692 users online (97 members and 595 guests)  

Websleuths News

OH - Lawsuit: Teacher Taped Boys Hands To Face

http://www.wsbtv.com/education/10705761/detail.html

Lawsuit: Teacher Taped Boy's Hands To Face

Man Is No Longer Employed By School

POSTED: 1:03 pm EST January 9, 2007

A former Ohio teacher is accused of taping the mouth of a special education student shut.

Larry Dennison, who is no longer employed at Indian Creek Junior High School, is accused of using tape on Joseph Pethtel, now 19 years old, while Pethtel was Dennison's student in 2002.

Pethtel has filed a lawsuit against Dennison, the principal of Indian Creek Junior High, and the Indian Creek Board of Education.

In the suit, Pethtel alleged that Dennison abused him by taping his mouth shut while he was a special education student in an eighth-grade science class five years ago.

The suit said that when the boy tried to remove the tape from his mouth, Dennison taped the boy's hands to his head and face by "wrapping the tape over plaintiff's hands while against his face and around plaintiff's head."

EDITED BY DP DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
    Last edited by Jeana (DP); 01-10-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Why would someone who obviously cannot be kind to those who need kindness chose this kind of work? It takes a special person to work with special needs kids, and this teacher obviously didn't have what it takes.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Gah! What a jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    Why would someone who obviously cannot be kind to those who need kindness chose this kind of work? It takes a special person to work with special needs kids, and this teacher obviously didn't have what it takes.

The teachers who give special ed at my grandsons' school are not kind at all and haven't duct taped anyone so far but use much more devious methods. They have caused my family so much stress and worry and every year around TAKS test time, my grandsons act like they are having nervous breakdowns because these teacher are giving them such a hard time and getting so shook up. I think this duct taping was horrible and the boy may have felt so bound and trapped and afraid that it might get over his nose and mouth and suffocate. My gosh, serial killers use duct tape all the time in this way and now this is the second time I have read of a teacher using it. What's the world coming to.

First, chances are that a teacher, parent, or caregiver who resorts to such cruelty allows oneself to do it because ultimately, he or she believes it is okay to do so. It was a deliberate act that took thought. That teacher should not work with children under any circumstances. JMO, but a strong one.

LionRun

When I was in Jr high (now middle school, I guess) the special needs kids were put in with the rest of us "NORMAL" students and went to classes.

One of my teachers (don't remember what class) made one of them get up in front of the class, told him to write his name on the board, the kid couldn't and the teacher asked him if he was an idiot or something. had him up there for probably 10 minutes asking him to do math and so on. This poor kid couldn't do it and just stood there like a deer in the headlights - thank heavens I don't think he fully realized what the teacher was doing to him.

But, vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord.....

this teacher (a man) ended up having a baby with Down's Syndrome a few years later. I wonder how he feels now about special needs kids being picked on?

Sorry to sidetrack, this tape story is just cruel. Hope they throw the book at this teacher. This had to be traumatic for this kid.

Lisain, I'm glad that teacher had that result.

However, I wonder how the monster treats his own.

Quote Originally Posted by LisainWV
    When I was in Jr high (now middle school, I guess) the special needs kids were put in with the rest of us "NORMAL" students and went to classes.

One of my teachers (don't remember what class) made one of them get up in front of the class, told him to write his name on the board, the kid couldn't and the teacher asked him if he was an idiot or something. had him up there for probably 10 minutes asking him to do math and so on. This poor kid couldn't do it and just stood there like a deer in the headlights - thank heavens I don't think he fully realized what the teacher was doing to him.

But, vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord.....

this teacher (a man) ended up having a baby with Down's Syndrome a few years later. I wonder how he feels now about special needs kids being picked on?

Sorry to sidetrack, this tape story is just cruel. Hope they throw the book at this teacher. This had to be traumatic for this kid.
    Guess that old saying "what goes around, comes around is true" in your story.

These kids aren't exactly balls of sunshine either. I know a girl who is a special education teacher and was meeting the kids at the bus loop while they were getting dropped off. One of the kids gets off the bus (I think he was like 8 or 9) goes to her "nice tits".

Maybe I'm oldschool, but sometimes something like this deserves a swift smack upside the head. Some of these kids just can't be talked to.

Why did they waited so long to file a suit? Makes me wonder how much else we REALLY don't know about the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    These kids aren't exactly balls of sunshine either. I know a girl who is a special education teacher and was meeting the kids at the bus loop while they were getting dropped off. One of the kids gets off the bus (I think he was like 8 or 9) goes to her "nice tits".

Maybe I'm oldschool, but sometimes something like this deserves a swift smack upside the head. Some of these kids just can't be talked to.
    I hope you don't teach special needs kids.

A special needs child makes a comment and should be hit? I hope you're just venting. . . I didn't think there was still anyone alive that was "old school" enough to believe hitting can solve any issues with children.

So you would have no problem with someone smacking your child upside the head? I firmly believing in smacking a child on the rear if they need in but in my eyes that happens at HOME, surely not at school. And also not a special needs child who may not understand what they are doing.