1213 users online (242 members and 971 guests)  

Websleuths News

Armed Man Guilty of Tax Evasion Barricades Himself in New Hampshire Home

CONCORD, N.H. A man who has holed up with armed supporters in his fortress-like house for most of his tax evasion trial was found guilty Thursday, along with his wife, of engaging in an elaborate scheme to avoid paying federal income taxes for a decade.

Ed Brown has said he will defend himself against capture if necessary; U.S. marshals said they have no plan of escalating the situation.

A jury decided the Browns plotted to hide their income and avoid taxes on Elaine Brown's income of $1.9 million between 1996 and 2003. Over 10 years, they also used $215,890 of postal money orders broken into increments just below the reporting threshold to pay for

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...national/crime

Jeez, what's with this couple? USA has much lower taxes than Europeans or Scandanavians---This guy doesn't realize how good he's got it--some people are so greedy--think they have a right not to pay any taxes--well, he's barricaded in his home now and he's saying "Come and get me!"--I think that's just what the US Marshals should do and forthwith

barricading himself in his home with a gun?? yeah, that's gonna work real well.. LOL.. sounds like he's been holed up there in the NH woods for too long, reading thoreau and books about the american revolution!
    i'm on the fence about taxes though... obviously we have to help support our infastructure, schools, etc.. and anyone who thinks they are above that should just go live somewhere else. but this war thing, that's another story.. so i can see why people would protest.. however this guy was hoarding his $$ from years before the war started. did he really think he could go up against the IRS and win??

(p.s. not that there's anything wrong with thoreau, i adore him!)

I agree that we need to pay taxes for the school system (one of your examples, reb) but I feel bad for the older people in any given community. For example, my in laws paid into their school district for some 20 years while their 2 sons used the system. It doesn't seem fair that they have to continue to pay for their neighbor's kids to go to school now that my husband and his brother are in their 30s and out on their own. People who are trying to save to retire should be exempt, I think. I know it is not feasible for the govt to sift through all the ages of the citizens of the district in question and make only certain people pay. But it still bugs me.
    PS I can't remember his name now but about 10-15 years ago, wasn't there some guy holed up in a ridge, refusing to come out? I think he had his wife and kids barricaded with him. The authorities finally shot them out. Anyone remember?

Quote Originally Posted by kidzndogznme
    I agree that we need to pay taxes for the school system (one of your examples, reb) but I feel bad for the older people in any given community. For example, my in laws paid into their school district for some 20 years while their 2 sons used the system. It doesn't seem fair that they have to continue to pay for their neighbor's kids to go to school now that my husband and his brother are in their 30s and out on their own. People who are trying to save to retire should be exempt, I think. I know it is not feasible for the govt to sift through all the ages of the citizens of the district in question and make only certain people pay. But it still bugs me.
    PS I can't remember his name now but about 10-15 years ago, wasn't there some guy holed up in a ridge, refusing to come out? I think he had his wife and kids barricaded with him. The authorities finally shot them out. Anyone remember?
    Are you thinking of Randy Weaver, the white separatist, and his family at Ruby Ridge in Idaho?

http://www.byington.org/Carl/ruby/ruby0.htm

Randy Weaver and it took place on Ruby Ridge in Idaho.
    Retired 08/03/03