692 users online (63 members and 629 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    134

    CO - 3-Year-Old Found In Snowbank After Wandering From Home, 20 below zero

    They are not charging the parents in this case, which I think is an outrage!

    A 3-year-old girl was hospitalized after wandering away from her home without pants and shoes and spending about 45 minutes in below-zero-degree temperatures, authorities said.


    A passing motorist found Molly Look semiconscious in a snowbank on the side of a county road around 9 a.m. Wednesday, Routt County sheriff's Sgt. Miles DeYoung said. Molly, was wearing only a long-sleeve shirt, suffered frostbite on her hands and feet.


    Her pants and snow boots apparently came off earlier when she became entangled in a fence.

    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...39/detail.html

  2. #2
    Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,293
    Hmm, I wonder why the mother wasn't charged with at least neglect?

    Surely if a mother is so sick that she must rest (or stay near the toilet) she should 1st make sure that all doors/windows are secure and that there is a safe & secure area in the home for the child to play?

    I can only assume that this mother was so ill she was unable to move. But the explanation of "resting" does't sound like immobility.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    Hmm, I wonder why the mother wasn't charged with at least neglect?

    Surely if a mother is so sick that she must rest (or stay near the toilet) she should 1st make sure that all doors/windows are secure and that there is a safe & secure area in the home for the child to play?

    I can only assume that this mother was so ill she was unable to move. But the explanation of "resting" does't sound like immobility.
    How terrifying for this little girl and thank goodness she was found! My 3-year-olds were both escape artists.

    It sounds like both parents have been investigated and cleared of any wrongdoing - that's why the mother wasn't charged with neglect. Obviously the investigators felt like she had taken reasonable precautions that her child was safe.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    How terrifying for this little girl and thank goodness she was found! My 3-year-olds were both escape artists.

    It sounds like both parents have been investigated and cleared of any wrongdoing - that's why the mother wasn't charged with neglect. Obviously the investigators felt like she had taken reasonable precautions that her child was safe.
    I lived in the mountains with my babes, so took EXTRA care... and one being a regular hudini, I can see it can happen even when you take a great deal of care. Lucky I had a dog that would herd him back if he even got 30 feet from the house. I'm sure authorities assessed the situation best they could. My 3 year old was no-where to be found one day, frantically searching we found him asleep in the garden by a big pumpkin, right in our own back yard. Far from harm. Glad I didn't get arrested for taking my eye off my three year old for 5 seconds. Also glad thats where he was.

    teeray

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,437
    What I don't understand is this. The child had snowpant and boots on...dressed to be outside. If the mother wanted to "rest" why put the girls outside to play when she had no intentions of watching her? I can see if the little one somehow slipped out her own...had 3 year olds my self at one time, LOL. Unless she dressed herself? But I don't see that either for a 3 year old, at least mine couldn't put all that on without me helping.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae
    What I don't understand is this. The child had snowpant and boots on...dressed to be outside. If the mother wanted to "rest" why put the girls outside to play when she had no intentions of watching her? I can see if the little one somehow slipped out her own...had 3 year olds my self at one time, LOL. Unless she dressed herself? But I don't see that either for a 3 year old, at least mine couldn't put all that on without me helping.


    The article just says "pants" not actually snowpants, so maybe the little girl just slipped on her boots and went out in her normal pants while mom was resting. Slipping winter boots on without actual "snow" pants would not be to hard for a 3 year old to do. The article also says that she had just a shirt on, no jacket, so I betcha that is what she did, just slipped on her boots and went outside.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,437
    Quote Originally Posted by lostfaith
    The article just says "pants" not actually snowpants, so maybe the little girl just slipped on her boots and went out in her normal pants while mom was resting. Slipping winter boots on without actual "snow" pants would not be to hard for a 3 year old to do. The article also says that she had just a shirt on, no jacket, so I betcha that is what she did, just slipped on her boots and went outside.
    My bad, went and read it again. Don't know where I got snowpants from!
    I can see a 3 y/o slipping boots on. But for her to get 1/2 mile from home means she was out in the weather for quite some time. That child had an angel looking out for her to be found in time!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    92,363
    teeray--Welcome to Websleuths.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tybee Island,GA
    Posts
    7,556
    When my boys were 2 and 3 years old we lived in a condo complex with a pool. We put locks on their windows so they couldnt be opened because we were afraid of the pool. Early one morning while I was asleep the boys used a wooden screw driver from there little boy tool boxes to remove the locks and escaped out the window. I woke up about 7 am and went in to get them up for the day and they were gone. I found them lounging in pool chairs , pool side. We were very lucky as it could have turned into a tragedy had one or both fallen in.
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,598
    Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    When my boys were 2 and 3 years old we lived in a condo complex with a pool. We put locks on their windows so they couldnt be opened because we were afraid of the pool. Early one morning while I was asleep the boys used a wooden screw driver from there little boy tool boxes to remove the locks and escaped out the window. I woke up about 7 am and went in to get them up for the day and they were gone. I found them lounging in pool chairs , pool side. We were very lucky as it could have turned into a tragedy had one or both fallen in.

    I had some escape artists, too, and my husband and I spent a great deal of time and effort "securing" our home.......and my boys continued to find ways out! Short of never going to the potty and never sleeping, there just wasn't a way to contain those boys!

    We actually removed much of the security after reading an article about some children who could not escape from a burning home after their momma unexpectedly died while cooking dinner......after that, I actually wanted an escapable home!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    When my boys were 2 and 3 years old we lived in a condo complex with a pool. We put locks on their windows so they couldnt be opened because we were afraid of the pool. Early one morning while I was asleep the boys used a wooden screw driver from there little boy tool boxes to remove the locks and escaped out the window. I woke up about 7 am and went in to get them up for the day and they were gone. I found them lounging in pool chairs , pool side. We were very lucky as it could have turned into a tragedy had one or both fallen in.
    Wow! What a story...mine were escape artists but also totally mommy-fied (ie - they would crawl back inside my uterus if given the chance), so whenever they would "escape" (not often, but often enough to give me more grey hairs), they'd come right back in and get me and tell me about it.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tybee Island,GA
    Posts
    7,556
    Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    I had some escape artists, too, and my husband and I spent a great deal of time and effort "securing" our home.......and my boys continued to find ways out! Short of never going to the potty and never sleeping, there just wasn't a way to contain those boys!

    We actually removed much of the security after reading an article about some children who could not escape from a burning home after their momma unexpectedly died while cooking dinner......after that, I actually wanted an escapable home!

    That is why I was afraid to put burglar bars on the outside of their window. Back then they didnt have the little window alarms. I have those on all my doors and windows now. If one of the grandkids opens a door or window I know it. I live on the water so am constantly paranoid Emma will go outside without my knowledge.
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    When my boys were 2 and 3 years old we lived in a condo complex with a pool. We put locks on their windows so they couldnt be opened because we were afraid of the pool. Early one morning while I was asleep the boys used a wooden screw driver from there little boy tool boxes to remove the locks and escaped out the window. I woke up about 7 am and went in to get them up for the day and they were gone. I found them lounging in pool chairs , pool side. We were very lucky as it could have turned into a tragedy had one or both fallen in.
    Oh my gosh, Tybee~! That is so scary!

    We do an annual canoe trip every year. But we couldn't take our kids along until they were really good swimmers. Even then, whenever they even played NEAR the water on the beach where we camped, they have to have their life jackets on. Rivers are dangerous even for good swimmers.

    As far as this child getting out and her mother sleeping.. I don't know if it's criminal, but if this child had died, I am certain that there would be charges against the mother. I don't know how people can sleep when their children are awake. I could never do it- sick or otherwise.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tybee Island,GA
    Posts
    7,556
    Quote Originally Posted by mssheila
    Oh my gosh, Tybee~! That is so scary!

    We do an annual canoe trip every year. But we couldn't take our kids along until they were really good swimmers. Even then, whenever they even played NEAR the water on the beach where we camped, they have to have their life jackets on. Rivers are dangerous even for good swimmers.

    As far as this child getting out and her mother sleeping.. I don't know if it's criminal, but if this child had died, I am certain that there would be charges against the mother. I don't know how people can sleep when their children are awake. I could never do it- sick or otherwise.
    Well for starters we didnt have baby monitors back in the olden days. Yup didnt even have cordless phones. Had they opened their bedroom door I would have known they were up. I did not hear them open the window and go out.

    When my son was 5 we were living on the farm and I sent him out to feed the dog and looked out the window a few minutes later and he was sitting on the roof of a 2 story barn.
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

  15. #15
    IrishMist's Avatar
    IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southeastern Tennessee
    Posts
    7,469
    Looks like Dad was home at the time..

    When Molly's parents, Del and Yvette Look, realized she was gone, they began a frantic hunt, with her father searching with a snowmobile and on foot.

    More at link

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY KY - Karen Kappelman, 15, found dead in snowbank, Boone County, 27 Feb 2010
    By laura08 in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-17-2015, 08:14 AM
  2. MI - Police seek parents of 2-year-old boy found wandering, Detroit, Feb 2015
    By JLSChook in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2015, 04:55 PM
  3. MI - 11 kids removed from Pontiac home after 3yr old found wandering
    By longtallcold in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 12:51 AM
  4. GUILTY NJ - Michael Hawkins, 23, & Mariah Huff, 18, murdered, Camden, 22 Feb 2010
    By Filly in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 01:59 PM
  5. TX - Hungry 6 year old found wandering streets
    By SewingDeb in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 11:57 AM