VT - Kyle Berthiaume for raping young girl, Highgate, 2006

So, did Kyle get the charges of sexually assaulting a girl at high school dismissed at the same time? I'll bet there were other children being abused as well if they would have checked back far enough. Hopefully, this program will work but if he is doing this at age 16-17, I don't know. I wouldn't want revenge, but would never forgive someone who raped me and especially my child, but would try and fight for future or previous victims. God can forgive them, but normal people have to look out for each other. My grandson knows a little small boy who brought marijuana to school and had to go to juvenile detention for about 3 weeks. He got more actual punishment than this much older child rapist who knew what he was doing more than a little boy.

The little girl was seven when the rapes began occurring. How old is she now, I wonder? I am ALL about forgiving people who do harm to us because I think it's the only path to freedom, but is this girl old enough to have processed what happened to her and arrive at such a place of compassion. Just curious.

I applaud her and her mother for their stance, but I guess I would like more information. If my child was raped, I would absolutely strive and pray to get to the place where I could forgive and love the offender.

I hope the rapist can be helped, but he is obviously a pedophile (if he was 17 and raping a 7 year old) and, in my opinion, pedophelia is a sexual orientation that cannot be cured. That said, perhaps he can learn not to offend - though I think it is very difficult to train someone to NOT act out on their sexual desires.

Personally, I think that it is disgusting that he got off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist, even if she forgave him that does not excuse his actions. There is almost a 94% recidivism rate among child sex offenders. When this guy gets out, he will do this again.

I'm all for forgiveness, but the boy needs to be punished. He raped this child for two years over a dozen times. The mother ran a home day care center. Who knows how many other children were violated by this creep?

I say, take him to court, prosecute him, visit him in jail, and then tell him that he's forgiven.

How much of this forgiveness comes from Mommy, rather than the little girl who was raped repeatedly in the woods?

If a person can find forgiveness they're a better person than I am, but what about protecting other children???? If he's free to roam there will be other victims and now he may see it necessary to murder them so they won't tell. A sexual preditor is a preditor for life and the only way to protect society is for them to be locked up IMO

VB

Vegas Bride said:
If a person can find forgiveness they're a better person than I am, but what about protecting other children???? If he's free to roam there will be other victims and now he may see it necessary to murder them so they won't tell. A sexual preditor is a preditor for life and the only way to protect society is for them to be locked up IMO

VB

The little girl is now nine I believe. You're right. Future victims should be protected. I'm not even sure what type of forgiveness for the worst criminals of society is being taught by some preachers nowadays. I can see trying not to have hate in the heart, revenge, and leaving a person's final judgement and eternity in God's hands, but to totally deny the severity of a crime and danger to others doesn't seem mentally healthy or being in touch with reality at all. This little girl could be getting set up to be taken advantage of by more predators someday if she doesn't realize that there is real evil in this world and no amount of forgiving them is going to change things.

How much does this mother even know about the chances of this teenager reoffending? How much does she know about the type of sickness that he has?

I think that being able to forgive him is healthy and she is right in the things that she said about healing BUT this kid committed a horrible crime and he should still be held responsible for it. He didn't just rape that little girl once but over and over. At nine years old the mother has no idea what could lie ahead for her daughter. Does she know the damage that being raped does to a child? Is the child in counseling? Forgiveness is just a small part of the healing and understanding rape and whose fault it is etc.

It really bothers me that a judge and the attorneys went along with what this mother wanted. This kid should have served some time...forget those classes that don't work because these rapists can't be fixed. Does the mother know that? Maybe serve some time and then go into a program but not let him off with some sex offender program.

How is the mother going to feel when this boy rapes his next victim because it will happen. He raped that little girl over a two year period...I believe. He is a very sick young man. I also want to add that the little girl wasn't old enough to be a part of a decision like that. Sending someone to prison isn't about revenge.....it is about justice.

Someone please clue me in on how a child of that age really knows how to say that they forgive someone who inflicted so much pain upon them.

How was the seed planted in their mind that they should forgive.

What does a child know about speaking to a judge through a statement to help the person who commited a crime.

Who's heart was the judge listening to?

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

txsvicki said:
This little girl could be getting set up to be taken advantage of by more predators someday if she doesn't realize that there is real evil in this world and no amount of forgiving them is going to change things.
Hi Txsvicki,:)
You are so right with your post.
Now, what if it is her own mothers words that sets this girl up for the above quote....

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Bobbisangel said:
How much does this mother even know about the chances of this teenager reoffending? How much does she know about the type of sickness that he has?

I think that being able to forgive him is healthy and she is right in the things that she said about healing BUT this kid committed a horrible crime and he should still be held responsible for it. He didn't just rape that little girl once but over and over. At nine years old the mother has no idea what could lie ahead for her daughter. Does she know the damage that being raped does to a child? Is the child in counseling? Forgiveness is just a small part of the healing and understanding rape and whose fault it is etc.

It really bothers me that a judge and the attorneys went along with what this mother wanted. This kid should have served some time...forget those classes that don't work because these rapists can't be fixed. Does the mother know that? Maybe serve some time and then go into a program but not let him off with some sex offender program.

How is the mother going to feel when this boy rapes his next victim because it will happen. He raped that little girl over a two year period...I believe. He is a very sick young man. I also want to add that the little girl wasn't old enough to be a part of a decision like that. Sending someone to prison isn't about revenge.....it is about justice.
Hi Bobbisangel,:)

Thank-you so much for your post.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

How does a 9 year old know that a repeated rapist just "needs help"?

I highly doubt this is a decision she came to with her own knowledge of the criminal mind.

IMO this girl is being victimized again by this decision.

"forgiveness" does not cure child rapists anyway. She can forgive him just as well, and maybe even better, while he is safely put away in a jail cell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back