1027 users online (214 members and 813 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Hi and welcome to Websleuths!

I am so glad you posted all of that info!

questions for wfd

Nice post wfd. Now I'M curious. Do you have any pictures of Casey from 1975 or so? Also, do you happen to know the types of cars envolved when he was switching "tags"?

Lyon Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb View Post
    Nice post wfd. Now I'M curious. Do you have any pictures of Casey from 1975 or so? Also, do you happen to know the types of cars envolved when he was switching "tags"?
    As far as I know my parents have no pictures of him at all. He had real short hair and was graying on the sides and top quite a bit. He did have a face that kind of revealed his Irish descent. I seem to remember his face was somewhat red in the few times I saw him in 74-75. I think that must have come from his excessive drinking. I also can not remember the car he was driving. But from my memory. I want to say he used to drive an early 70's Chevrolet. He always wore darker color (blue,gray,brown) suits. I always remember whenever I saw him he used to have his dress shirt and tie a bit loose so that it showed a white t-shirt underneath. But that was when he was sitting down and talking.
    I did also find out that Casey grew up in DC and in the 1940's attended Gonzaga and also Coolidge High Schools. I also found out that he graduated from Duquense University in Pittsburgh Pa. I do also know his oldest son is an eye doctor in Raleigh NC. Though I do not think there was ever much communication between Casey and his kids after the 1970's. Before his divorce, he and his family had lived in Potomac in the the early 70's on a street I believe is called Goya Drive.
    My dad did a follow up with the police in the 1970's. From what the police told my dad is that they thoroughly checked Casey out and could not hold him because they were unable to find any evidence to link him.
    Though the tape recorder was a quite popular gadget during that period. I still think it odd that he used to carry one around in his briefcase.
    I did call the Montgomery County Police in Feb and spoke to a detective. He said he would pass on the info to the detectives in charge. I also told him I was posting info here on websleuths. Maybe if Casey is still alive they will go and re-interview him and if he was in fact involved he will now tell them.
    Last edited by wfd; 03-04-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add words

11 o'clock news 23mar10

Last night on Ch. 9 News, they did an anniversary story about the Lyon Girls. Nothing was said we don't already know. However, they did indicate in a round about way, that the 2 girls were talking to a man with a cassette player at the plaza 25Mar75. I posted this because there has been much disscussion based on; were the girls talking to a TRM that day, & was a TRM at the plaza that day.

WUSATV9 35 year anniversary story

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb View Post
    Last night on Ch. 9 News, they did an anniversary story about the Lyon Girls. Nothing was said we don't already know. However, they did indicate in a round about way, that the 2 girls were talking to a man with a cassette player at the plaza 25Mar75. I posted this because there has been much disscussion based on; were the girls talking to a TRM that day, & was a TRM at the plaza that day.

Thanks for the info on channel nine, JEB. Here is what they posted on their website. There are some interesting comments posted there. Note that the sketches referred to in this post can be seen at the link below.

This is my 3,000th post on Websleuths. Rather appropriate, since the Lyon case is one of the first I ever posted on. I believe that there are answers out there.

On Wednesday, 23 March 2010, WUSA TV channel 9 (CBS) featured a 35 year anniversary story about the disappearance of the Lyon sisters. Most of their story came from information found on the Doenetwork site and at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. New in this story are updated sketches of how the girls might look today. Also included was a copy of the 1975 sketch of the tape recorder man.

------------------------------------------------------------------

KENSINGTON, Md. (WUSA)--Sheila Lyon and her younger sister, Katherine, lived in Kensington, Maryland with their 2 brothers and parents, Mary and John Lyon. John Lyon was a well known radio personality at WMAL. On March 25, 1975, just days before both girls' birthdays, Sheila (then 12-years-old) and Katherine (then 10-years-old) left their family home on Plyers Mill Road in Kensington between 11:00 a.m. and 12noon.

The girls were walking to the Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center in Montgomery County, which was approximately one-half mile from their house and located on the corner of University Boulevard and Veirs Mills Road. Sheila and Katherine were on spring vacation from school and wanted to see the Easter exhibits at the mall, as well as have lunch at The Orange Bowl Restaurant, which was on the mall premises.

A neighborhood child saw the girls outside the restaurant at approximately 1:00 p.m. He told investigators that the sisters were speaking to an unidentified middle-aged man wearing a brown suit. The man was carrying a briefcase with a tape cassette recorder inside; there were also other children around who were speaking into a microphone he was holding. The witness' description of the man led authorities to view the unknown person as a prime suspect in the Lyons' sisters' case and a sketch of the individual was created.

Composite Sketch of Man Seen With Tape Cassette Recorder
    (Source: Montgomery County Police, 1975)

The girls' older brother saw Sheila and Katherine inside The Orange Bowl Restaurant eating pizza together at approximately 2:00 p.m. A friend stated that the girls were later seen walking westward down Drumm Avenue near Devon Street between 2:30--3:00 p.m. This would have been one of the most direct routes to their house on Plyers Mill Road from the mall and was the final confirmed sighting of the sisters. Their mother had instructed Sheila and Katherine to return home by 4:00 p.m. When they did not arrive by 7:00 p.m., authorities were summoned and an extensive search was conducted.

Several extortion-type phone calls were made to the Lyons family in the weeks following the girls' disappearances. The most serious call came from an unidentified male on April 4, 1975. The individual demanded that their father leave a briefcase with $10,000 inside an Annapolis, Maryland courthouse restroom. The money was left as per the instructions but was never claimed. The caller later maintained that police had surrounded the courthouse and he could not retrieve the ransom. Before the money would be offered to the man again, he was required to show evidence of the Lyon sisters in his custody. The caller said he would be in touch with the family, but never called back.

A witness in Manassas, Virginia reported seeing two girls resembling Sheila and Katherine in the rear of a 1968 beige Ford station wagon on April 7, 1975. The witness stated that the girls were observed bound and gagged in the vehicle at approximately 7:30 a.m. that day. The witness said the driver of the station wagon resembled the man seen questioning children at The Orange Bowl Restaurant the day the sisters vanished.The witness says when the driver spotted the witness tailing him, he ran a red light and sped west on Route 234 towards Interstate 66 in Virginia. The station wagon had Maryland license plates with the possible combination "DMT-6**." The last two numbers are unknown due to the bending of the car's plate. The known combination was issued in Cumberland, Hagerstown and Baltimore, Maryland at the time. A search for the plate numbers came up empty. This witness's report was at first treated as credible, but was later deemed "questionable."

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. was viewed with interest in the sisters' cases beginning in March 1987. Coffey is serving a life sentence in a North Carolina prison for murder and child molestation convictions. Authorities learned that he began working at a scientific firm based in Silver Spring, Maryland one month after the Lyon sisters vanished. Investigators have been unable to determine if Coffey is connected to the cases and he has never been charged in their disappearances.

Investigators considered Raymond Rudolph Mileski, Sr. another potential person of interest in the girls' disappearances. Mileski resided in the 5810 block of Suitland Road in Suitland, Maryland in 1975. He murdered his wife and teenage son inside their home after a disagreement in November 1977. Mileski's younger son was wounded in the incident. He was convicted of the homicides in 1978 and sentenced to 40 years in prison. Authorities searched the yard of his former residence in April 1982 for material connected to the Lyons' cases, but no evidence was discovered, an no charges were ever filed. The girls' disappearances remain unsolved.

Today Sheila would be 47-years-old. Katherine would be 45-years-old. Using both art and science, The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Alexandria, Virginia have created age enhanced progression images of the Lyon sisters.

Left: Sheila Lyon, circa 1975; Right: Age-progression image at age 47, circa October 30, 2009 (Source: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children).

Vital Statistics at the Time of Disappearance:

Missing Since: March 25, 1975 from Wheaton, Maryland
    Date of Birth: March 30, 1962
    Height and Weight: 5'2"; 100 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair, blue eyes. Sheila wears eyeglasses

Left: Katherine Lyon, circa 1975; Right: Age-progression inage at age 45, circa November 4, 2009

(Source: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children).

Vital Statistics at the Time of Disappearance:

Missing Since: March 25, 1975 from Wheaton, Maryland
    Date of Birth: March 29, 1964
    Height and Weight: 4'8"; 85 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair; blue eyes. Katherine has a birthmark inside her upper thigh. Her nickname is "Kate."

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Montgomery County Police Department 301-279-8000 or 240-773-5070.

The National Center for Missing and Exloited Children 1-800-THE-LOST

Source

WUSA9.com | Washington, DC | Lyon Sisters: Missing 35 years

link:

http://www.wusa9.com/rss/local_artic...?storyid=98861
    Last edited by Richard; 03-24-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spacing and format

Project Jason website features Lyon case...

Here is another link to a website which has posted a number of recent press stories on the Lyon case:

http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=8126.0

Today is the 35th anniversary since their disappearance.

Thinking of the Lyon sisters on this sad anniversary. I find myself remembering the spring of 1975. I was only 8, but I have clear memories, and remember the world then. It is hard to picture them in their 40's now like me. They are forever about to turn 11 and 13....

35 year Anniversary article in The Sentinel

The Sentinel
    Missing Lyon Girls case now 35 years old
    Published on: Thursday, March 18, 2010

By Annie Farber

Two young girls walked to Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center for lunch were never seen or heard from again.

Katherine and Sheila Lyon, sisters who lived on Plyers Mill Road in Kensington, were on their school’s spring break when it happened. Katherine, then 10 years old, and Sheila, then 12, decided to get pizza for lunch and visit an Easter exhibit in the mall. That was March 25, 1975, nearly 35 years ago.

Several later claimed they had seen the girls speaking with an older man who had a tape recorder in a briefcase. Sketches of the man were compiled and he was established as the prime suspect. Many others stepped forward saying they had witnessed a man with a tape recorder at various shopping centers in the area. However, a link was never made between the reports and the girls’ disappearance by the police.

The county police department was not willing to comment on the 35-year-old case, saying the family has had enough media exposure. The police could confirm that they continue to work with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Residents are still encouraged to come forward with any information.

Robert Lowery, the executive director of NCMEC’s missing children division, said the case received so much attention and continues to today because of the shock of it happening in a place where people felt secure. “It makes the community feel vulnerable,” Lowery said. “The girls went to have lunch and their mother had every reason to believe her children were safe.”

And they never returned. Lowery said what is most frustrating about this case is that NCMEC, the police, and residents just don’t know what happened. Despite it being one of the largest police searches in the area, and that occasional leads come in to this day, there are still no answers.

Lowery remains optimistic. “We never forget a case. We never close a case until we know what happened,” he said.

The NCMEC case managers are still in contact with the Lyon family. “We just want to let them know someone still cares,” Lowery said. “We’re convinced someone out there knows something.”

Anyone with information is asked to call 1-800-THE-LOST or the Montgomery County Police Department at 301-279-8000.

Source:

The Sentinel

LINK:

http://pgs.live.mediaspanonline.com/mont/lyongirls

Memories of Wheaton Plaza...

Here is an interesting website which discusses Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center and its history. There are a number of recent photos and many postings by people who remember the mall and the Lyon Sisters. There is even a link to Websleuths.

----------------------------

Westfield Wheaton (Wheaton Plaza); Wheaton, Maryland
    August 09, 2006 | Maryland | Posted by Caldor

Westfield is one of my least favorite of the major mall developers because of their tendency to make every mall look the same. However, a recent renovation at the Wheaton Plaza (or “Westfield Shoppingtown Wheaton,” whatever) in Wheaton, Maryland merits a quick ‘n dirty post.

As this is the first Westfield mall that we’ve written about, it merits a rant: Seriously, what gives with Westfield’s annoying naming scheme? Don’t they realize that labeling every one of their malls as “Westfield Shoppingtown _____” is a disastrous attempt at over-branding...

Source:

Westfield Wheaton (Wheaton Plaza); Wheaton, Maryland | Labelscar: The Retail History and Dead Malls Blog

LINK:

http://www.labelscar.com/maryland/we...-wheaton-plaza

TRM Man description

Quote Originally Posted by wfd View Post
    As far as I know my parents have no pictures of him at all. He had real short hair and was graying on the sides and top quite a bit. He did have a face that kind of revealed his Irish descent. I seem to remember his face was somewhat red in the few times I saw him in 74-75. I think that must have come from his excessive drinking. I also can not remember the car he was driving. But from my memory. I want to say he used to drive an early 70's Chevrolet. He always wore darker color (blue,gray,brown) suits. I always remember whenever I saw him he used to have his dress shirt and tie a bit loose so that it showed a white t-shirt underneath. But that was when he was sitting down and talking.
    I did also find out that Casey grew up in DC and in the 1940's attended Gonzaga and also Coolidge High Schools. I also found out that he graduated from Duquense University in Pittsburgh Pa. I do also know his oldest son is an eye doctor in Raleigh NC. Though I do not think there was ever much communication between Casey and his kids after the 1970's. Before his divorce, he and his family had lived in Potomac in the the early 70's on a street I believe is called Goya Drive.
    My dad did a follow up with the police in the 1970's. From what the police told my dad is that they thoroughly checked Casey out and could not hold him because they were unable to find any evidence to link him.
    Though the tape recorder was a quite popular gadget during that period. I still think it odd that he used to carry one around in his briefcase.
    I did call the Montgomery County Police in Feb and spoke to a detective. He said he would pass on the info to the detectives in charge. I also told him I was posting info here on websleuths. Maybe if Casey is still alive they will go and re-interview him and if he was in fact involved he will now tell them.
    If this helps to anyone who may remember seeing TRM. If it was Bob Casey. I seem to remember him having blue eyes and very short hair that was mainly turning gray. Of the two sketches released by the Montgomery County Police. The one of the right looks somewhat similar to Casey.

Lyon sisters disappearance remains a mystery

This article is pretty much a paraphrase of one of my earlier case summaries. It appeared in January of this year both on line and in print form.

Since this is a copy of a story I wrote about ten years ago, I have taken the liberty of inserting some clarifications and corrections in Parrens ( ). Richard

-------------------------------------------------
    WashingtonExaminer.com
    Lyon sisters disappearance remains a mystery
    Scott McCabe smccabe@washingtonexaminer.com
    Posted: 01/31/2010 9:00 PM

Thirty-five years ago, Sheila Lyon, 12, and her 10-year-old sister, Katherine, walked to a Wheaton shopping center to get some pizza. They haven't been seen since.

Their disappearance was the top story for months in the D.C. media, and led to one of the largest police investigations in the area's history.

The girls were the daughters of John Lyon, a well-known radio personality on WMAL.

On March 25, 1975, the sisters were on spring break from school and wanted to go to Wheaton Plaza and have lunch at the Orange Bowl Restaurant, about a half-mile from their Kensington home.

With $4 in their pockets, the girls left at 11 a.m. promised to be home by 4 p.m. (Actually they left home about 11:30 AM and intended to return by 3:00 PM.)

When they do not come home, the family contacted the Montgomery County police.

Witnesses said the sisters were seen speaking to a gray-haired man carrying a briefcase and tape recorder.

There were other children around and he was letting the children speak into the microphone. (This is somewhat misleading. There were many other children in the mall that day, but the witness saw ONLY Sheila and Katherine talking to the man with the tape recorder and microphone.)

Police released a sketch of the man and began receiving reports that he had been seen around other shopping centers approaching young girls and asking them to read an answering machine message typed on an index card into his hand-held microphone.

The governor summoned the Maryland National Guard to join in the search. On the advice of a Dutch psychic, more than 100 guardsman walked shoulder to shoulder through the thick brush of Rock Creek Park without any luck. The search expanded into a nationwide effort, and the National Enquirer offered a reward.

Police chased down hundreds of leads, including one from a witness in Manassas who reported seeing the girls bound in a station wagon. The witness followed the car until it ran a red light and sped off.

Several callers claimed to be holding the girls and demanded ransoms. One man demanded that John Lyon leave $10,000 inside a courthouse restroom, but the ransom was never claimed.

The girls have never been found and their case remains unsolved.

Anyone with information on the case should call the Montgomery County Police Cold Case Squad at 240-773-5070.

Source:

WashingtonExaminer.com : Lyon sisters disappearance remains a mystery

LINK:

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/dcex...l=true#display

35 years later, Lyons sisters still missing

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/lo...-90036537.html

By: Alana Goodman
    Examiner Staff Writer
    April 7, 2010

The disappearance of the Lyon sisters is a 35-year-old mystery that Montgomery County police still hope to solve.

Eyewitness comments...

A previous post above contains a link to the WUSATV9 website and article about the Lyon Sisters being missing for 35 years.

If you click on that link, and scroll all the way down to the reader comments section, you will see a post by a person called Raiders2010. The poster claims to have been one of the last eyewitnesses to have seen the girls on the afternoon of 25 March 1975.

I will not repost that person's comments to avoid any copyright problems, but will summarize briefly.

He describes himself as the neighborhood boy who spoke briefly with them on their way home from the mall. He says that he had been in the same grade as Sheila at Newport Middle School and knew both girls from having seen them the previous summer at Kenmont Swimming Pool.

You can read his comments at the following link:

http://www.wusa9.com/rss/local_artic...?storyid=98861

Lyon Case discussion forum...

Here is a link to a discussion forum about the Lyon Case. The starting reference for the discussion is the WUSATV9 article which is linked in this thread in an earlier post.

Cold Case: Lyon Sisters Disappearance - Topix

LINK:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/anna...J1SGETI858D5OK

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast