753 users online (80 members and 673 guests)  

Websleuths News

TX - Push to put juvenile sex offenders on SO lists

Here's a local Lubbock Texas article about a 10 year old who touched two little girls. He's been placed into an alternative school and the article says that these offenders are "free and roaming the streets and schools". I agree that these kids need drastic help, but also know and was told by a psychologist that there is very little help around for them. I'm not sure I agree with permanent alternative schooling or placing a child on sexual offender list for the rest of their lives, if that is what this woman wants. There is a killer running around free here right now and I have not seen a public stink over him at all or about several dead girls and missing women. Nancy Grace made more of a fuss on her show last year.

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=5974663

Vicki, are you in Lubbock?

Yes, I'm in Lubbock

That was quite a snow last weekend wasn't it? Could you believe the crowds at the grocery store?

On topic: I don't know if I like the idea of a child put on a SO list for the rest of their lives (10 years old?!?) I think it would depend on the severity of the crime. I know there are people who don't agree that there are degrees, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by dasaky
    That was quite a snow last weekend wasn't it? Could you believe the crowds at the grocery store?

On topic: I don't know if I like the idea of a child put on a SO list for the rest of their lives (10 years old?!?) I think it would depend on the severity of the crime. I know there are people who don't agree that there are degrees, but I do.
    Yes, we're having a bad Winter this year. I heard that the Muleshoe area got 12 inches. For once, I went to grocery ahead of time and missed the crowds. I'm going to try and keep up with this subject and find out more because I'd like to know if this bill passes requiring the school to put these kids into alternative schools and if they want it to be a permanent thing since long term treatment could last for years. I did find out that there aren't any laws right now requiring kids be put on the SO list, but that it seems to be up to the judge and I don't think that these lists have been available to the public for about 5 years.

From my point of view, I think there should be an official SO list for schools. Once the kid has graduated, he/she should be re-evaluated. I HATE the fact that I don't know who has done what in my classroom! I've had child molestors, rapists, murderers, etc. . . .I'm supposed to be responsible for keeping everyone safe, but how can I do that w/o information? The principal believes all our students are "good kids." 95% are, but that 5% can do a lot of damage to others in restrooms, the courtyard, etc. . . .

Yes, schools probably should be informed about kids who do such things, especially the more violent crimes. I just worry about elementary age kids who are acting out due to possible abuse or mental illness being placed on sex offender lists and put into alternative schools as punishment and not getting the proper long term help.