1101 users online (243 members and 858 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Miami port alert

Been watching the news today, and am surprised no one has started a thread on the problem at the Port of Miami. Can't find a link yet, but a truck carrying cargo to the port has created a stir. The driver, a "middle-eastern" man was stopped. Hidden in the sleeper cab were 2 other men. They didn't have a manifest of the cargo they were carrying. The place is now swarming with cops. Fuel trucks to fuel the cruise ships that were scheduled to depart today have been turned away. No word yet on the cargo contents. Cruise ships may be delayed since they can't re-fuel.

What a mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper
    Been watching the news today, and am surprised no one has started a thread on the problem at the Port of Miami. Can't find a link yet, but a truck carrying cargo to the port has created a stir. The driver, a "middle-eastern" man was stopped. Hidden in the sleeper cab were 2 other men. They didn't have a manifest of the cargo they were carrying. The place is now swarming with cops. Fuel trucks to fuel the cruise ships that were scheduled to depart today have been turned away. No word yet on the cargo contents. Cruise ships may be delayed since they can't re-fuel.

What a mess!
    wow...I have been watching football. thanks and hi Pepper

Maybe heroin or the like? Let's hope it's "only" that... *chews nails*

ETA: I just found a news link about this.

Bomb squad is on the scene. News conference at 4:45 pm EST (as of now - it's been moved once already). All fuel trucks being turned away. No news yet on the fate of the cruise ships.

The suspect cargo truck is in a warehouse being examined.

Miami-Dade HasMat truck is arriving on scene.

Hiya Bean!

We are very concerned about our AIRport, but we don't pay that much attention to our extremely busy SEAports. The Port of Miami is a very busy port. All those containers stacked there. Items coming and going all the time. It must be a huge undertaking at any port of entry to try to keep track of all the paperwork. I know when I worked for a major car dealer there that exported many BMW's to South America, we had tons of paperwork to complete to get those vehicles through the gates to the ships. Then had to keep our copies for inspection for ages.

That is very scary. Keep us posted. This is a very important story.

Wrapped up

''Port operations have not been impacted,'' said Miami-Dade police spokesman Robert Williams. ``The cargo area and the cruise ship area were not impacted.''

MiamiHerald link

"Nothing to see here, move along"
    Last edited by replicant; 01-07-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: update

Still no news conference.

The 3 worked for a company in Dearborn Mi. and were carrying auto parts. Still being detained for questioning....lots of unanswered questions. Sounds like a dry run to me but I am suspicious given the circumstances.

Here is the most recent news article. The manifest and cargo matched, apparently the whole alarm was due to "miscommunication".

This really hit home for me - I was at the Port of Miami the week before Christmas. Scary.
    Step right up and see the Yakwoman! Only 25 cents a look!

Today, January 8:

The three men faced charges(resisting an officer without violence to his person and trespassing). They were released from Dade County Jail at 10:30 this morning and after appearing in bond court this morning, the charges were dropped. --->>
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16410755.htm

One great big false alarm! But I'm grateful that all the branches of LE were on top of it. It was a good drill.

Then what about this:

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.js...08/557517.html

Is this the same thing, or something different?

another false alam in Miami--that's two false alarms in two days

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast