1372 users online (258 members and 1114 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oscar nominations

They're out! The nominees:
    Best Picture: "Babel," "The Departed," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen."

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children."

Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed."

Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

Directing: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Stephen Frears, "The Queen"; Paul Greengrass, "United 93."

Any favorites? Any surprises?
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ljwf22
    They're out! The nominees:
    Best Picture: "Babel," "The Departed," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen."

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children."

Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed."

Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

Directing: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Stephen Frears, "The Queen"; Paul Greengrass, "United 93."

Any favorites? Any surprises?
    It's a very diverse field of nominees, which is nice. I was particularly delighted that Ryan Gosling's performance in HALF NELSON and Mark Wahlberg's performance in THE DEPARTED were recognized.

I was amazed that Babel made best pic - that movie was a mess! Little Miss Sunshine was okay, but nothing special in my opinion. I like The Departed for Best Pic.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    It's a very diverse field of nominees, which is nice. I was particularly delighted that Ryan Gosling's performance in HALF NELSON and Mark Wahlberg's performance in THE DEPARTED were recognized.

I was amazed that Babel made best pic - that movie was a mess! Little Miss Sunshine was okay, but nothing special in my opinion. I like The Departed for Best Pic.
    I was glad to see Ryan Gosling nominated as well. He's very talented. I was surprised that Dreamgirls wasn't a best picture nominee.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

I can see that I have alot of movies to see! I did think Little Miss Sunshine was good, Abigail Breslin was very good. and I agree on Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls.

I want to see the Queen, heard it was good. Heard the Departed is great..

Quote Originally Posted by ljwf22
    I was glad to see Ryan Gosling nominated as well. He's very talented. I was surprised that Dreamgirls wasn't a best picture nominee.
    I think a lot of people were surprised by that - but the picture as a whole did get a lot of nominations.

Little Miss Sunshine is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I am so glad it was recognized. I thought the Departed was a real snooze.I would like to see Dreamgirls and The Queen.
    I heard Volver was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    Little Miss Sunshine is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I am so glad it was recognized. I thought the Departed was a real snooze.I would like to see Dreamgirls and The Queen.
    I heard Volver was outstanding.
    Hi JBean,

Isn't that funny?! I thought LMS was a snooze and The Departed was amazing!

I think a lot of people were surprised by that - but the picture as a whole did get a lot of nominations.
    I think the reason Dreamgirls wasn't nominated for best picture is that it was "overlong" and dragged the second half; also the music was "all alike", I got tired of it, would like more variation in the types of music and dance routines. IMO.

I thought Little Miss Sunshine was a hoot also, and a good screenplay.

Hi JBean,

Isn't that funny?! I thought LMS was a snooze and The Departed was amazing!
    I just saw that lol. Can you imagine trying to make a movie that evryone likes?
    Sometimes it depends on my frame of mind when I see a movie.
    The Departed was boring for me and Jack Nicholson has gotten to where he only can play the one part of a crazy dude.zzzzzzzzz
    I thought LMS was absolutely brilliant. Top 10 of my all time faves.

I haven't seen a single one of these. Sometimes I find the Oscar nominated movies to be a little boring, strange or just not that good. (like Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven). Sometimes I will rent one and then after it is over, I don't feel very entertained.

I was very disturbed by Monster with Charlize Theron. VERY disturbed; I'm sure that is one of the emotions they want to bring out of the audience for it to be an award winner.

Loved the big epic ones like Titanic and The English Patient though.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    I just saw that lol. Can you imagine trying to make a movie that evryone likes?
    Sometimes it depends on my frame of mind when I see a movie.
    The Departed was boring for me and Jack Nicholson has gotten to where he only can play the one part of a crazy dude.zzzzzzzzz
    I thought LMS was absolutely brilliant. Top 10 of my all time faves.
    Nicholson was my LEAST favorite part of The Departed...I actually felt like he was too over-the-top and l agree with you that that's what he does these days - crazy lunatic characters. Oh well...the rest of it, I loved.

I think what might have happened with me and Little Miss Sunshine is that I saw it late in the game after everyone had told me it was the best most brilliant movie they had seen all year....I might have built it up in my head too much and then been let down.

Half Nelson was also one of the best movies I saw this year. I also really loved The Descent, but I knew it wouldn't get nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf
    I haven't seen a single one of these. Sometimes I find the Oscar nominated movies to be a little boring, strange or just not that good. (like Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven). Sometimes I will rent one and then after it is over, I don't feel very entertained.

I was very disturbed by Monster with Charlize Theron. VERY disturbed; I'm sure that is one of the emotions they want to bring out of the audience for it to be an award winner.

Loved the big epic ones like Titanic and The English Patient though.
    I so rarely go to the movies it is a miracle I have seen any of these lol. The couple I have seen this year reflect a record high for me!

I was really glad to see Ryan Gosling and Djimon Hounsou nominated. I was also glad to see that Beyonce wasn't nominated.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon

I think what might have happened with me and Little Miss Sunshine is that I saw it late in the game after everyone had told me it was the best most brilliant movie they had seen all year....I might have built it up in my head too much and then been let down.
    No, you're right about LMS. Much as I love the cast, it isn't all that. And by the time they steal the body (for no logical reason; they could have just left and come back the next day), it turns into National Lampoon's Vacation redux.

JBean's taste is invariably excellent, of course. I'm sure she's just kidding us about this movie.

ETA: I'm very pleased for Jennifer Hudson. She was treated very badly on American Idol. Success is the best revenge.

a hop, skip & a jump from Texas Motor Speedway
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    ETA: I'm very pleased for Jennifer Hudson. She was treated very badly on American Idol. Success is the best revenge.
    AMEN!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast