NC - No answers as to how infant died

Shadow205

Reaction score
Medical examiner still hasn’t issued a report

Christian Giggenbach
Register-Herald Reporter

The December 2005 death of a 3-week-old infant in Raleigh County continues to be shrouded in mystery because the state medical examiner’s office has failed to issue any findings in the case.

Just over a year ago, on Dec. 12, 2005, police were dispatched to Raleigh General Hospital after receiving a call about a dead infant transported to the hospital by his parents, Benjamin Tyson Honaker, 26, of White Sulphur Springs, and Jennifer Payne Honaker, age unknown. The couple had stayed the previous night at Park Inns & Suites, where police believe the child died in their presence.

When contacted by The Register-Herald Tuesday, officials from the medical examiner’s office gave no specific reason for the delay and said the report “will be released shortly.”

“There was some clarification in this investigation that had to be forwarded to our office,” Mike Scragg, director of investigations for the medical examiner’s office, said. “The doctor (in charge of the case) has been notified, and the case will be released shortly.”

Just two weeks after the infant’s death, one official from the medical examiner’s office said a report would be forthcoming in “four to six weeks.” When contacted again last March, Chief Medical Examiner Dr. James Kaplan said cases handed to his office in December 2005 “should have already been completed,” but he said it sometimes takes “two to three months or even longer if there are unanswered questions about the death.”

Raleigh County authorities say the investigation is pending, but that they can’t move forward until a cause of death has been issued.

No charges have been filed in the infant’s death. As of late Wednesday, Raleigh County Prosecutor Larry Frail said no report on the infant’s death had been received by his office.

More at the link http://www.register-herald.com/local/local_story_003222017.html

This is absolutely unacceptable. A year has passed and the medical examiners office has not released a report on the cause of death! The Prosecuter's office says no charges have been filed in the case because they have not received a report from the ME's office.

The article says that the babies father was charged previously with abusing the mothers children from another relationship.

NO doubt he caused this IMO ... So she stayed with the dirtball knowing he was abusive and sent the children to live with their biological father.
She is a dirtball too.

You're right Amraan. I am upset that a whole year has passed and a cause of death has not been determined. No report has been sent to the Prosecutor's Office so therefore no charges have been filed. I don't give a crap what kind of tests they are doing it doesn't take a year! Why has LE or the Prosecutor's office not been in touch with the ME's office DAILY to find out what the hold up is? This is just inexcusable.

Once again, no one has ever been charged for the murder of baby Bishop Payne. Benjamin Honaker was convicted on 2 counts of Child Abuse by Parent Resulting in Injury on 4/10/2006. However, this relates to other children he abused, not the one who was killed. He also was convicted on 3/31/2009 for Conspiracy to Commit Forgery-Credit Card. Between those 2 convictions, he is still incarcerated as below. Due to the parole date, I suspect the confinement is for the forgery charge.

Housed: Huttonsville Correctional Center
Projected Release Date: 3/30/2011
Max. Parole Date: 9/13/2012

I was not able to find any information as relates to the mother, Jennifer Payne Honaker.

WHY ARE THESE CASES NOT BEING PROSECUTED? THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

did the coroner ever list a cause of death?

I think it probably was, but wasn't publicized because then they would be pressured to make an arrest. Wouldn't want that, would we?

I sent an email to the reporter of the above story to see if they know anything more about this case. I have not found one scintilla of information regarding the issuing of a cause of death or any prosecution.

If the medical examiner can't find a cause of death, it is hard to list manner of death. Suffocating a baby often mimics crib death in autopsy findings.

If the medical examiner can't find a cause of death, it is hard to list manner of death. Suffocating a baby often mimics crib death in autopsy findings.
This is insane that no one touched these parents for murder

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back