Denny Doherty Of The Mamas And Papas Dead At 66

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
MISSISSAUGA, Ont. -- Former Mamas and the Papas member Denny Doherty died Friday at his home in Canada after a short illness. He was 66.

Doherty was one-quarter of the 1960s folk-rock group known for their soaring harmonies. Hits included "California Dreamin," "Monday Monday" and "Dedicated to the One I Love."

The Mamas and the Papas broke new ground by having women and men in one group at a time when most singing groups were unisex. Singer-songwriter Doherty teamed with John Phillips, the group's chief songwriter; his wife, Michelle; and another female vocalist, Cass Elliot
http://www.wesh.com/entertainment/10795939/detail.html

He is also the dad of McKenzie Phillips of "One Day At A Time". They both had drug problems,went through rehab together,and toured in a band while trying to stay clean several years back. That's too bad and too young.

ETA: Ooops ... I got mixed up,it was John Phillips that was McKenzie Phillips dad ... just the same,it's still sad. My goodness,the only one left in the group is Michelle.

Yes you're right Beyond Belief,my mistake.

Beyond Belief said:
Aren't John and Michelle her parents?
John and Michelle are the parents of Chynna Phillips. MacKenzie Phillips is John's daughter by his first wife.

Rest in Peace, Denny.

Beyond Belief said:
Aren't John and Michelle her parents?
I think that MacKenzie's mother worked at the Pentagon and divorced her rock and roll husband, John, before MacKenzie was 2 years old.. I believe that Michelle is the mother of Chynna Phillips, though.

Maral said:
John and Michelle are the parents of Chynna Phillips. MacKenzie Phillips is John's daughter by his first wife.

Rest in Peace, Denny.
You beat me to it! :) Didn't Denny have an affair with Michelle and Mama Cass was in love with him but not vice versa? Wasn't it rumored for a while that Denny was the father of Cass's daughter? It's been awhile. So, I may very well be confused.

I hope that Denny lived a good life. He has joined John and Cass in Heaven. :angel:

nanandjim said:
You beat me to it! :) Didn't Denny have an affair with Michelle and Mama Cass was in love with him but not vice versa? Wasn't it rumored for a while that Denny was the father of Cass's daughter? It's been awhile. So, I may very well be confused.

I hope that Denny lived a good life. He has joined John and Cass in Heaven. :angel:
I had forgotten about all of that, Nan. But now that you mention it, I do remember hearing those rumors.

Denny Doherty was the one with the voice as well as Mama Cass--the other two were just ok singers--Mamas and Papas had some classic songs way back then,, John Phllips wrote them all--R.I.P Denny-- World Without End Amen

This brings back so many memories.

R.I.P. Denny.

oh no... yet another 60's casualty. i love these guys... they were truly one of a kind. RIP

That's just sad, he's awfully young.

nanandjim said:
I think that MacKenzie's mother worked at the Pentagon and divorced her rock and roll husband, John, before MacKenzie was 2 years old.. I believe that Michelle is the mother of Chynna Phillips, though.
I am not sure about the Pentagon employment. Mackenzie's mom is socialite Susan Adams and comes from a wealthy family in Virginia.

Mackenzie was named for friend and fellow songwriter Scott MacKenzie.

Peace to Denny, John & Cass.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back