Just a Thought...

wanderingthru

Reaction score
I was just thinking... has anyone ever thought about looking for runaways or missing adults at communes? What I mean is like one of the several hundred "alternate communities" there are in the United States. I never even thought about it until around a year ago one of these communities moved into my small town and is now apparently going to stay for a while. The particular one I am talking about is called "The Twelve Tribes - A Commonwealth of Israel" and there is information about them on the internet www.twelvetribes.org. It looks fairly easy to join them - all it says you need to do is give them all your "worldly posessions" and live the sort of life they want you to live. That to me looks like a place that someone could hide in easily and start a new life. In this particular group I am speaking about all the men grow beards and grow their hair long. To top it off - they even give you a new name. What are everyone's thoughts about this?
Please be nice - this is my first post. I have been lurking here for right around two years. I just never really posted before.
:innocent:

WOW! Great find! I have to go to work, but I'll be back this afternoon to continue reading about this group. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! :)

I especially was thinking about non-custodial parents who have taken their children. That would be the perfect place to hide. A completely new life for all of them. The kids of these communities are home-schooled and the adults work for the commune - they are almost completely hidden from the probing eyes of the public. The members of this community are required to give away all of their posessions and begin living a "new life" - they even provide housing for them. Seems like the perfect hide-away, huh?

wanderingthru said:
I especially was thinking about non-custodial parents who have taken their children. That would be the perfect place to hide. A completely new life for all of them. The kids of these communities are home-schooled and the adults work for the commune - they are almost completely hidden from the probing eyes of the public. The members of this community are required to give away all of their posessions and begin living a "new life" - they even provide housing for them. Seems like the perfect hide-away, huh?
welcome wanderingthru...do you know something about someone that is missing? Sounds like you know alot about their way of life.
You are correct it would be a grand way to hide an adult or kid.

No, I don't know of anyone that has used this method. I have been researching this particular commune because, like I said before, some of their members have in the last year, moved into our small town and I believe they are staying here and trying to recruit new members. So, I did a little research on them and in the process, started thinking that this would be a great opportunity for someone that was wanting to hide away from the general public (whether it be someone with a criminal background, running from the police for something or running with their children). Of course, I have no idea whether these people run background checks on their members, but I really highly doubt that they do.
These community members seem like sweet and peaceful people. But, I have read several things on the net that gives me the impression that maybe what they show prospective members is not necessarily what their day-to-day life really consists of.

Interesting site~! Anytime a person has to leave his/her identity behind is cause for concern imo.

wanderingthru said:
Wanderingthru, what an insightful way of thinking. Perfect hideout in every way. And, the members are likely to keep quiet if questioned about any of their members. I am so glad you posted this; it sure gives us another avenue to think about.

Lion

Wow. That is a really interesting site. It does make you wonder if everyone is really as "healthy and happy" as they indicate. I agree, wanderingthru, that this could be a perfect place to disappear. Especially if it were a noncustodial parent who might have no problem giving up worldly possessions for the anonimity and seclusion of this commune. And could LE even search the commune if there were no reasonable cause to do so? It sounds like the perfect plan for someone trying to disappear.

If you read through Mike Hogan's comments about his son's disappearance at www.helpfindmikehogan.org , you'll see that he appears to suspect that his son may have become involved with the Twelve Tribes.

Helper, thanks for the link.
I need to read up on Mike again.

This is sure an interesting topic.

This is a great idea! I have also recently presented the idea of legal brothels in Nevada. I can understand how girls could hide out in these places and never be found. I am trying to begin a diaglog with them to find out if they ever check for missing girls.....will let y'all know if I have any success!

Regarding the idea of family abductors hiding themselves & kids in communes: A few years ago there was a case of a man who abducted his two daughters from I think Illinois, and turned up in a "religious community" in Belize. I don't have any more details than that, though.

Very interesting thoughts. A commune like this would be perfect for missing adults who wanted to vanish and start a new life.

I was just thinking... has anyone ever thought about looking for runaways or missing adults at communes? What I mean is like one of the several hundred "alternate communities" there are in the United States. I never even thought about it until around a year ago one of these communities moved into my small town and is now apparently going to stay for a while. The particular one I am talking about is called "The Twelve Tribes - A Commonwealth of Israel" and there is information about them on the internet www.twelvetribes.org. It looks fairly easy to join them - all it says you need to do is give them all your "worldly posessions" and live the sort of life they want you to live. That to me looks like a place that someone could hide in easily and start a new life. In this particular group I am speaking about all the men grow beards and grow their hair long. To top it off - they even give you a new name. What are everyone's thoughts about this?
Please be nice - this is my first post. I have been lurking here for right around two years. I just never really posted before.
:innocent:
Well, what a great way to come out of lurkdom!! :clap: Welcome to posting, I hope you continue!! Your thoughts on communes being a great hiding spot for people who want to disappear makes perfect sense to me! That never even dawned on me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back