What a Short, Strange Trip: Be-In Is 40

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Their hair, once a symbol of youthful rebellion, is mostly gray. Bodies that writhed with wild abandon when a guru invited them to "Turn on ... tune in ... drop out" now sport stiff knees and age spots.

"How many of you are on acid right now?" rock critic Joel Selvin asked an audience of former hippies who turned out this past week to mark the 40th anniversary of the Human Be-in, the counterculture event that unofficially launched the Summer of Love. "How many of you are on antacid right now?"

In many ways, the '60s as we now know the era was born Jan. 14, 1967, when musicians, poets, visionaries, student radicals and wayward youth gathered in Golden Gate Park. It was the unofficial birth of the counterculture movement that defined San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district, a prelude to the social and political upheaval that followed.

Those who were in the park that day agree neither they nor San Francisco have been the same since.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HUMAN_BE_IN?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Beyond Belief said:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Their hair, once a symbol of youthful rebellion, is mostly gray. Bodies that writhed with wild abandon when a guru invited them to "Turn on ... tune in ... drop out" now sport stiff knees and age spots.

"How many of you are on acid right now?" rock critic Joel Selvin asked an audience of former hippies who turned out this past week to mark the 40th anniversary of the Human Be-in, the counterculture event that unofficially launched the Summer of Love. "How many of you are on antacid right now?"

In many ways, the '60s as we now know the era was born Jan. 14, 1967, when musicians, poets, visionaries, student radicals and wayward youth gathered in Golden Gate Park. It was the unofficial birth of the counterculture movement that defined San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district, a prelude to the social and political upheaval that followed.

Those who were in the park that day agree neither they nor San Francisco have been the same since.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HUMAN_BE_IN?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

It's freakin' freezing in the Midwest so I might join you Beyond Belief!

Even damn hippies grow up.

Funny we don't accept aging very well in America....I don't want the same things now, as I wanted in my youth. My taste's have changed and I'm less vain...I don't care I've graying hair and a few wrinkles...it's the aches and pains part I have a hard time dealing with. lol

I'd like to read some interviews of the people who were there for the Be in and what they are doing now and how they feel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back