Oscar nominations

ljwf22

Reality continues to ruin my life.
Reaction score
They're out! The nominees:
Best Picture: "Babel," "The Departed," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen."

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children."

Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed."

Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

Directing: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Stephen Frears, "The Queen"; Paul Greengrass, "United 93."

Any favorites? Any surprises?

ljwf22 said:
They're out! The nominees:
Best Picture: "Babel," "The Departed," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen."

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children."

Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed."

Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

Directing: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Stephen Frears, "The Queen"; Paul Greengrass, "United 93."

Any favorites? Any surprises?
It's a very diverse field of nominees, which is nice. I was particularly delighted that Ryan Gosling's performance in HALF NELSON and Mark Wahlberg's performance in THE DEPARTED were recognized.

I was amazed that Babel made best pic - that movie was a mess! Little Miss Sunshine was okay, but nothing special in my opinion. I like The Departed for Best Pic.

southcitymom said:
It's a very diverse field of nominees, which is nice. I was particularly delighted that Ryan Gosling's performance in HALF NELSON and Mark Wahlberg's performance in THE DEPARTED were recognized.

I was amazed that Babel made best pic - that movie was a mess! Little Miss Sunshine was okay, but nothing special in my opinion. I like The Departed for Best Pic.
I was glad to see Ryan Gosling nominated as well. He's very talented. I was surprised that Dreamgirls wasn't a best picture nominee.

I can see that I have alot of movies to see! I did think Little Miss Sunshine was good, Abigail Breslin was very good. and I agree on Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls.

I want to see the Queen, heard it was good. Heard the Departed is great..

ljwf22 said:
I was glad to see Ryan Gosling nominated as well. He's very talented. I was surprised that Dreamgirls wasn't a best picture nominee.
I think a lot of people were surprised by that - but the picture as a whole did get a lot of nominations.

Little Miss Sunshine is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I am so glad it was recognized. I thought the Departed was a real snooze.I would like to see Dreamgirls and The Queen.
I heard Volver was outstanding.

JBean said:
Little Miss Sunshine is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I am so glad it was recognized. I thought the Departed was a real snooze.I would like to see Dreamgirls and The Queen.
I heard Volver was outstanding.
Hi JBean,

Isn't that funny?! :) I thought LMS was a snooze and The Departed was amazing!

southcitymom said:
I think a lot of people were surprised by that - but the picture as a whole did get a lot of nominations.

I think the reason Dreamgirls wasn't nominated for best picture is that it was "overlong" and dragged the second half; also the music was "all alike", I got tired of it, would like more variation in the types of music and dance routines. IMO.

I thought Little Miss Sunshine was a hoot also, and a good screenplay.

southcitymom said:
Hi JBean,

Isn't that funny?! :) I thought LMS was a snooze and The Departed was amazing!
I just saw that lol. Can you imagine trying to make a movie that evryone likes?
Sometimes it depends on my frame of mind when I see a movie.
The Departed was boring for me and Jack Nicholson has gotten to where he only can play the one part of a crazy dude.zzzzzzzzz
I thought LMS was absolutely brilliant. Top 10 of my all time faves.

I haven't seen a single one of these. Sometimes I find the Oscar nominated movies to be a little boring, strange or just not that good. (like Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven). Sometimes I will rent one and then after it is over, I don't feel very entertained.

I was very disturbed by Monster with Charlize Theron. VERY disturbed; I'm sure that is one of the emotions they want to bring out of the audience for it to be an award winner.

Loved the big epic ones like Titanic and The English Patient though.

JBean said:
I just saw that lol. Can you imagine trying to make a movie that evryone likes?
Sometimes it depends on my frame of mind when I see a movie.
The Departed was boring for me and Jack Nicholson has gotten to where he only can play the one part of a crazy dude.zzzzzzzzz
I thought LMS was absolutely brilliant. Top 10 of my all time faves.
Nicholson was my LEAST favorite part of The Departed...I actually felt like he was too over-the-top and l agree with you that that's what he does these days - crazy lunatic characters. Oh well...the rest of it, I loved.

I think what might have happened with me and Little Miss Sunshine is that I saw it late in the game after everyone had told me it was the best most brilliant movie they had seen all year....I might have built it up in my head too much and then been let down.

Half Nelson was also one of the best movies I saw this year. I also really loved The Descent, but I knew it wouldn't get nominated.

Smurf said:
I haven't seen a single one of these. Sometimes I find the Oscar nominated movies to be a little boring, strange or just not that good. (like Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven). Sometimes I will rent one and then after it is over, I don't feel very entertained.

I was very disturbed by Monster with Charlize Theron. VERY disturbed; I'm sure that is one of the emotions they want to bring out of the audience for it to be an award winner.

Loved the big epic ones like Titanic and The English Patient though.
I so rarely go to the movies it is a miracle I have seen any of these lol. The couple I have seen this year reflect a record high for me!

I was really glad to see Ryan Gosling and Djimon Hounsou nominated. I was also glad to see that Beyonce wasn't nominated. :)

southcitymom said:
I think what might have happened with me and Little Miss Sunshine is that I saw it late in the game after everyone had told me it was the best most brilliant movie they had seen all year....I might have built it up in my head too much and then been let down.

No, you're right about LMS. Much as I love the cast, it isn't all that. And by the time they steal the body (for no logical reason; they could have just left and come back the next day), it turns into National Lampoon's Vacation redux.

JBean's taste is invariably excellent, of course. I'm sure she's just kidding us about this movie.

ETA: I'm very pleased for Jennifer Hudson. She was treated very badly on American Idol. Success is the best revenge.

Nova said:
ETA: I'm very pleased for Jennifer Hudson. She was treated very badly on American Idol. Success is the best revenge.
AMEN!!! :)

Nova said:
No, you're right about LMS. Much as I love the cast, it isn't all that. And by the time they steal the body (for no logical reason; they could have just left and come back the next day), it turns into National Lampoon's Vacation redux.

JBean's taste is invariably excellent, of course. I'm sure she's just kidding us about this movie.

heehee Nova. I did think it was all that.
The only problem that was at the pageant when John Mark Karr introduced Olive and then Olive did her routine, my sister nearly had a heart attack from laughter. It was a serious situation.

I'm a big Kate Winslet fan. She has been nominated so many times but has never won. I'm sure this likely won't be her year, either. She is phenomenally talented and I am mystified why she's been, metaphorically speaking, the bridesmaid so many times but never the bride. :waitasec: I used to think it was b/c she is British, but so are Dame Judi Dench and Helen Mirren, etc. I know she tends to shun the Hollywood scene most of the time, so maybe that could be a reason.

JBean said:
heehee Nova. I did think it was all that.
The only problem that was at the pageant when John Mark Karr introduced Olive and then Olive did her routine, my sister nearly had a heart attack from laughter. It was a serious situation.

Some people believe a movie is a series of moments and there's no question LMS has some great ones. (The "real" pageant contenders are seriously disturbing, for example.)

But for those of us who view a movie as we view a play or novel, who believe the "whole" is greater than the sum of its parts, LMS just doesn't hold up.

Nova said:
Some people believe a movie is a series of moments and there's no question LMS has some great ones. (The "real" pageant contenders are seriously disturbing, for example.)

But for those of us who view a movie as we view a play or novel, who believe the "whole" is greater than the sum of its parts, LMS just doesn't hold up.
I feel that way about Borat. It had some funny parts, but as a whole it doesn't hold up.
For me, LMS held up. But I am surprised though, that it appealed to the masses enough to get an Oscar nod.

Nova said:

Yes, this describes my feeling about LMS and Babel. Lord, I wanted to like Babel, but at the end, dh and I just turned to each other and said, "Dear God, that was a mess..." Again - some great moments in Babel - but the whole fell apart like dust.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back