3 year-old Kicked Off Plane After Tantrum

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Flight attendants often deal with obnoxious passengers who won't listen to instructions by kicking them off the plane. But a Massachusetts couple think AirTran Airways went overboard by treating their crying 3-year-old daughter in much the same way.
Julie and Gerry Kulesza and daughter Elly were removed from the flight when the girl refused to take her seat before takeoff, airline officials said Tuesday. But her parents said they just needed a little more time to calm her down.

The Kuleszas planned to fly home to Boston on Jan. 14 from Fort Myers after a four-day visit with the girl's paternal grandparents. She was removed because "she was climbing under the seat and hitting the parents and wouldn't get in her seat" during boarding, AirTran spokeswoman Judy Graham-Weaver said.

AirTran officials say they were only following Federal Aviation Administration rules that children age 2 and above must have their own seat and be wearing a seatbelt upon takeoff.

More at link: http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/23/D8MR41C02.html

I imagine there will be a lot of children getting kicked off flights if this lead is followed.

"The flight was already delayed 15 minutes and in fairness to the other 112 passengers on the plane, the crew made an operational decision to remove the family," Graham-Weaver said.

I think the airline did the right thing.

I just read this story and it made me giggle. I do feel for the parents - it's tough to fly with children that age.

My youngest son at the age of 3 got a written warning when he was on a flight with us. It was before landing and he had his own seat and he somehow managed to totally dismantle his seatbealt - I mean we handed it to the flight attendant in pieces - unfixable, unuseable. The flight attendant let him sit in my lap for landing, but she wrote up a report and made me sign it. Hilarious!

They were reimbursed for the trip and given three round trip tickets to anywhere the airline flies. You know, that seems pretty fair to me. This wasn't a baby - it was a preschooler who should be able to follow directions such as "sit down in your sit".
Depending on the child it could have taken her another 15-30 minutes to get her "calmed down" if it was that bad. I think the airline made the right choice on this one.

I agree with the airline, that's a safety issue.

I have four kids, all over the age of 3 now, so I know that that can be a difficult age. My kids have thrown some doozies. And, I'm sure the little girl was all out of sorts after being on vacation and off of her schedule and everything. But, at some point, a limit is reached. How long did they expect them to wait while they calmed her down?

Kudos to the airline. :clap: :clap:

Having flown many times in the midst of obnoxious kids, I believe they did the right thing. No telling how long it would have taken to calm the child down. I'm sure the other passengers were most appreciative.

pedinurse said:
They were reimbursed for the trip and given three round trip tickets to anywhere the airline flies. .
I think they got an extremely fair deal.
The couple said they'd never fly AirTran again.
Gonna be kinda hard to use those round trip tickets then, eh? :doh:

I agree with the airline also. I wonder if the planes engine was running during this. Fuel is so expensive.

Sounds fair to me. Now if only they had done that to the kid on my SF - ATL flight a few years back. Sheesh! I was ready to open the emergency exit and push Mom, Dad and Kid out (with parachutes of course.) I just saw something that said for young children it is soooo important to keep them on their regular schedule even during vacation and that is it best to take the red eye back when they are more likely to fall asleep. Attention parents traveling with kids!!!! :)

double and triple kudos!!! i am well aware that having a kid that age is tough, and flying with one is probably tougher. but what so many parents don't seem to get these days is that it's even TOUGHER to be someone else having to listen to your kid scream bloody murder for an hour. this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. if your kid is having a meltdown... that's too bad, but do you really think everyone within 20 miles wants to be subjected to it??? please take your little precious monster OUTSIDE and let people have some peace!!

the other day this happened in a bookstore i went to.. a BOOKSTORE! the stupid woman just stood there trying to coo at her litte brat while he was screeching at the top of his lungs. so i promptly left. i honestly think businesses should have an official policy that screaming children MUST be taken outside... since clueless parents nowadays don't seem to 'get it'.. and must be told (duh).

if the couple in this article say they will never take that airline again,, i say... GOOD! and their little omen-child was even BEATING on them?? for god's sake, i would not let my child have a chance to beat on me. but i guess they are trying to let the child "express her feelings"..... LOL!

Good for the airlines.....

If the parents really wanted to go after the airlines, they should have claimed that the son converted to islam and therefore was singled out.

Cal

the airline did the right thing under the circumstances. i support their actions 100%!

reb said:
double and triple kudos!!! i am well aware that having a kid that age is tough, and flying with one is probably tougher. but what so many parents don't seem to get these days is that it's even TOUGHER to be someone else having to listen to your kid scream bloody murder for an hour. this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. if your kid is having a meltdown... that's too bad, but do you really think everyone within 20 miles wants to be subjected to it??? please take your little precious monster OUTSIDE and let people have some peace!!

the other day this happened in a bookstore i went to.. a BOOKSTORE! the stupid woman just stood there trying to coo at her litte brat while he was screeching at the top of his lungs. so i promptly left. i honestly think businesses should have an official policy that screaming children MUST be taken outside... since clueless parents nowadays don't seem to 'get it'.. and must be told (duh).

if the couple in this article say they will never take that airline again,, i say... GOOD! and their little omen-child was even BEATING on them?? for god's sake, i would not let my child have a chance to beat on me. but i guess they are trying to let the child "express her feelings"..... LOL!
I'm with you. This sounds like an occasion when a good swift swat on the backside could work wonders!

southcitymom said:
I just read this story and it made me giggle. I do feel for the parents - it's tough to fly with children that age.

My youngest son at the age of 3 got a written warning when he was on a flight with us. It was before landing and he had his own seat and he somehow managed to totally dismantle his seatbealt - I mean we handed it to the flight attendant in pieces - unfixable, unuseable. The flight attendant let him sit in my lap for landing, but she wrote up a report and made me sign it. Hilarious!
Sounds like you have a little engineer in the making on your hands!!

I have three kids (all boys to boot). I cringe at the number of parents who have little kids that they are afraid to discipline. The airline probably could have given them another hour and it wouldn't have helped. I think the airline went beyond compensation with what they offered them. Perhaps they can take the refund from their flight and take some parenting lessons.

calus_3 said:
Good for the airlines.....

If the parents really wanted to go after the airlines, they should have claimed that the son converted to islam and therefore was singled out.

Cal
Good one calus-3!:laugh:

I can't imagine a 3 year old refusing to sit down, and her parents not being able to make her sit down. My kids have thrown a tantrum or two, it's normal for kids, but NEVER has it been to the point where I couldn't make them do something that I wanted them to do.

IMO the airline did the right thing. Many passengers may have had connecting flights when they got to this planes destination, was everyone supposed to miss their next flight because their precious bundle of joy wanted to keep having the fit?

I've been on flights with kids who are obnoxious brats and others who are very well behaved, I'm not against kids flying but I am against flying with kids who unfortunatly have parents who have no concept of how to be a parent.

VB

Jeana (DP) said:
"The flight was already delayed 15 minutes and in fairness to the other 112 passengers on the plane, the crew made an operational decision to remove the family," Graham-Weaver said.

I think the airline did the right thing.
I agee!!!! I would be ticked off if I ws delayed because of someone's child!! My children would not be allowed to act like that!

Some parents just should not be parents, period. We lived in an apt and there was a young mother upstairs. We would hear her 3 year old running through the apt and jumping off furniture....at 10 PM. Why was the kid no in bed? It got so bad that we had a mediation with the apt management. The mother had the how dare you attitude then she said, well he's 3 and I can't control him. The mangement lady got this look on her face like WTF?, I looked the 'mother' straight in the eye and said, well if you can't control him at 3 I suggest you get the visiting hours for the local prison because that is where you will be visiting him in about 15 years. The management lady had to stifle a giggle, she cleared her throat and said the mtg was over. After the meeting she told me we could break our lease with no penalty. She also told the mother she would need to see about moving into a ground floor apt.

reb said:

great post!!!....i agree with your entire response!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittinvestigates4u
Back