Can't get onto a site I belong to

jilly

Reaction score
Does anyone know what would cause this?

I only have the problem with one site that I belong to. I have cleared my caches as someone suggested. Done a virus scan. Downloaded another server and still I can't log in. Can't even register. I get to the registration page and I can't type in anything.

I am not at all computer savvy so will try to explain that the little black line that comes up when you want to type isn't there anymore. Also, where there are boxes to check off - there's only half a box. (Told ya! :crazy:)

I would appreciate any help in very simple terms. ;) TIA

maybe their site is having problems. sorry i couldnt be much help but it sounds like it may be on their end.

dancingdaisy said:
maybe their site is having problems. sorry i couldnt be much help but it sounds like it may be on their end.

Thank you dd but I'm told that I am the only one having problems.

Are you going to the website through an address stored in your "Favorites?" If so, try going to the website by manually typing in the site's address.

nanandjim said:
Are you going to the website through an address stored in your "Favorites?" If so, try going to the website by manually typing in the site's address.

Thanks for replying Nan but I've done that. I even installed a 2nd server.Still nothing. It just seems to me that my settings were somehow changed on that site. What do you think about that?

When you cleared your cache, did you also mark the box to delete offline content? Also go to your your temp directory and delete everything in there. If you have Windows XP it's C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\temp. See if that helps.

lymom3 said:
When you cleared your cache, did you also mark the box to delete offline content? Also go to your your temp directory and delete everything in there. If you have Windows XP it's C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\temp. See if that helps.

Thank you lymom - I'll work on this now and let you know.

OK - I tried this lymom but no luck. This message pops up saying "Temporary Internet Files is a windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted." Obviously, I was in the wrong area.

Nevermind. I have just learned that if I go to that site. I just have to move the mouse around until I get the black icon/letter 'I'. Then if I click the mouse the black line appears where I can type. I'm sorry to be so illiterate.

I managed to log in and when I post now, I don't get a box to post in which I did before.

I appreciate your time but I am content to live with this until I can find someone in my life to fix this for me. Thank you.

Jilly, you don't delete the folder but what is IN the folder. Can you open the temp folder??

MrsMush99 said:
Jilly, you don't delete the folder but what is IN the folder. Can you open the temp folder??

I don't know how Mrs. Mush. Today I have gone to tools and deleted cookies & files.

I have another problem since I've been monkeying around. When I'm on a site and I click onto a link, the link comes up. Now when I exit the link, I lose the site (page) that I was on with it.

What have I done, do you know?

jilly said:
I don't know how Mrs. Mush. Today I have gone to tools and deleted cookies & files.

I have another problem since I've been monkeying around. When I'm on a site and I click onto a link, the link comes up. Now when I exit the link, I lose the site (page) that I was on with it.

Tricia has a thread at the top of this forum called "Clear your Cookies." Follow her instructions. I think that might help or at least I hope that it does. :)

jilly said:

Jilly, try to double click on the temp folder. Hopefully it will open up and then you can clear the temp files.

When you open a link, don't click on the X try clicking on the back arrow. That should work. That's happened to me before.

MrsMush99 said:
Jilly, try to double click on the temp folder. Hopefully it will open up and then you can clear the temp files.

When you open a link, don't click on the X try clicking on the back arrow. That should work. That's happened to me before.

Ok - just want to know if I'm getting the first part right. I go to Control panel and then clicking Folder options? If I double click that it opens same as if I right click it. Then what? There's general, view and file types. I don't see something called temporary folder in there.

I must be doing this all wrong. I'm starting to write things down when I do it.
I really appreciate your help mm - I just want you to know that I'm quite the dummy here and it may be too frustrating for you or anyone to help me.

Believe it or not - I've actually figured out my problems. Thanks to all for your advice which put me on the right path.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back