1057 users online (214 members and 843 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Families, not fashion to blame for anorexia

Supermodel Gisele Bundchen has entered the growing anorexia debate in Brazil, saying families are to blame -- not the fashion industry.
    "I never suffered this problem because I had a very strong family base," Bundchen was quoted as saying in Friday's edition of O Globo newspaper. "The parents are responsible, not fashion."

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/....ap/index.html

families definitely need to keep an eye on their girls, IMO.

fashion shouldn't be responsible for choices of eating.

That's a bunch of crap.

I'd like to know the height and weight of Gisele. She has looked pretty anorexic in some of the photos that I have seen of her. I guess that she'd say that she has a fast metabolism and is naturally thin; you know, like most of the actresses in Hollywood are.

We as a society are bombarded with ultra thin, "beautiful" images every day. Adults strive to achieve these impossible standards. So, why would any reasonable person think that children wouldn't do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    That's a bunch of crap.

Yeah, the fashion industry has nothing to do with the fact that runway clothes are size 0-4 (4 is large, I believe). Meanwhile the average American woman is size 12. Hmmmm...

Eve

That's a bunch of crap.
    I agree.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by eve
    Yeah, the fashion industry has nothing to do with the fact that runway clothes are size 0-4 (4 is large, I believe). Meanwhile the average American woman is size 12. Hmmmm...

Eve

So, you think a girl who wants to break into modeling is going to listen to her mother who says, go ahead and eat your dinner or her agent who is telling her to lose another five pounds? The families, as much as these girls love them, don't know what sells in the fashion industry. Gisele has also gone on record to say that she can pretty much eat anything and not gain weight. She's not the average model. I spent some time around that industry and I'm telling you that families don't have any influence over the girls who think they can "make it" by skipping a few more meals.

Why is it one or the other? There are anorexics who aren't models and don't intend to be, so obviously there are influences that don't come directly from fashion insiders. On the other hand, it's equally obvious that our culture as a whole is obsessed with thinness.

So, you think a girl who wants to break into modeling is going to listen to her mother who says, go ahead and eat your dinner or her agent who is telling her to lose another five pounds? The families, as much as these girls love them, don't know what sells in the fashion industry. Gisele has also gone on record to say that she can pretty much eat anything and not gain weight. She's not the average model. I spent some time around that industry and I'm telling you that families don't have any influence over the girls who think they can "make it" by skipping a few more meals.

Jeana, I agree with you, not sure why it didn't come through in my post - maybe I misunderstood your previous post, I dunno!

I was being sarcastic - the fashion industry and agents, etc. have everything to do with it - if they didn't, runway models would more closely reflect the general population, not women who look like toothpicks with a gait problem.

I have a 16-year old daughter! Does she want to listen to me about fashion? Not so much!

I have known a few models and ballerinas and mama mia! Food issues, body issues, control issues...

Size 0 is impossible for just about anyone - and unhealhy physically and emotionally.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    Why is it one or the other? There are anorexics who aren't models and don't intend to be, so obviously there are influences that don't come directly from fashion insiders. On the other hand, it's equally obvious that our culture as a whole is obsessed with thinness.
    The way it is for woman is if you're overweight you're not attractive.
    This is what society teaches us.
    Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by csds703
    The way it is for woman is if you're overweight you're not attractive.
    This is what society teaches us.
    Sad but true.
    It is becoming increasingly true for men as well. And yup, sure enough, we start to see anorexia in young men, too.

The fact is that clothing looks better on thin women. That's all fine and good, but even the industry knows that its gone too far. There are measures being put into place right now that will ensure that too thin models will not be hired. I'm 6'0 tall. At my thinest I was about 123. It was great for clothing, but my family was very concerned. I look better at about 145-150. The lifestyle that models live is unhealthy for anyone, much less a driven, teenaged girl who is hearing from just about everyone to stay thin.

Quote Originally Posted by eve
    Jeana, I agree with you, not sure why it didn't come through in my post - maybe I misunderstood your previous post, I dunno!

I was being sarcastic - the fashion industry and agents, etc. have everything to do with it - if they didn't, runway models would more closely reflect the general population, not women who look like toothpicks with a gait problem.

I have a 16-year old daughter! Does she want to listen to me about fashion? Not so much!

I have known a few models and ballerinas and mama mia! Food issues, body issues, control issues...

Size 0 is impossible for just about anyone - and unhealhy physically and emotionally.

Eve

I agree! We were agreeing with one another - and very strenuously!!!!

I agree with you Nova. Parents need to keep a watchful eye on what their kids are eating.. but the fashion industry would do well to put more "normal" sized women in their modeling. It's not the fault of one or the other.

Kind of a side note- but related.. there is a commercial for Dove Soap and lotions (I think it's dove) that has made a point to put ALL "normal" sized women in it. It was pointed out by someone on a talk show that the women are all beautiful and that we should be seeing more ads and commercials like that.

The fact is that clothing looks better on thin women. That's all fine and good, but even the industry knows that its gone too far. There are measures being put into place right now that will ensure that too thin models will not be hired. I'm 6'0 tall. At my thinest I was about 123. It was great for clothing, but my family was very concerned. I look better at about 145-150. The lifestyle that models live is unhealthy for anyone, much less a driven, teenaged girl who is hearing from just about everyone to stay thin.
    You sound like my sister. She is 5'11" and gorgeous. But when she was a teenager, she was always comparing her weight to that of her friends, most of whom were 5'2" or shorter. Used to make us crazy! (But she turned out alright.)

You sound like my sister. She is 5'11" and gorgeous. But when she was a teenager, she was always comparing her weight to that of her friends, most of whom were 5'2" or shorter. Used to make us crazy! (But she turned out alright.)

With a brother like you, I'm not surprised; but glad that things worked out okay! I think as a whole, they need to join the rest of us in the 21st century. People who work out have more muscle mass and as we all know, muscle weighs more than fat. Nowadays I never weigh myself, but rather judge how my clothing fits to see if I've been overdoing it. I'm in the battle with my 11-year old daughter who seems to think that if she can "jiggle" any part of her body, she's "fat." Right now, she only sees the cons of someone who will probably be taller than I, but hopefully, once she grows into herself and her self confidence, she'll realize that being tall is wonderful and being tall means that we're going to "weigh" more than women who are 5'2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast