1195 users online (233 members and 962 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question english speaking kids- no bus ride

kids cant ride bus because they speak english--uhhhhmmmm yes- this is right here in the US of A

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/01....ap/index.html

How about if you live in America you should try to learn English? The non-English speaking kids could probably pick some up by listening to the Armstrong children. I don't care how you slice this, the school administration is dead wrong on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    How about if you live in America you should try to learn English? The non-English speaking kids could probably pick some up by listening to the Armstrong children. I don't care how you slice this, the school administration is dead wrong on this one.

"It turns out the bus route was meant to serve one of the district's three language academies. Phalen Lake's academy is for Hmong kids learning English, and the academies all have separate bus routes to keep their students together."

This is what happened - i don't say it's right or wrong. it just is:

English-speaking family barred from bus

It turns out the bus route was meant to serve one of the district's three language academies. Phalen Lake's academy is for Hmong kids learning English, and the academies all have separate bus routes to keep their students together.

The district decided to begin enforcing the separate routes Monday - but didn't tell the Armstrong family.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...f548098688.txt

What is most definitely wrong is the authorities didn't notify the Armstrong family ahead of time and the children were left high and dry.

So if it's a school for learning English then why are English-speaking children barred from riding the bus? Wouldn't it be helpful to immerse yourself in the language you are trying to learn?

The town next to where my parents live will not allow you to work there unless you speak English.

Quote Originally Posted by Floh
    Phalen Lake's academy is for Hmong kids learning English, and the academies all have separate bus routes to keep their students together."
    I thought this kind of thing was illegal in American public schools, per Brown vs. Board of Education (separate but equal is inherently inequal), even if it is for a "good" reason?

get used to it people.. we are not allowed to stand up to anyone, or defend our "english" culture. that's racism and discrimination. but when anyone else does it to us, they don't call it anything. we're supposed to just sit back with our hands tied and let the country be overrun with anyone and everyone. america has become the "great whore" of the world!!!

There's a town close by me where as of tomorrrow, it will be illegal to rent to or hire anyone who is not a US citizen. Of course, they are trying to fight it, but the law takes effect tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    There's a town close by me where as of tomorrrow, it will be illegal to rent to or hire anyone who is not a US citizen. Of course, they are trying to fight it, but the law takes effect tomorrow.
    Excuse my Ignorance but are they allowed to be here if they are not a citizen? Or is it a "Visa" they have which allows them to be here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisahas2cats
    I thought this kind of thing was illegal in American public schools, per Brown vs. Board of Education (separate but equal is inherently inequal), even if it is for a "good" reason?
    I dunno. i'm an English woman abroad - although not abroad in the USA (now) so i haven't acquainted myself with the rules.

adding that perhaps the Phalen Lake's academy isn't a public school? but i may have missed that?

Quote Originally Posted by reb
    get used to it people.. we are not allowed to stand up to anyone, or defend our "english" culture. that's racism and discrimination. but when anyone else does it to us, they don't call it anything. we're supposed to just sit back with our hands tied and let the country be overrun with anyone and everyone. america has become the "great whore" of the world!!!
    i don't think America is regarded as such, but i may be biased. despite being a Briton, all of my family is American and i don't think badly of America.

do you honestly believe it's gotten to "we're supposed to just sit back with our hands tied and let the country be overrun with anyone and everyone"? certainly seems to be the case in Britain and to an extent in Germany. i would be amazed if it had become so in America.

but then i'm often wrong.

floh... oh yes, honey. things have changed here. and anyone who is white and speaks english is considered evil and full of hate if we stand up for ourselves.. we are not allowed to say anything negative, or honest (or even questioning..?) about any other race or culture. and some of the worst attackers are from our own ranks.. who are brainwashed and full of white guilt and cannot see the negative consequences of the "celebrate diversity" campaign that has been shoved down our throats for so many years. we are not allowed to discuss social problems if those problems are caused by someone who is non-white-- if so, that automatically means you are a neo-nazi terrorist-- no questions asked. yes we are supposed to be a melting pot, to an extent.. and america has always had conflicts over this. but when it gets to the point where it's like the tower of babel, and when the country becomes so unstablized by the rapid changes that our own identity, stability, and security is at stake.. and the PEOPLE themselves have very little say in the 'whoring out of the USA' by our incompetent government who is in bed with big corporations... then what are we supposed to do?
    and yes i know that everyone hated the italians, and the irish, the eastern europeans, the jeews, and the indians hated the white men, and vice versa.... it goes on and on. but america has been a relatively stable, consistent place for the past 100 years or so, with a pretty strong identity.... an identity with many flavors, but still.. a largely english speaking place. are we prepared to just sit back and let them all fall to pieces?? are we, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I see a couple of lawsuits coming.

Interesting. Keep us posted, please.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    Excuse my Ignorance but are they allowed to be here if they are not a citizen? Or is it a "Visa" they have which allows them to be here?

Its actually against the law to ask for proof in most places. Most Americans don't have any idea how easy it is for them to get benefits that you can only dream of.

Quote Originally Posted by JanetElaine
    I see a couple of lawsuits coming.

Interesting. Keep us posted, please.
    Edited to add that the Temporary Restraining Order WAS signed and the ordinance will NOT go into effect tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    Hi Michelle,

There are several groups of people living in the USA.

The group with the most rights is obviously the group of US citizens.

Next come the permanent residents, or 'green card holders', who have gained the permanent right to reside in the USA even though they are not citizens. Permanent resident can eventually apply for US citizenship if they meet certain conditions. Permanent residents are the true immigrants.

Next are visa holders of all kinds - work visas, investor visas, student visas, etc. Some of these can actually apply for permanent residence after a while, some are temporary visas. People in this group could in some cases also qualify for the term immigrant.

Then we have tourists - some come in with a tourist visa, some under the visa waiver program, some from Canada. These people are let in temporarily, as well.

Last are illegals - people with no respect for the laws of the USA who sneak in, or stay behind once their legal stay is over. These people have no rights, but claim them anyway. These are the people that are called by some 'undocumented immigrants' or 'illegal immigrants'. They do, however, not deserve nor fit the term immigrant. People from groups 2 and 3 usually are near puking when they hear those lawbreakers being labelled immigrants.

In fighting 'immigration', people and local governments of the USA oftentime seem to forget about groups 2 and 3 which they throw into the whole mess by making weird ass laws like the town of Farmers Branch, Texas.

Only certain delicate government positions or work for government contractors are prohibited for permanent residents, and then only due to the fact that a required background check cannot be succesfully performed on non-birth US citizens. I doubt this goes for any jobs in Farmers Branch. Besides the fact that it is, as Jeana stated, illegal to even ask someone if they are a US citizen or not.

Respectfully,
    JanetElaine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast