Dakota Fanning movie blasted for her rape scene

I saw this on TV. Personally, if I was Dakota Fannings parent, I would've drawn the line here. She's 12 years old. I wouldn't want my daughter being subjected to a simulated rape scene for any amount of money. I understand that it's just a movie, but come on----she's 12!

her agent says, ".. this is something that's really challenged her talent". geez.... just what we need, even more violence-against-women (and in this case, an assault of a young girl)-- as-entertainment. don't we have enough of this around.....???

It is too much sometimes. The role could have been played without the violence depicted. Not that it should be denied but asking a 12 year old is too much. I often think that this kind of pictorial is fodder for perverts and that is the entertainment. We, on the other hand, understand words and have no need for graphic violence as it is well documented what happens.

concernedperson said:
It is too much sometimes. The role could have been played without the violence depicted. Not that it should be denied but asking a 12 year old is too much. I often think that this kind of pictorial is fodder for perverts and that is the entertainment. We, on the other hand, understand words and have no need for graphic violence as it is well documented what happens.
ITA, espcially with the bolded. Why on earth should pedophiles have ready access to legal whack-off material for the cost of a ticket and box of popcorn?

concernedperson said:

I agree! Pretty soon we will hear defense stories about pedophiles just making documentaries.......this is inappropriate and unneeded for the unperverted. I wouldn't put my 12 year old in a simulated situation like that, so I can't even think about what the parents were thinking...i guess it's just the money...

A few years ago I saw a film directed by Angelica Huston titled " *advertiser censored* out of Carolina" it was about a little girl that was sexually abused by her stepfather and had a rape scene in it. It made me physically ill to see this even knowing it was "an act." I am horrified that parents would allow their child to be used in such a way. Fanning's agent said "this is something that really challenged her talent." Is the woman insane? Challenged her talent? More like warped her psyche.

I personally wont be watching it if it makes its way down here.
Theres too much of this stuff happening in real life..without having it blazened across a movie screen.

furious.gif
I guess money talks in Hollywood.
It would be a very cold day in hell before I let my child do a rape scene some day.

MG

Sally said:
A few years ago I saw a film directed by Angelica Huston titled " *advertiser censored* out of Carolina" it was about a little girl that was sexually abused by her stepfather and had a rape scene in it. It made me physically ill to see this even knowing it was "an act." I am horrified that parents would allow their child to be used in such a way. Fanning's agent said "this is something that really challenged her talent." Is the woman insane? Challenged her talent? More like warped her psyche.

OMG, Sally! I saw this moving on Lifetime. It has 2 scenes in it that are very disturbing. I still have a very hard time thinking about this movie even though I too know it was an act. But just the thought that it does happen to kids everyday is enough to send me over the edge. And in this movie, the mom does nothing and even goes back to the . I can't even watch shows that the actor who portrayed the is in. When I see it on I quickly pass it by... It is a horrible movie. I can't even imagine watching this movie with Dakota Fanning in it. I too would never let my child do such a movie. :banghead:

It's very disheartening to know that the parents of Dakota Fanning would subject her to this, and it appears to just be "all for the money"----I'm quite sure her finincial picture is rosy enough to not have to worry. I know nothing about this girls parents, but the fact that they allow this to happen tells me enough to know plenty about them--and it aint pretty! I think they're sick in the head!

It's causing such an uproar that even more people (perps included) are going to see it now JUST because of it. Lisahas2cats said it perfectly about it being whack off material for disgusting perverts.

I don't blame or even hold the girls agent accountable---the more money the girl makes, the more the agent makes---she doesn't care about anything but the paycheck. But it's her PARENTS that are doing this girl a grave disservice.

I would no sooner allow my 12 year old daughter become a victim in simulated rape scene than I would allow my 12 year old son become the aggressor in a simulated rape scene!
Shame on them!

I saw this on Hannity and Combs yesterday and her parents allowed it to have her taken as a more serious actress and to be considered for an academy award. What the heck? :eek: I'm sure that academy award is way more important than subjecting their child to such filth. They had a guest on that went crazy over the free speech and they had a Christian right's guest who said charges are being looked into because you can't even depict a rape of a child without it being a crime. Personally I hope those charges are pressed. Let's protect our children no matter what the costs!

Anngelique said:
...her parents allowed it to have her taken as a more serious actress and to be considered for an academy award...
...which would mean bigger paychecks. $$$ So sad, isn't it? To me, when you don't hold strong and keep up your standards, there are no guarantees. Look at some of the other actresses that have done extreme things at a young age. How many are still stars?

I personally think that her parents are doing this young girl a big injustice. If the parents and this young girl is rewarded for her role in this movie, I will just shake my head in disgust.

Who would even want to watch such a thing? My daughter is 10 years old and I can tell you without question I would never want her to see such a thing and neither would I. For that matter I wouldn't want my 14 year old son to see it and after I asked him my DH was disgusted and said it will sure make some sickos happy. :mad:

Jubie

I think it is hysterical that a Fox News headline gets everyone so riled up. The article says the actual rape is not shown. I am going to reserve my judgement until I see the actual movie. If my memory serves me correctly, Dakota was involved with this decision and the producers, directors and her parents made sure she was comfortable and understand what the scene meant. Counselors were also on hand in case Dakota needed it.

As for *advertiser censored* out of Carolina, which is an excellent piece of literature, that was the point - you are supposed to be horrified and realize that this is wrong. And if it was horrifying to watch, well it should have been. It was supposed to drive home the point that rape is a crime and that children can be victims to. I don't think we should gloss over it and act like it doesn't exist.

As a rape survivor, I had a difficult time watching the Accused. However, that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been made. I understand there is a difference in that Dakota is a child, but I think you get my point.

Masterj said:
I think it is hysterical that a Fox News headline gets everyone so riled up. The article says the actual rape is not shown. I am going to reserve my judgement until I see the actual movie. If my memory serves me correctly, Dakota was involved with this decision and the producers, directors and her parents made sure she was comfortable and understand what the scene meant. Counselors were also on hand in case Dakota needed it.

As for *advertiser censored* out of Carolina, which is an excellent piece of literature, that was the point - you are supposed to be horrified and realize that this is wrong. And if it was horrifying to watch, well it should have been. It was supposed to drive home the point that rape is a crime and that children can be victims to. I don't think we should gloss over it and act like it doesn't exist.

As a rape survivor, I had a difficult time watching the Accused. However, that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been made. I understand there is a difference in that Dakota is a child, but I think you get my point.
I have "*advertiser censored* out of Carolina" the book, and I love it. Not too sound morbid but it is a very well written book. The movie is hard to watch, however rape is Horrible as I am sure you know Masterj, I am sorry that happened to you. I also seen you noticed that this new movie say's the rape scene is not seen so I agree with you that I will wait to see it myself to make a judgement.
I also agree that we should be aware of these things and not gloss over them. I find the accused very hard to watch myself. That movie has one of the most horrific rape scenes I have ever seen. :twocents:

How do you go from Charlottes Web to child rape scenes? What was her family thinking?

I watched the show and the person on had it reviewed, so the person reviewing SAW the film. This isn't just a Fox headline, this is real and in my opinion very important. It was also mentioned that she wore a full body suit so she wasn't actually naked but looked naked. Come on, that is enough said for me. If they had to make this 12 year old look naked for the shooting of this film then it is totally 100% wrong. The problem is here is another way for movies to start desensitizing us. They will add a little here and there until it is normal everyday stuff just like nudity and sex on TV and in the movies and the use of the F word for everything.

I completely agree with you Laura. The shooting of this scene/film is 100% wrong.

I also saw *advertiser censored* Out of Carolina and was very disturbed afterwards. The scenes were extremely graphic and horrifying.

http://momsquawk.wordpress.com/2006/07/26/on-dakota-fannings-rape-scene/

OK, with the understanding that I haven’t seen the movie in question (it’s still being filmed, though the controversial scene is in the can), I’d say, emphatically, no. Arguments that Fanning is mature for an adolescent, and that her mother and agent (who seem to be a leeeetle too excited about the Oscar possibilities) approved of the role, are thoroughly unpersuasive. She’s twelve. She should not be simulating a graphic rape scene that will be projected onto a 40-foot screen and then preserved forever on DVDs and shot around the world on You Tube, for her own emotional well-being now and for the rest of her life. Not even if it’s for a Higher Good. Not even if it’s Art. And (uh, Mom Fanning?) not even if she may win an Oscar. An adult actress could accept a role as a rape victim and be blindsided at how the experience affects her. When a child is involved, you err on the side of caution.

As for the dirty viewer angle, Jay Andrew Allen notes that pedophiles can get off on the most innocent of images, including the photos we post of our kids on parenting blogs. True enough. But there’s a difference between posting a picture of a half-naked kid and filming the simulated rape of a twelve-year-old: one may attract a pervert, but the other is likely to have legions of pedophile fans for years. No matter how untitilating, brutal and ugly the director attempts to make the rape scene, there will be a subset of the pervert population who will find it arousing. When Dakota Fanning is forty, there will still be child molesters getting off on those images. It’s not right to put a young girl in that situation. I don’t care if it’s for some higher purpose of enlightening the public about child abuse. It’s wrong.

I agree 100% with this!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back