WV - Brooklyn Holcomb, 5, beaten to death, Princeton, 17 Jan 2007

Shadow205

Reaction score
PRINCETON -- Princeton Police say a five year old Mercer County girl, a victim of child abuse, has died.

Brooklyn Holcomb died Wednesday at Charleston Area Medical Center. Now, her father, a federal prison guard, will be charged with murder.
<snip>

Brooklyn Holcomb was first taken to Princeton Community Hospital after the beating Monday afternoon.

From there, she was rushed to Charleston Area Medical Center for further treatment.

There were a total of FOUR children in the household.

Child Protective Services has custody of the other three. The other children were not injured.
http://www.wvnstv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=18821

I am looking for more information but so far this is the only thing that I can find. So sad, another innocent child killed by a parent who was supposed to protect her.

NBC 6 has confirmed that the 5 year old girl involved in the alleged child abuse case has died.

Charles Poe with the Princeton Police Department confirmed that she died around 6 this evening.
<snip>
Poe says this is one of the worst cases of child abuse he has seen in his 21 years on the force.

Sgt. Detective Charles Poe - Investigating Officer
"Well vain anytime you deal with children, especially children that are hurt, are always tough cases to work and injuries that this lady has sustained are about as bad as I have seen."

Neighbors say Holcomb was an area youth minister who always worked well with children and the news came as a shock to them.

more at the link http://www.wvva.com/News/index.php?ID=10281

So this wonderful dad (not!) was a Federal Corrections Officer PLUS a youth minister. Means he was fully aware of the laws of man and the Laws of God but chose to disobey them, with utter disregard! Just what in the world is this world coming to?!?

When and HOW is this going to stop?????

:furious: :furious: :furious:

A vigil to help the community deal with the shock of the tragedy has been set.

Vigil organizers say this will be a chance for the community to come together, heal and share their grief.

The vigil will be held in Princeton at the Princeton Town Square on Mercer Street at 6 P.M.

NBC Six will be live at the vigil.
brooklynholcomb.jpg

http://www.wvva.com/News/index.php?ID=10327

PRINCETON — A child’s death resulted in new court action Thursday when a father was arraigned on a charge of first-degree murder in the death of his 5-year-old daughter.

Robert Holcomb, 34, was arraigned before Mercer County Magistrate Jerry Flanagan on a charge of first-degree murder. His daughter, Brooklyn Holcomb, died Wednesday evening at Charleston Area Medical Center from injuries inflicted by a severe alleged beating. A conviction on first-degree murder carries a life sentence, Flanagan told Holcomb.
<snip>
When asked about the circumstances surrounding the incident, Poe said that to his knowledge Holcomb was alone with his children at their College Avenue, Princeton home when the incident allegedly took place. The girl’s biological mother lives in Kansas, and her stepmother was at work, he said.

Poe said Holcomb did have custody of Brooklyn.

Discussing the specifics of the child’s injuries, Poe said he, too, had heard the reports circulating that a hammer had been used as a weapon during the assault, but he had no indication this was true.
<snip>
Three other children live at the home; of the family’s four children two are Holcomb’s, and two belong to Brooklyn’s stepmother.

more at the link http://www.bdtonline.com/cnhi/bdtonline/homepage/local_story_018220631.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

This is infuriating!!! Why do people do this to defenseless babies? Why not give them away if they don't want them, or better yet, don't have them.

rest in peace sweet baby girl. no more pain or beatings where you are.

what a f">*ing animal. Literally ripped his own offspring apart like a delusional animal in the wild. I hope they put him in general population.
I would like to see them put him in general population forcing him to wear a t-shirt with that precious little face on it and the words " I beat her to death" under it. He wouldn't last 30 seconds.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

kcksum said:

what a f">*ing animal. Literally ripped his own offspring apart like a delusional animal in the wild. I hope they put him in general population.
I would like to see them put him in general population forcing him to wear a t-shirt with that precious little face on it and the words " I beat her to death" under it. He wouldn't last 30 seconds.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I totally agree. Its about time these guys are subjected to a healthy does of their own medicine.. preferable with the largest guys in the general population. That poor child. I am so sorry little one. You will only know peace and love from now on.

kcksum said:

He may not anyway. Having been a correctional officer in that state and the high rate of repeat offenders - he's probably pissed off a bunch of inmates in the past. Also, the other officers will be on his case. He will be friendless in a very dangerous place even before they inmates are aware of his charges. I'm sure the officers will let them in on it...

Absolutely heartbreaking.....again. We cannot understand this Lord, our brains cannot wrap around and understand someone who beats a child to death. Truly the devil's work. Please help us God, we need you more than ever..

2beautifulboys said:
Absolutely heartbreaking.....again. We cannot understand this Lord, our brains cannot wrap around and understand someone who beats a child to death. Truly the devil's work. Please help us God, we need you more than ever..
I hear the voice of Riccy Ricardo in my head "Lucy! You've got some 'splainin' to do!" I hope God's got a sense of humor, because that's what I'm going to hollar out soon as I think I could hear his answer to that question.

Young girl’s spirit alive in hearts of hundreds at vigil

By BARBARA HAWKINS
of the Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON — “Brooklyn ... You have your wings ... Fly baby fly!” Brooklyn Elizabeth Holcomb’s mother sent that message to her 5-year-old daughter who died Wednesday as result of a beating.

Her voice breaking with grief, yet showing amazing strength, Sue Ann Griffin stood on the stage at the Princeton Town Square and addressed approximately 300 people who braved frigid weather to honor the murdered child’s memory in a community candlelight vigil.

“It’s painful for me to have to let Brooklyn go,” said the slender blonde Michigan woman, “but heaven knows no pain or fear ... “She’s dancing and singing with God.”
As Griffin spoke, observers openly shed tears. Some even sobbed as they shared the pain of the grieving young mother. Others silently wiped tears or sniffed. Those who came to express sympathy, share in the grief and begin a healing were young and old — some babes in parents’ arms, toddlers and children about the age of Brooklyn, teenagers, parents, grandparents — all bundled warmly against the cold air and brisk wind.

They all gripped flaming candles encased in paper cups — a symbol that Brooklyn lives in the hearts of the community, as well as her family.

More at the link:

http://www.bdtonline.com/homepage/local_story_019215701.html

PRINCETON — A Mercer County magistrate ruled Wednesday there was “probable cause” in the case of a local man facing a first-degree murder charge in the death of his 5-year-old daughter.
<snip>
Prosecuting Attorney Timm Boggess, momentarily fighting back emotion in his opening statement, opened the case by calling an emergency room physician who treated Brooklyn when she arrived at PCH the evening of Jan. 15.
<snip>

Almehmi said when a neurological examination was performed the girl’s pupils were unresponsive to light.

“This tells me there was some damage to the child’s central nervous system,” Almehmi said. He also testified the child had multiple bruises on her legs, one on her chin, her extremities, and other parts of her body.

There were also serious injuries to the girl’s buttocks, Almehmi said.

Almehmi said he determined the girl needed treatment that was not available at PCH. After consulting with hospitals in Roanoke, Va., and Charleston, and considering a weather report that said flying was not feasible, she was taken by ambulance to CAMC.

During cross examination, defense attorney Joe Harvey asked Almehmi if he knew that Brooklyn had a medical condition “where she easily bruises.” Almehmi said he did not see records from the Holcomb family physician when he treated the child.

Poe said he saw the child’s injuries when he arrived at the hospital. There were bruises on her chin, next to an eye, and behind an ear. She had “what appeared to be a handprint on the abdomen” and “what appeared to be an injury from a blunt object on her chin.”

Holcomb gave a statement to police after being arrested and advised of his rights, Poe said. The statement was recorded on audio tape, he said.

“I asked him to show how she was injured,” Poe said. “He said she threw herself down on the floor and had a tendency to fall down stairs.”

more at the link http://www.bdtonline.com/homepage/local_story_024213756.html

I saw the Prosecuting Attorney last night on the news. When he began his opening statement, he had to stop to regain his comprosure, he was fighting back tears.

PRINCETON — Local prosecutors plan to bring a case involving the death of a 5-year-old girl before the June session of the Mercer County Grand Jury.
<snip>
Holcomb is currently being held without bond at the Southern Regional Jail near Beckley.

The Mercer County Grand Jury is scheduled for June 11, 12 and 13.
http://www.bdtonline.com/local/local_story_150211107.html

They should beat him within an inch of his life so he knows and can feel for the rest of his life what he did to this poor little girl. I'm glad she can feel safe and loved now that she is in a better place. The last part being my personal beliefs.

Published: April 23, 2009 09:57 pm

CHARLESTON — “Brooklyn Holcomb died at the hands of the one whose hands should be protecting her.”

That was the thought Prosecuting Attorney Timm Boggess left with the jury as the Kanawha County panel began deliberating at the conclusion of Ronald Holcomb's murder trial. Within two hours, the jury agreed with Boggess, convicting the 36-year-old Princeton man of beating his 5-year-old daughter to death on Jan. 15, 2007.

Although he was originally charged with first-degree murder and child abuse resulting in death, the jury found him guilty of the lesser charge of second-degree murder and child abuse.

More at the link http://www.bdtonline.com/cnhi/bdtonline/homepage/local_story_113215822.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

Published: April 23, 2009 09:57 pm

CHARLESTON — “Brooklyn Holcomb died at the hands of the one whose hands should be protecting her.”

That was the thought Prosecuting Attorney Timm Boggess left with the jury as the Kanawha County panel began deliberating at the conclusion of Ronald Holcomb's murder trial. Within two hours, the jury agreed with Boggess, convicting the 36-year-old Princeton man of beating his 5-year-old daughter to death on Jan. 15, 2007.

Although he was originally charged with first-degree murder and child abuse resulting in death, the jury found him guilty of the lesser charge of second-degree murder and child abuse.

More at the link http://www.bdtonline.com/cnhi/bdtonline/homepage/local_story_113215822.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

I wonder how/why the jury found him guilty of the lesser charge? Must be some technical legal reason.

From news link above.
Though Boggess had previously urged the jury to find Holcomb guilty of first-degree murder, meaning he intentionally took Brooklyn's life, but without premeditation or deliberation, he said he wasn't disappointed with the verdict.

I am thinking that they jury convicted him of a lesser charge because they thought it wasn't premediated murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back