1093 users online (189 members and 904 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light

WI - Girl locked in bedroom for two years

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5969966.story

OSHKOSH, Wis. -- A 13-year-old girl taken to a hospital because she was hearing voices told police she had been grounded to her locked room for nearly two years, allowed out only for meals, chores and timed bathroom breaks.

According to the criminal complaint, the girl had been locked in a small bedroom since February 2005 as punishment for bad behavior, spending 22 hours a day in the room whose door had an alarm system and dead-bolt lock on the outside.

A camera recorded the girl's activities, and the room's only furnishings were a urine-soaked mattress, blanket, pillow and empty dresser, the complaint said.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

SCUM!! What a poor excuse for parents. I guess that the girl wasn't allowed to go to school. I guess that pathetic stepmother really felt powerful controlling a defenseless child like this. I blame the biological father for allowing this to happen to his own daughter.

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    It's just sick. And for one adult to be crazy enough to allow this is one thing, but BOTH of them were okay with this????? What is wrong with people??????

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    SCUM!! What a poor excuse for parents. I guess that the girl wasn't allowed to go to school. I guess that pathetic stepmother really felt powerful controlling a defenseless child like this. I blame the biological father for allowing this to happen to his own daughter.
    I agree! I am disgusted about reading this. How could no one notice this girl locked in her room??
    Family? Neighbors? How emotionally delayed will she now be?
    My husband has a cousin who adopted a child and I was disgusted to learn that the family that he was taken from adopted him and his syblings but locked him in the pool house. Upon DCF removing him they said that the other children were safe and left them in their custody.
    I think if you abuse one child then all of them should be removed but, apparently the state of Florida does not agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    ...I think if you abuse one child then all of them should be removed but, apparently the state of Florida does not agree with me.
    I totally agree. These other children had to have been emotionally damaged knowing that their sibling was abused like this. Experts say that oftentimes one child is singled out for the abuse. I think that anyone who does anything to harm a child should be severely punished. It just makes me sick.

Exactly Nan...

Sadly these people were not even prosecuted. I guess Florida is too busy arresting disabled kids.

This makes me very angry. How could one parent, let alone TWO, treat someone this way? I would neverinamillionyears sit by and watch a kid treated this way. I would certainly fight to the death if someone tried to treat mine like that. I will never understand what goes through the minds of these kind of people. Poor, poor girl.

Parents keep daughter locked in room for nearly two years

From the what-the...?! file: The couple only allowed the 13-year-old girl to leave for bathroom breaks, meals and to do chores, according to a criminal complaint. The girl was locked in a small bedroom for 22 hours a day for nearly two years. The room was secured with a dead bolt accessible only from the outside and an alarm system that went off if the door was opened. Also, a camera monitored her activities. (Oshkosh Northwestern)

"The bedroom was secured with a dead bolt accessible only from the outside and an alarm system that went off if the door was opened."

Then:

"The girl said she would steal food because she was hungry and that "she would sneak downstairs to the kitchen and find scraps of food and leftovers," the complaint states."

If she was padlocked in, how could she sneak out to get food?

One body/several personalities

Quote Originally Posted by RUNDAWAY

This, my dear, is why more information is needed. In case everyone has forgotten, sometimes kids don't exactly tell the whole truth... sometimes, they don't even tell a part of the truth. It may well be they'll discover she was actually attending school...
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

isn't this exactly like another case that was uncovered only a month or so ago? actually it seems to happen a lot.. the filthy bare mattress.. the security camera.. the padlocked door.. what is up with that??

but it's strange that they took her to the hospital for hearing voices.. all of a sudden, they're worried about her? and, they didn't think they'd get found out?

Quote Originally Posted by RUNDAWAY
    Parents keep daughter locked in room for nearly two years

From the what-the...?! file: The couple only allowed the 13-year-old girl to leave for bathroom breaks, meals and to do chores, according to a criminal complaint. The girl was locked in a small bedroom for 22 hours a day for nearly two years. The room was secured with a dead bolt accessible only from the outside and an alarm system that went off if the door was opened. Also, a camera monitored her activities. (Oshkosh Northwestern)

"The bedroom was secured with a dead bolt accessible only from the outside and an alarm system that went off if the door was opened."

Then:

"The girl said she would steal food because she was hungry and that "she would sneak downstairs to the kitchen and find scraps of food and leftovers," the complaint states."

yes and if she was allowed out for bathrom breaks then why was the mattress urine soaked?
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Glow
    yes and if she was allowed out for bathrom breaks then why was the mattress urine soaked?
    I wondered that too. But maybe she wasn't allowed out often enough. Who knows. We definitely need more information on this one.

Justice for Travis

One article I read said she was allowed 1 minute for bathroom breaks, and allowed outside for 1/2 hour in the summer for chores like picking up dog poop and taking out garbage.

I'm inclined to believe the story - based on the reporting. I would guess police got a warrant for the house and found a padlock, mattress, room as described, etc. If you're by yourself for 22 or more hours day after day - no doubt you'll start to hear voices. Her conditions are as bad as solitary confinement, except it went on for years.

Check out the first comment left after the Oshkosh Northwestern Newspaper article:

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/...701170463/1987

To everyone who has responded to this message board, let me set some facts straight as someone who knows the girl's extended family. First, the girl who was locked up was not a behavioral problem in the past. She was a sweet, bright, well-mannered young lady who earned good grades in school and had many friends. About two years ago, her father and step-mother began to cut her off from contact with any of her family members. Her biological mother is not in the picture, and they did not allow her to have contact with grandparents, aunts or uncles, friends, etc. The girl had been enrolled in private school. The parents pulled her out of private school and told the private school she was going to public school. They never enrolled her in public school. Her extended family tried on many occasions to have contact with her. The father and step-mother refused. About a month ago, one of her family members came to the house and demanded to see the girl. The other children let this family member in. The family member asked the kids where the girl's room was, and tried to get in the door. Upon opening the door, a loud alarm sounded, and by this time, the step-mother forced the family member out of the house (without the girl ever being seen), resulting in a restraining order. To make a long story short, social services were called, and steps with initiated that in essence probably saved her life. The girl was not receiving any outside care before the above-mentioned situation. This beautiful young child did NOTHING to provoke being treated any differently than the biological children of the step-mother. The girl's extended family is not to be blamed either, as they did everything they could within the law to see the girl, and were continually refused. The family member who forced their way into the house virtually saved her life. This is one of the clearest cases of child abuse and neglect I have ever seen.

So, the girl who was locked away was the only child in the house that the "stepmother" and father mistreated.... and the rest of the children in the house were the "stepmothers" own children.

i guess you could call it the 'cinderella syndrome'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast