GA - Boy, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, Hampton, 5 Jan 2007

White Rain

Reaction score
How horribly sad this is! WHY don't parents keep guns locked away from their kids? This child was little more than a baby and now he's dead.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10677697/detail.html

Toddler Shot, Killed With Police Officer Father's Gun

POSTED: 6:15 am EST January 5, 2007
UPDATED: 4:31 pm EST January 5, 2007

HAMPTON, Ga. -- Authorities say the three-year-old son of a police officer fatally shot himself in an accidental shooting early this morning.

Clayton County police Captain Robert Tomlin says the accident happened shortly after midnight when Marcus Kitt found the gun in a closet in his parents' bedroom.

Authorities are NOT sure whether the gun used was the father's service weapon.

His mother woke up to the sound of the gunfire.

His father, a Henry County police officer was in Texas on business.

Relatives say the boy dreamed of being a police officer

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Poor little guy and his poor parents. I agree, though, why was this gun not locked up? This being a policeman's child, you'd think gun safety would be a huge deal in their home. How awful. Prayers for all of them.

englishleigh said:
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Poor little guy and his poor parents. I agree, though, why was this gun not locked up? This being a policeman's child, you'd think gun safety would be a huge deal in their home. How awful. Prayers for all of them.

I don't know about Ga, but if that happens here, the parent(s) can be charged. This will make it a double tragedy.:(

JMHO
fran

This is so sad. DH and I argue all the time about guns, I dont want any in the house, he does. Its not good when we get on the topic. I grew up around guns but I am so afraid of these "accidents". This type of thing is my biggest fear regarding guns. I pray for this boys family. Its such a senseless tragedy.

I read a column a few months back, that was along these same lines. A woman wrote in about her cop husband who would leave his gun where the kids could get it. She wanted advice before something like this tragedy happened.
These kinds of stories are so sad and preventable.My thoughts are with the little boy's family.

So very sad :(
I feel so sorry for the mother....and the father....geez how awful.

How very sad. My adoptive father was a police officer (he finally retired!). But growing up, I was always taught NOT to touch his guns. Also, they were kept in a LOCKED closet, to which he had the only key. I never even tried to get into the closet, and in fact, it's still locked to this day, even though no children live there any longer.

Paladin said:
Also...what was the kid doing up so late?
My three year old would wake up at odd hours like that and we would wake up to the sounds of him giggling and playing with his cars, bedroom light on-at 2am. I am guessing this little guy is like my son.

Prayers for this little guy's family.

Gmommy said:
My three year old would wake up at odd hours like that and we would wake up to the sounds of him giggling and playing with his cars, bedroom light on-at 2am. I am guessing this little guy is like my son.

Prayers for this little guy's family.
On good thing for me is my son who is 5 does not get up in the middle of the night. If he does he is waking me or my hubby up. I am glad for that because I hear about kids getting up playing ect...I am always afraid they will get hurt and I am sleeping. I am a nervous nelly, lol..

I have sypathy for the mother...

But the father?? NOO
He is no victim. He was ( I assume) a trained officer and left his gun unlocked???
He should be charged IMO.
An accident is something that happens through no fault of your own.
NOT something that happens because your freakin stupid.

Amraann said:
I have sypathy for the mother...

But the father?? NOO
He is no victim. He was ( I assume) a trained officer and left his gun unlocked???
He should be charged IMO.
An accident is something that happens through no fault of your own.
NOT something that happens because your freakin stupid.
I agree. It is the parents responsibility to keep their guns locked up! That is why I told DH I dont want any in our house because I am afraid that he would leave it out. People are careless and usually they think that "nothing will happen" then we here about this. I am not taking a chance even though DH says he will buy a cabinet, locks, ect....I am not doing it. Maybe when our son is older but not now.

michelle said:
I agree. It is the parents responsibility to keep their guns locked up! That is why I told DH I dont want any in our house because I am afraid that he would leave it out. People are careless and usually they think that "nothing will happen" then we here about this. I am not taking a chance even though DH says he will buy a cabinet, locks, ect....I am not doing it. Maybe when our son is older but not now.
When our children were babies and toddlers Hubby was an armed gaurd.
He was NEVER irresponsible with his gun.
He walked in the door and immediatley made it his habit to lock up his gun.

When I was a child maybe 7ish my dad would take me target shooting.
I learned very young to have a healthy respect for such things.
Fear nor bravado teach things IMO. Common sense and knowledge do.
My sons (and daughter) all have BB guns which are kept under lock and key.
When Hubby's job now requires a gun he locks it in his office or his truck.

Amraann said:
When our children were babies and toddlers Hubby was an armed gaurd.
He was NEVER irresponsible with his gun.
He walked in the door and immediatley made it his habit to lock up his gun.

When I was a child maybe 7ish my dad would take me target shooting.
I learned very young to have a healthy respect for such things.
Fear nor bravado teach things IMO. Common sense and knowledge do.
My sons (and daughter) all have BB guns which are kept under lock and key.
When Hubby's job now requires a gun he locks it in his office or his truck.
I grew up in a home where my father hunted, we had guns everywhere. Handguns, Rifles ect....I am however to scared to have any here because I hear stories like these and I am too scared to take a chance. My DH is a Military Brat so he had guns everywhere as well. He used to clean them for his dad. I just dont want any around until our son is older. We did have a handgun when we first got married though. We got rid of it.

In America is it leagal to have stored firearms loaded?

Our laws are quite strict down here ever since the Martin Bryant tradegy.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial/bryant/.
Firearms cannot be stored with their bolts or bullets anywhere in easy reach.
Firearm cabinets must be made from special grade metal..the cabinet must also be bolted to the floor and an adjacent wall.
Cabinets must be fitted with a special combination lock to which only the gun liscense holder can be privvy to.
The police at anytime can check the residence of a gun licence holder to insure that the guns are being kept in the leagal manner..no warrant is needed for the police to enter your home......even though youve done nothing wrong.
My hubby and I often argue over his desire to keep his rifles(he hasnt fired a shot out them in over 20 years)...the guns are no good to us for self protection...it would take me hours to undo the locks and find the bolts and bullets....even if I did manage to arm myself I could then be charged with being in pocession of a gun without having a liscence.
Im better off keeping a big stick under the bed:)

dark_shadows said:
The firearm is supposed to be unloaded until ready to use.
Did you read my mind d_s...:D thanks for answering my question....we must have been posting at the same time

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back