1309 users online (261 members and 1048 guests)  

Websleuths News

Who's your Daddy

(No it's not a Maury P. show)

In a mysterious bit of monkey business, a female at a chimpanzee sanctuary has given birth, despite the fact that the facility's entire male chimp population has had vasectomies.
    http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5953784&nav=1TjD
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Talking

Maybe they should check other residents not necessarily of the chimpanzee genre. J/K but stranger things have happened.

don't vasectomies sometimes reverse themselves ? or, maybe it wasn't done properly?

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    Maybe they should check other residents not necessarily of the chimpanzee genre. J/K but stranger things have happened.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    LOL

I'm glad they are doing DNA samples rather than sperm counts.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb
    LOL

I'm glad they are doing DNA samples rather than sperm counts.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW....... I would share have hated THAT job !!

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    LOL Me, too!

Chimpanzees are an endangered species. With that, I have to wonder why they performed vasectomies on the male chimps. I know this is a sanctuary and not necessarily a breeding area, and there could be other factors involved that aren't cited in the story.....but...it's really sad when you step back and take a look at the actual numbers and the rate of chimpanzee population decline---it's shocking and quite telling of how humans are completely and successfully erradicating their homes and lives by clearcutting and the hunting of them for meat. I have read that at the current rate it has been going, it is possible that the very last chimpanzee ever born could be born 40 years from now. They could completely dissapear in many of our lifetimes, or your Grandkids lifetimes.

Chimpanzees are the animals most closely related to the human species. They have families and complex social structure----I just really think they're cool, and the fact that this mommy chimp ended up pregnant against all odds, is even cooler.

OK, I'm done ranting. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I had a friend who turned up pregnant a few years after hubby had a vasectomy (no they are not chimps). You can imagine how surprised they were. Well, in their divorce, as you can imagine, he says the last child is not his. guess what? It was without a doubt.

I think if there was a large population of male chimps she was "hanging out" with, it's likely that one had a "faulty snip!"

Neat story!!

and, it's kinda like Maury - everyone's waiting to see who the father is out of a long list of candidates. Except, I'm sure the chimps are better actors!!

Remember Jurassic Park's all-female dinosaur population? And the Chaos Theory guy's response to that? "Nature will find a way." Luckily this is just a baby chimp and not a man-eating dinosaur hell bent on destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by LisainWV
    I had a friend who turned up pregnant a few years after hubby had a vasectomy (no they are not chimps). You can imagine how surprised they were. Well, in their divorce, as you can imagine, he says the last child is not his. guess what? It was without a doubt.

I think if there was a large population of male chimps she was "hanging out" with, it's likely that one had a "faulty snip!"

Neat story!!

and, it's kinda like Maury - everyone's waiting to see who the father is out of a long list of candidates. Except, I'm sure the chimps are better actors!!
    My hubby got the snip when I was pregnant with #3, which was 8 years ago. He says semi-jokingly sometimes that if I ever came up pregnant I'd be raising kids alone. I'm just so thrilled to think that his first thought would be infidelity rather than just a fluke of nature.

I wonder if they had vasectomies b/c of their age. If the female has already had ten babies, and she hasn't had one in 13 years, she must be pretty old. Maybe all of the chimps are "retirees."

I would assume that the risk of genetic problems and complications goes up with age just as it does with humans.

Also, maybe this retirement community doesn't have the proper resources for an infant.

I hope they are all healthy and happy!

Many chimps in sanctuaries are circus chimps, research chimps - chimps who smoked cigarettes and who were given experimental medicines. Perhaps its best to not breed them intentionally.

My mother-in-law works in the Doctors office where I took my kids while we were in Texas. One of the Doctors there had a vasectomy 10 years ago and his wife just had a baby!! According to familydoctor.org 15 out of every 10,000 couples get pregnant in the first year after a vasectomy!!