Families, not fashion to blame for anorexia

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Supermodel Gisele Bundchen has entered the growing anorexia debate in Brazil, saying families are to blame -- not the fashion industry.
"I never suffered this problem because I had a very strong family base," Bundchen was quoted as saying in Friday's edition of O Globo newspaper. "The parents are responsible, not fashion."

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/01/21/brazil.bundchen.ap/index.html

families definitely need to keep an eye on their girls, IMO.

fashion shouldn't be responsible for choices of eating.

I'd like to know the height and weight of Gisele. She has looked pretty anorexic in some of the photos that I have seen of her. I guess that she'd say that she has a fast metabolism and is naturally thin; you know, like most of the actresses in Hollywood are. :rolleyes:

We as a society are bombarded with ultra thin, "beautiful" images every day. Adults strive to achieve these impossible standards. So, why would any reasonable person think that children wouldn't do the same?

Jeana (DP) said:
That's a bunch of crap.

Yeah, the fashion industry has nothing to do with the fact that runway clothes are size 0-4 (4 is large, I believe). :rolleyes: Meanwhile the average American woman is size 12. Hmmmm...

Eve

eve said:
Yeah, the fashion industry has nothing to do with the fact that runway clothes are size 0-4 (4 is large, I believe). :rolleyes: Meanwhile the average American woman is size 12. Hmmmm...

Eve

So, you think a girl who wants to break into modeling is going to listen to her mother who says, go ahead and eat your dinner or her agent who is telling her to lose another five pounds? The families, as much as these girls love them, don't know what sells in the fashion industry. Gisele has also gone on record to say that she can pretty much eat anything and not gain weight. She's not the average model. I spent some time around that industry and I'm telling you that families don't have any influence over the girls who think they can "make it" by skipping a few more meals.

Why is it one or the other? There are anorexics who aren't models and don't intend to be, so obviously there are influences that don't come directly from fashion insiders. On the other hand, it's equally obvious that our culture as a whole is obsessed with thinness.

Jeana (DP) said:
So, you think a girl who wants to break into modeling is going to listen to her mother who says, go ahead and eat your dinner or her agent who is telling her to lose another five pounds? The families, as much as these girls love them, don't know what sells in the fashion industry. Gisele has also gone on record to say that she can pretty much eat anything and not gain weight. She's not the average model. I spent some time around that industry and I'm telling you that families don't have any influence over the girls who think they can "make it" by skipping a few more meals.

Jeana, I agree with you, not sure why it didn't come through in my post - maybe I misunderstood your previous post, I dunno! :waitasec:

I was being sarcastic - the fashion industry and agents, etc. have everything to do with it - if they didn't, runway models would more closely reflect the general population, not women who look like toothpicks with a gait problem.

I have a 16-year old daughter! Does she want to listen to me about fashion? Not so much!

I have known a few models and ballerinas and mama mia! Food issues, body issues, control issues...

Size 0 is impossible for just about anyone - and unhealhy physically and emotionally.

Eve

Nova said:
Why is it one or the other? There are anorexics who aren't models and don't intend to be, so obviously there are influences that don't come directly from fashion insiders. On the other hand, it's equally obvious that our culture as a whole is obsessed with thinness.
The way it is for woman is if you're overweight you're not attractive.
This is what society teaches us.
Sad but true.

csds703 said:
The way it is for woman is if you're overweight you're not attractive.
This is what society teaches us.
Sad but true.

It is becoming increasingly true for men as well. And yup, sure enough, we start to see anorexia in young men, too.

The fact is that clothing looks better on thin women. That's all fine and good, but even the industry knows that its gone too far. There are measures being put into place right now that will ensure that too thin models will not be hired. I'm 6'0 tall. At my thinest I was about 123. It was great for clothing, but my family was very concerned. I look better at about 145-150. The lifestyle that models live is unhealthy for anyone, much less a driven, teenaged girl who is hearing from just about everyone to stay thin.

eve said:
Jeana, I agree with you, not sure why it didn't come through in my post - maybe I misunderstood your previous post, I dunno! :waitasec:

I was being sarcastic - the fashion industry and agents, etc. have everything to do with it - if they didn't, runway models would more closely reflect the general population, not women who look like toothpicks with a gait problem.

I have a 16-year old daughter! Does she want to listen to me about fashion? Not so much!

I have known a few models and ballerinas and mama mia! Food issues, body issues, control issues...

Size 0 is impossible for just about anyone - and unhealhy physically and emotionally.

Eve

I agree! We were agreeing with one another - and very strenuously!!!! :blowkiss:

Nova said:
I agree with you Nova. Parents need to keep a watchful eye on what their kids are eating.. but the fashion industry would do well to put more "normal" sized women in their modeling. It's not the fault of one or the other.

Kind of a side note- but related.. there is a commercial for Dove Soap and lotions (I think it's dove) that has made a point to put ALL "normal" sized women in it. It was pointed out by someone on a talk show that the women are all beautiful and that we should be seeing more ads and commercials like that.

Jeana (DP) said:
The fact is that clothing looks better on thin women. That's all fine and good, but even the industry knows that its gone too far. There are measures being put into place right now that will ensure that too thin models will not be hired. I'm 6'0 tall. At my thinest I was about 123. It was great for clothing, but my family was very concerned. I look better at about 145-150. The lifestyle that models live is unhealthy for anyone, much less a driven, teenaged girl who is hearing from just about everyone to stay thin.

You sound like my sister. She is 5'11" and gorgeous. But when she was a teenager, she was always comparing her weight to that of her friends, most of whom were 5'2" or shorter. Used to make us crazy! (But she turned out alright.)

Nova said:
You sound like my sister. She is 5'11" and gorgeous. But when she was a teenager, she was always comparing her weight to that of her friends, most of whom were 5'2" or shorter. Used to make us crazy! (But she turned out alright.)

With a brother like you, I'm not surprised; but glad that things worked out okay! I think as a whole, they need to join the rest of us in the 21st century. People who work out have more muscle mass and as we all know, muscle weighs more than fat. Nowadays I never weigh myself, but rather judge how my clothing fits to see if I've been overdoing it. I'm in the battle with my 11-year old daughter who seems to think that if she can "jiggle" any part of her body, she's "fat." Right now, she only sees the cons of someone who will probably be taller than I, but hopefully, once she grows into herself and her self confidence, she'll realize that being tall is wonderful and being tall means that we're going to "weigh" more than women who are 5'2. ;)

eve said:

Eve
I heard, but can't remember where, there will be/is new sizes now that will go past size 0. There will be a -1, -2. I'll see if I can find that info again. I thought it was ridiculous! I have seen what a size 0 jeans look like, I can't image anyone going SMALLER than that!!!

New York's next Fashion Week begins on February 2.

Last month Milan fashion houses formally barred ultra-skinny and under-age models from its February shows.

The agreement between the city of Milan and its powerful fashion industry bans models under 16 and those with a body mass index of less than 18.5 from Milan's shows.

Body mass index is the ratio of weight to the square of height -- so that a 5 foot 8 inch (1.73 metre) model who weighed less than 122 lb (55.4 kg) would be barred.

Milan remains the only city of the four world centres of fashion -- the others being New York, London and Paris -- to enact an outright ban.

'FALSE REMEDY?'

Mario Boselli, head of the Italian National Chamber of Fashion, has said he plans to meet with other industry leaders later this month to press the issue.

Didier Grumbach, the president of France's Chambre Syndicale who oversees Paris's fashion week, has said he does not think regulation is the answer to the problem of anorexia and has called the imposition of rules "a false remedy."

Spain barred models below a certain weight from a September fashion show in Madrid, and Britain's culture minister called for "stick-thin" models to be banned from the catwalk during London Fashion Week.

more:

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=64082007

Jeana (DP) said:
With a brother like you...

I can't take any credit. She's a wonder, my sister is!

After years of insisting she was too fat, she moved to New York City in her late teens. Modeling agents and reps started following her around on the street. She wasn't interested in that career, but I think she got over the idea that she was unattractive.

God, I thought it was really funny / rich that Anna Wintour jumped in on the NY forum. (Anna has some...issues about weight--not only for models, but her own staff.)

Anorexia is really about controling one's surroundings. I think family does have a lot to do with boys and girls developing anorexia. Over bearing parents, over achieving, perfectionist youngsters and parents all contribute to anorexia. Anorexics strive for control,acceptance, approval and to elevate their self esteem.
IMO where fashion comes into this is that these young girls and boys think that if they look like these models they will get the acceptance and self esteem they want to fill the voids they have. It is society's view of thin being beautiful that they are seeking, It's not so much they want to be thin as much as it is they want to be what is sought after. So if there was pressure from society to be fat, these kids would probably swing the other way and overeat to find approval they desperately need in their life.They are seeking the "ideal" through self control. Society dictates the ideal so that is an integral part of AN.
IOW it is both family, fashion and societal pressure.JMHO of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back