988 users online (176 members and 812 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Diver in Australia survives head-first shark attack

A diver escaped a 10-foot shark's attack by poking the animal in its eye after it had already chomped on his head once and was preparing for another bite, witnesses and officials said Tuesday.

Eric Nerhus, 41, was flown to a hospital with serious injuries to his head, body and left arm after the attack Tuesday off Cape Howe, about 250 miles south of Sydney.

The shark grabbed Nerhus by the head, crushing his face mask and breaking his nose, said Dennis Luobikis, a fellow diver who witnessed the attack.

"He was actually bitten by the head down — the shark swallowed his head," Luobikis said.

The shark, believed to be a great white, came back for a second bite, clenching its jaws around Nerhus' torso and leaving deep lacerations in his side, said Luobikis.

Nerhus wrestled free of the shark's jaws, and later told rescue workers he had poked the shark in the eye, an unidentified worker from the Snowy Hydro Rescue Helicopter service told local media.

Nerhus was pulled from the water by his 25-year-old son and rushed to a hospital, suffering blood loss and shock.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070123/ap_on_re_au_an/australia_shark_attack&printer=1

Last edited by Dark Knight; 01-23-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    A diver escaped a 10-foot shark's attack by poking the animal in its eye after it had already chomped on his head once and was preparing for another bite, witnesses and officials said Tuesday.

Eric Nerhus, 41, was flown to a hospital with serious injuries to his head, body and left arm after the attack Tuesday off Cape Howe, about 250 miles south of Sydney.

The shark grabbed Nerhus by the head, crushing his face mask and breaking his nose, said Dennis Luobikis, a fellow diver who witnessed the attack.

"He was actually bitten by the head down — the shark swallowed his head," Luobikis said.

The shark, believed to be a great white, came back for a second bite, clenching its jaws around Nerhus' torso and leaving deep lacerations in his side, said Luobikis.

Nerhus wrestled free of the shark's jaws, and later told rescue workers he had poked the shark in the eye, an unidentified worker from the Snowy Hydro Rescue Helicopter service told local media.

Nerhus was pulled from the water by his 25-year-old son and rushed to a hospital, suffering blood loss and shock.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070123/ap_on_re_au_an/australia_shark_attack&printer=1

I can't imagine going head to head with a shark and living to tell the tale. I believe I'd die of a heart attack regardless of what the fish did to me.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

I cant imagine that I would have been together enough to think of poking at the shark's eyes. Thank goodness he is able to survive it, I cant imagine how scary that was for his son too.

[QUOTE=southcitymom]I can't imagine going head to head with a shark and living to tell the tale. I believe I'd die of a heart attack regardless of what the fish did to me.[/QUOTE]

As much as I TRY to be brave and all that jazz, I think I agree with this statement, LOL! It would be absolutely terrifying.

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Much more information can be found at this link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070123/...ralia_shark_dc

He never saw the shark!

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Shark attack

Yikes... that is scary. I'm with southcitymom... if the shark didn't kill me, a heart attack would.

People don't realize how close sharks are to them, when at the beach. Last year I went on a snorkel and diving trip, during one of my photography jaunts to Hawaii... about 40ft below where about 30 snorkelers (sp?) where playing around the anchored boat, the leader of the dive group pointed out a cave... in it was a shark... as well, along the reef, sharks were hanging out. It was highly unnerving and totally put a dent into my plans to spend more time on the reefs of Hawaii doing underwater photography. I simply have no desire to be some creature's lunch.

Glad he made it. Did anyone else do the math? He's 41 and his son is 25?