NM NM - Ray Sutton, Clayton, 23 Aug 1930

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2272dmnm.html

Ray Sutton
Missing since August 23, 1930 from Clayton, New Mexico
Classification: Endangered Missing

Circumstances of Disappearance
Ray Sutton was last seen while conducting an investigation in Clayton, New Mexico on August 23, 1930. He worked for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives at the time of his disappearance.
His government vehicle was located in a canyon 20 miles from where the suspects were last seen. When one of the suspects was later arrested in Colorado, he was in possession of Agent Sutton's government identification. It is presumed that Agent Sutton was murdered near Raton, New Mexico, but his body was never located.

Came across references that in August 1930 a US Prohibition Agent in New Mexico named Ray Sutton disappeared. Also came across a footnote that 1954 issue of New Mexico magazine Volume 32 .p.18 & 39 speculates what may have been Sutton remains could have been found while searching for a missing woman In Albuquerque.
Comments?
Links:
Ray Sutton Missing since 1930!!!! New Mexico - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
ODMP:
http://www.odmp.org/officer/13021-special-agent-ray-sutton
repeated on Doe Network Case File 2272DMNM

I just read about Ray last night. I'm from Raton and am kind da surprised that I never heard about this before. I'm definitely going to read all your links. Maybe even try to look for him when I have an opportunity. (I live in Colorado now)

Ray Sutton
ray_a._sutton_sa_ray_sutton-1_0.jpg

Date of Birth:
Date of Death:
August 28, 1930
Location of Death:
Clayton, NM
badge_4_1930-1933sm_48.jpg

Circumstances of Death

On August 28, 1930, Prohibition Agent Ray Sutton disappeared in New Mexico and his body has never been recovered. Deputy Sheriff Fletcher of Raton, NM, was the last known person to see Agent Sutton alive. He drove past Agent Sutton, who was standing beside his Government vehicle seven miles south of Raton, near Dawson Fork. They waved a greeting to each other and it was assumed by Deputy Fletcher that Agent Sutton was waiting for someone, "probably an informant." When several days passed and Agent Sutton did not check in, his supervisors became concerned. A search of his room at the Hotel Seeburg found his personal effects, records and clothes intact. In fact, his daily diary listed his arrival in Raton on August 27, 1930. A massive, albeit unsuccessful, search was undertaken by Federal and local authorities.

On October 20, 1930, Agent Sutton's Government car was found in a deep, well hidden canyon 20-30 miles southeast of Raton. Bloodstains were found on the carpet in the back seat area. The investigation of Agent Sutton's disappearance and (assumed) murder intensified. Numerous suspects were interviewed and leads were pursued across the western portion of the United States. In December 1930, agents arrested Perry Caldwell in Pueblo, CO, for forging a Government pay check issued to Agent Sutton. Caldwell was also found in possession of Agent Sutton's Masonic identification card and a search of Caldwell's hotel room uncovered a Masonic ring agents believe belonged to Agent Sutton.

The investigation also showed that Caldwell had paid off considerable debts shortly after Agent Sutton's disappearance, despite not having any gainful employment or legitimate source of funds. Because agents lacked sufficient evidence to charge Caldwell with the murder of Agent Sutton, he was charged with forgery and uttering of a Government check. The United States Secret Service identified the handwriting on the back of the check as Caldwell's, and a hotel clerk identified Caldwell as the person that cashed that check. However, at trial the hotel clerk changed his original story and could (would) not identify Caldwell. Investigators believed that he was threatened by the bootleggers.

Despite overwhelming circumstantial evidence against him, Caldwell was not convicted by the jury. Despite a massive search and intensive investigation for over 10 years, Agent Sutton's body was never found. Agent Sutton was a well-recognized and courageous agent, respected by law enforcement and feared by bootleggers operating in the New Mexico/Colorado area. His disappearance and death is believed closely associated with the murder of Prohibition Agent Dale Kearney, who was killed one month earlier in Colorado. The same gang is believed responsible for both agents' deaths.

Background

Agent Sutton joined the Prohibition Unit on August 19, 1923, with an annual salary of $1,800. He carried badge #2400. Previously, he was the Sheriff in Clayton, NM.

Personal

Agent Sutton was born in Platteville, IA. He was survived by his wife, Margaret; their son, Ray George Sutton; and a married daughter, Nello May Means. Agent Sutton last resided in Clayton, NM.

LINK:

Ray Sutton | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

after so many years I think we will never know what happened to agent sutton but it is most likely that he was burned or buried somewhere... whatever, agent I hope he is resting in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back