806 users online (114 members and 692 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,830

    GA - Boy, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, Hampton, 5 Jan 2007

    How horribly sad this is! WHY don't parents keep guns locked away from their kids? This child was little more than a baby and now he's dead.

    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10677697/detail.html

    Toddler Shot, Killed With Police Officer Father's Gun



    POSTED: 6:15 am EST January 5, 2007
    UPDATED: 4:31 pm EST January 5, 2007


    HAMPTON, Ga. -- Authorities say the three-year-old son of a police officer fatally shot himself in an accidental shooting early this morning.

    Clayton County police Captain Robert Tomlin says the accident happened shortly after midnight when Marcus Kitt found the gun in a closet in his parents' bedroom.

    Authorities are NOT sure whether the gun used was the father's service weapon.

    His mother woke up to the sound of the gunfire.

    His father, a Henry County police officer was in Texas on business.

    Relatives say the boy dreamed of being a police officer

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,119


    Poor little guy and his poor parents. I agree, though, why was this gun not locked up? This being a policeman's child, you'd think gun safety would be a huge deal in their home. How awful. Prayers for all of them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    32,580
    Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh


    Poor little guy and his poor parents. I agree, though, why was this gun not locked up? This being a policeman's child, you'd think gun safety would be a huge deal in their home. How awful. Prayers for all of them.
    I don't know about Ga, but if that happens here, the parent(s) can be charged. This will make it a double tragedy.

    JMHO
    fran

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,915
    This is so sad. DH and I argue all the time about guns, I dont want any in the house, he does. Its not good when we get on the topic. I grew up around guns but I am so afraid of these "accidents". This type of thing is my biggest fear regarding guns. I pray for this boys family. Its such a senseless tragedy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    deep in the heart of Texas
    Posts
    32,152
    I read a column a few months back, that was along these same lines. A woman wrote in about her cop husband who would leave his gun where the kids could get it. She wanted advice before something like this tragedy happened.
    These kinds of stories are so sad and preventable.My thoughts are with the little boy's family.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    9,183
    So very sad
    I feel so sorry for the mother....and the father....geez how awful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    752
    How very sad. My adoptive father was a police officer (he finally retired!). But growing up, I was always taught NOT to touch his guns. Also, they were kept in a LOCKED closet, to which he had the only key. I never even tried to get into the closet, and in fact, it's still locked to this day, even though no children live there any longer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,397
    Also...what was the kid doing up so late?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    Also...what was the kid doing up so late?
    My three year old would wake up at odd hours like that and we would wake up to the sounds of him giggling and playing with his cars, bedroom light on-at 2am. I am guessing this little guy is like my son.

    Prayers for this little guy's family.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmommy
    My three year old would wake up at odd hours like that and we would wake up to the sounds of him giggling and playing with his cars, bedroom light on-at 2am. I am guessing this little guy is like my son.

    Prayers for this little guy's family.
    On good thing for me is my son who is 5 does not get up in the middle of the night. If he does he is waking me or my hubby up. I am glad for that because I hear about kids getting up playing ect...I am always afraid they will get hurt and I am sleeping. I am a nervous nelly, lol..


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,711
    I have sypathy for the mother...

    But the father?? NOO
    He is no victim. He was ( I assume) a trained officer and left his gun unlocked???
    He should be charged IMO.
    An accident is something that happens through no fault of your own.
    NOT something that happens because your freakin stupid.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    I have sypathy for the mother...

    But the father?? NOO
    He is no victim. He was ( I assume) a trained officer and left his gun unlocked???
    He should be charged IMO.
    An accident is something that happens through no fault of your own.
    NOT something that happens because your freakin stupid.
    I agree. It is the parents responsibility to keep their guns locked up! That is why I told DH I dont want any in our house because I am afraid that he would leave it out. People are careless and usually they think that "nothing will happen" then we here about this. I am not taking a chance even though DH says he will buy a cabinet, locks, ect....I am not doing it. Maybe when our son is older but not now.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,711
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    I agree. It is the parents responsibility to keep their guns locked up! That is why I told DH I dont want any in our house because I am afraid that he would leave it out. People are careless and usually they think that "nothing will happen" then we here about this. I am not taking a chance even though DH says he will buy a cabinet, locks, ect....I am not doing it. Maybe when our son is older but not now.
    When our children were babies and toddlers Hubby was an armed gaurd.
    He was NEVER irresponsible with his gun.
    He walked in the door and immediatley made it his habit to lock up his gun.

    When I was a child maybe 7ish my dad would take me target shooting.
    I learned very young to have a healthy respect for such things.
    Fear nor bravado teach things IMO. Common sense and knowledge do.
    My sons (and daughter) all have BB guns which are kept under lock and key.
    When Hubby's job now requires a gun he locks it in his office or his truck.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    When our children were babies and toddlers Hubby was an armed gaurd.
    He was NEVER irresponsible with his gun.
    He walked in the door and immediatley made it his habit to lock up his gun.

    When I was a child maybe 7ish my dad would take me target shooting.
    I learned very young to have a healthy respect for such things.
    Fear nor bravado teach things IMO. Common sense and knowledge do.
    My sons (and daughter) all have BB guns which are kept under lock and key.
    When Hubby's job now requires a gun he locks it in his office or his truck.
    I grew up in a home where my father hunted, we had guns everywhere. Handguns, Rifles ect....I am however to scared to have any here because I hear stories like these and I am too scared to take a chance. My DH is a Military Brat so he had guns everywhere as well. He used to clean them for his dad. I just dont want any around until our son is older. We did have a handgun when we first got married though. We got rid of it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,107
    The firearm is supposed to be unloaded until ready to use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY CO - Sheine Steine, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, Frederick, 28 Oct 2013
    By tezi in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-03-2015, 11:29 AM
  2. TX - Boy, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, Harris County, 27 Feb 2015
    By los2188 in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 05:16 PM
  3. MI - Boy, 9, dies after finding loaded gun at Detroit home, Nov 2014
    By Donjeta in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-01-2015, 08:37 AM
  4. FL - Desjay Mosley, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, Homestead, 5 Dec 2009
    By daisy7 in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 02:01 AM
  5. TX - Gerald Miranda, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, San Antonio, 21 Dec 2007
    By TGIRecovered in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 10:17 AM

Tags for this Thread