GUILTY NY - Brian Barrett, 22, shot dead in catfishing love triangle, 15 Sept 2006

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
22-Year-Old New York Man Murdered After Being Drawn Into Internet Love Triangle

He was an 18-year-old Marine headed to war. She was an attractive young woman sending him off from afar with pictures and lingerie. Or so each one thought. In reality, they were two middle-aged people carrying on an Internet fantasy based on seemingly harmless lies. When a truthful 22-year-old was drawn in, their cyber escape turned deadly...

When Brian Barrett was shot to death Sept. 15 outside the factory where he worked to help pay for college, investigators and his family were stumped.

On Nov. 27, Barrett's 47-year-old co-worker and friend, Thomas Montgomery, was charged with Barrett's murder. The motive, said investigators, was jealousy over Barrett's budding Internet relationship with the same 18-year-old woman Montgomery had been wooing since the previous year.

What neither man knew was that the woman was really a 40-something West Virginia mother who was using her daughter's identity to attract Internet suitors. Cyberspace, it appears, was enough for her and it was a near certainty she would never have met either man.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

This is tragic. Why would a 40 something woman do this? I don't get it. How cruel of a person must she be? And what's a married man with children doing playing around on the internet trolling for an 18 year old GIRL? :confused:

SadieMae said:
This is tragic. Why would a 40 something woman do this? I don't get it. How cruel of a person must she be? And what's a married man with children doing playing around on the internet trolling for an 18 year old GIRL? :confused:
I was shocked she sent pictures of her own daughter...............:behindbar

unbelievable-:doh:

How sad for so many involved. They're not releasing the womans name who pretended to be her daughter, IMO she holds some guilt in what happened, you just don't play with peoples emotions like this!

VB

I can't believe that they would chat that long without getting on webcam. There's no people in their 40's who look 18. I'd say the both of them were predators. They each thought they were choosing a victim who was just barely legal.

txsvicki said:
I can't believe that they would chat that long without getting on webcam. There's no people in their 40's who look 18. I'd say the both of them were predators. They each thought they were choosing a victim who was just barely legal.
I don't think there is anything wrong with a 22 year old and and 18 year old getting together. Gosh, he was just probably looking for a girlfriend so I surely don't see him as a predator. But the MARRIED, FATHER had no business in any kind of relationship with an 18 year old girl. The one I blame the most is the 40's woman and second the 47 year old man for this young man's death.

From November 2007:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/1...or-bizarre-internet-love-triangle-murder.html

A 48-year-old man entangled in an Internet love triangle built largely on lies was sentenced Tuesday to 20 years in prison for killing his rival for the affection of a woman he had never met.

Thomas Montgomery, who posed as an 18-year-old Marine in online chats, pleaded guilty in August to gunning down Brian Barrett, 22, in a parking lot at the suburban Buffalo factory where they worked.

From July 2010:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbara-schroeder/and-you-thought-your-moth_b_542100.html

By all accounts, Mary Shieler was a perfect mother, one who loved and spoiled her breathtakingly beautiful teenage daughter Jessi... Which makes it all the more difficult to understand the evil this mother was secretly unleashing into cyberspace...

[T]his story ends with one man dead, one in prison, and one mother who was never charged with a crime. No laws exist against what she did.

The real Jessi found out what her mother had done after a random Google search of her mother's name. We're told Jessi doesn't speak to Mary anymore.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back