Research Society Press, $14.95). At 7:15 p.m. on December 28, 1956, 15-year-old Barbara Grimes and her sister Patricia, 13, left home to see Elvis Presley’s Love Me Tender at Brighton Theater in Chicago. They didn’t come home that night—or ever again. The Grimes sisters’ frozen bodies were found by Leonard Prescott along German Church Road, southwest of the city, 26 days after they disappeared. A crime that rocked and shocked Chicago, to this day, it remains unsolved. Chicago writer Tamara Shaffer pens a meticulously researched and richly detailed account of the crime and its aftermath.
    —Colleen Fahy

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast