907 users online (141 members and 766 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LA - Westlake mayor Gerald Washington, 57, found dead, 30 Dec 2006

Louisiana mayor's death stirs furor

WESTLAKE, La. - In the hours before his death on the evening of Dec. 30, the first black mayor of this overwhelmingly white town started learning his new job.

About noon, he set City Hall's alarm system for the first time. He got instructions on how to raise and lower the U.S. flag. He had already ordered a new mayoral letterhead with his name on it and a button-down shirt embroidered "Gerald Washington, Mayor."

A few hours later he indulged in a hobby, placing a $4 bet at a nearby horse racing track.

But by 10 p.m. Gerald "Wash" Washington was dead in the deserted parking lot of a former high school, a bullet wound in his chest. His gun was found by the body.

The coroner and the sheriff have pronounced Washington's death a suicide a finding that has embroiled this oil-refinery town in conspiracy theories, with Washington's kin and friends insisting he had no reason to end his life.

more at link:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070106/.../mayor_s_death

Hmmm....No suicide note. Nothing to outwardly indicate that he was suffering from depression, or had bid farewell to anyone. He had just successfully ended a campaign for mayor and was elected---the first black mayor ever for that town.

According to the article, the only reason his death is classififed as a suicide is because there was soot from the pistol in the chest wound, indicating the gun was touching his chest when fired. THAT is why this was ruled a suicide??? What, it's only a murder if the shot ISN'T fired from close range??? It's not possible that the murderer had the gun shoved up against his chest????

Going on what was stated in the article, it is more than obvious to me that it wasn't a suicide. The police and coroner even said they don't have anything else to indicate it was a suicide.

Somebody didn't want that town to have him as their mayor. It wouldn't surprise me if it WAS racially motivated.

This does not sound like a man who was going to commit suicide. Don't know why, or by whom but I think he was murdered!

Someone in the police didn't want him as mayor - maybe? Sure sounds like anything but a suicide!!! No way gunshot residue on his chest proves anything about suicide.

I really do not think he killed himself.

New Mayor's Death - Murder or Suicide?

Story here:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/06/may....ap/index.html

Excerpt:

"WESTLAKE, Louisiana (AP) -- In the hours before his death on the evening of December 30, the first black mayor of this overwhelmingly white town started learning his new job. About noon, he set City Hall's alarm system for the first time. He got instructions on how to raise and lower the U.S. flag. He had already ordered a new mayoral letterhead with his name on it and a button-down shirt embroidered "Gerald Washington, Mayor."

A few hours later he indulged in a hobby, placing a $4 bet at a nearby horse-racing track.

But by 10 p.m. Gerald "Wash" Washington was dead in the deserted parking lot of a former high school, a bullet wound in his chest. His gun was found by the body."

My opinion:

Mr. Washington did a lot that day to prepare for his new job. He ordered letterhead and a shirt, he learned how to set City Hall's alarm system and how to raise and lower the flag.

It doesn't sound like suicide to me because he spent the day preparing for the future.

What do you think?

Doesn't sound like suicide to me because the investigation was so slipshod and obviously biased. Gunshot residue on his chest only shows that the killer put the gun to his chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Details
    Doesn't sound like suicide to me because the investigation was so slipshod and obviously biased. Gunshot residue on his chest only shows that the killer put the gun to his chest.
    I agree. I happen to"know" this little Louisiana town. I am surprised he was allowed to be elected at all. There are pockets of extreme prejudice that have festered for years.

Louisiana politics are known for corruption but little is known about self-imposed vigilante groups. That is all I can safely say.

His courage should make his family proud.

The news reports mention gunshot residue on the chest, but I haven't found any mention of whether his hands were tested. I thought that one of the ways that coroners determine suicide vs. murder is to see if the victim's hands had gunshot residue from firing the weapon. Also there is no mention of whether the gun and car were tested for fingerprints.

I have to agree with everyone that he did not sound like a man about to commit suicide. From what he did that day, it seems like he was looking forward to starting as mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by MSM
    The news reports mention gunshot residue on the chest, but I haven't found any mention of whether his hands were tested. I thought that one of the ways that coroners determine suicide vs. murder is to see if the victim's hands had gunshot residue from firing the weapon. Also there is no mention of whether the gun and car were tested for fingerprints.

I have to agree with everyone that he did not sound like a man about to commit suicide. From what he did that day, it seems like he was looking forward to starting as mayor.
    Gunpowder residue also can be found on a victim that was shot at very close range. Did they comment that gun residue was found on his hand? Even if so it may only mean he was grappling with the gun when it fired.

I just dont believe this man killed himself. It makes no sense whatsoever imo.

IMO

Ocean
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by RoughlyCollie
    Story here:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/06/may....ap/index.html

Excerpt:

"WESTLAKE, Louisiana (AP) -- In the hours before his death on the evening of December 30, the first black mayor of this overwhelmingly white town started learning his new job. About noon, he set City Hall's alarm system for the first time. He got instructions on how to raise and lower the U.S. flag. He had already ordered a new mayoral letterhead with his name on it and a button-down shirt embroidered "Gerald Washington, Mayor."

A few hours later he indulged in a hobby, placing a $4 bet at a nearby horse-racing track.

But by 10 p.m. Gerald "Wash" Washington was dead in the deserted parking lot of a former high school, a bullet wound in his chest. His gun was found by the body."

My opinion:

Mr. Washington did a lot that day to prepare for his new job. He ordered letterhead and a shirt, he learned how to set City Hall's alarm system and how to raise and lower the flag.

It doesn't sound like suicide to me because he spent the day preparing for the future.

What do you think?
    Why does this conjure up images of the Derwin Brown murder? Sidney Dorsey had just lost re-election after being sheriff for a long time in Atlanta. He hired hitmen (rouge cops) to murder DB who was to be sworn in 3 days after his murder.

Something stinks to high heaven in this case. I think a Special Prosecutor needs to be brought in.

Imo the truth will never be found in that town unless an outsider comes in.

IMO

Ocean
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Talking

IMO He was elected that means that the majority of the mostly white town voted him in!!!! How come it is racially motivated? Couldn't it be other things? He was trying to help someone he knew on the darker side of life? He met with someone they wanted a favor and he wouldn't do it? Come on people you come up with other options all the time. I have 2 ways of looking at the news reports LE doesn't want to show their hand and want to keep their investigation just that their invesigation. OR LE's can be idiots just like anyone else, as we have all seen. I am positive there are a huge amount of murders mis-reported white or black, yellow or red. Unless like in this case it is high profile or the family has the anger and energy to fight back they just get swept under the carpet. Just like missing leave it up to LE and we wouldn't hear about anybody missing at all no matter the color.
    Last edited by mom3dd; 01-08-2007 at 08:20 AM. Reason: adding to

Quote Originally Posted by mom3dd
    IMO He was elected that means that the majority of the mostly white town voted him in!!!! How come it is racially motivated? Couldn't it be other things? He was trying to help someone he knew on the darker side of life? He met with someone they wanted a favor and he wouldn't do it? Come on people you come up with other options all the time. I have 2 ways of looking at the news reports LE doesn't want to show their hand and want to keep their investigation just that their investigation. OR LE's can be idiots just like anyone else, as we have all seen. I am positive there are a huge amount of murders mis-reported white or black, yellow or red. Unless like in this case it is high profile or the family has the anger and energy to fight back they just get swept under the carpet. Just like missing leave it up to LE and we wouldn't hear about anybody missing at all no matter the color.
    Well since he did not get all the votes in his county that means that plenty did not want to see him as Mayor. It only takes one loose nut to bring someone down.

Look at all the things that Larry Flynn went through (which I find him despicable) but it was one lone shooter in Georgia that shot him. Others just hated him from afar.

I think someone was very displeased that this man was now going to represent their county.

IMO

Ocean

Another Louisiana town's first black mayor home was shot at. This happened in Greenwood, La. close to Shreveport. I wonder if this is coincidental or planned?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/09/may....ap/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    Another Louisiana town's first black mayor home was shot at. This happened in Greenwood, La. close to Shreveport. I wonder if this is coincidental or planned?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/09/may....ap/index.html
    Seems suspicious to me. If I was a black mayor in Louisiana, I'd be asking for a whole lot of extra security right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast