Special Thread: "Of Michelle, Laci & Janet"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samiya

Jason, you're pathetic
Reaction score
Hey gorgeous people......special thread for those of you who are familiar with Laci Petersen and Janet Abaroa's cases.

This thread is for you to outline and discuss the similarities and similar circumstances between the murders of;

Michelle Young
Laci Petersen
Janet Abaroa

Time and time again I've seen comparisions made and lots of times I've wanted to go back and read, but they get lost (or I do) amongst the thousands of posts.

A special thanks to Tybee for permission to begin this one.

Sami
*advertiser censored*

Thanks Sami dear,

I have to confess that I have never taken the time to even read about Janet's case. This weekend when I have some time I am going to read through that case. Then I'll be able to compare the 3.

Thanks for the thread. We have a date next Sunday! :D

Let me see if I can post a little about Janet and where you can find more information.

This is a quick look at Janet's case for those who aren't familiar and who might not be ready to tackle a whole other forum yet. I have taken parts of posts orginally posted by PrayersForMaura (I hope I'm not breaking any rules doing it this way.) She has done a fantastic job posting all of this and much much more info at this link.

WHO: The victim is Janet Abaroa, 25 years old
WHAT: She was found murdered.
WHEN: Shortly before 11pm on the night of April 26, 2005.
WHERE: In one of the three bedrooms of the home she shared with her son and husband at 2606 Ferrand Drive.
HOW: She was stabbed to death, but the weapon has not been recovered.
WHY: We websleuthers are trying to help determine this.
The other threads in this forum may shed some light and help provide some much needed resolution to this case.

THE WHAT, WHERE, WHEN and HOW:
CRIME SCENE INFO

About the crime / what was reported to have happened:

Family members told reporters that Janet's husband, Raven, went to a soccer game that night and found his wife's body when he got home. As police continue their investigation, they say there are no clues to indicate the 25-year-old's homicide was a random act.

Conflicting reports indicate that officers found Abaroa's body in her home on Ferrand Road at about 11 p.m. April 26 after they were alerted by the woman's co-workers. Reports suggested one of Abaroa's co-workers e-mailed her, and when she failed to respond, she and other co-workers went to check on her.
Also in this report, Abaroa's husband wasn't at the crime scene, and police had no word on his whereabouts as of Wednesday evening, April 27. Police haven't disclosed whether they believe the slaying was the result of a domestic dispute.

WHAT WAS DISCOVERED:
Crime Scene and Investigation Info

Investigators spent nearly 24 hours on the scene, collecting evidence and talking with neighbors. However, police are not talking much at all, saying they don't want to hinder the investigation.

But they did say this:
"Nothing in the investigation so far indicates that the homicide was a random act," Durham Police Department spokeswoman Kammie Michael said in a statement.

In a later story, this was reported:
When the 911 call came in last Tuesday, police thought they were responding to a shooting, saying the victim's husband, Raven Abaroa, called police to "report a gunshot wound."

After officers got to the house on Ferrand Drive, Janet Abaroa's husband, Raven, told them his wife was upstairs hurt.

Authorities found the 25-year-old mother on the bedroom floor with what appeared to be a stab wound in her chest.

Durham Police said 25-year-old Janet Abaroa was found with multiple stab wounds on a bedroom floor inside her home in western Durham, where Abaroa lived with her husband, Raven Abaroa, and their 6-month-old son. Abaroa was pronounced dead at the scene.

Court papers show there were large amounts of blood on the floor, on the wall and near a side door of the home.

Here is the link to the time line.

Here is the link to the Media thread.

Much of Janet's forum has been archived recently and to tell you the truth I don't know how to find the old threads. I'm sure someone who's been around longer than me will come around and clue me in. TIA!

I would also like to invite you to visit
Tears For Janet.com and meet Janet and her family. There has been no news and no media coverage in such a long time I would like to invite you to please think about leaving encouraging words for Janet's wonderful family. I was honored to meet almost every single one of them at the Vigil and they are a courageous and loving family.

There is also a very large gallery of Janet and her family, her friends, her son and the candlelight vigil last year.

I hope this has been helpful and TY for this thread. I look forward to many new eyes taking a look at Janet's case and by doing that showing the family support.

Scandi, I've been reading your posts here for a long time. I hope the above post helps you catch up. Thanks again Sami, mods, everyone.

8.gif

Janet, Laci & Michelle

All three women intelligent, hardworking, pretty

All three - pregnant

All three - no signs of force entry

All three - rumors & proof of affairs

All three - dogs in the home

All three - weapons not found

All three - Parents that deny the fact their child is or could be guilty

All three - Husbands I would deem to be sociopaths please see http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32061

All three - Husbands - deny, deny, deny

All three - Strange or inappropriate behaviors after the murder

All three - Have come up with a previous plan as an alibi as to where they were "at the time of the murder"

All three - IMO premeditated

All three - Life Insurance or rumors about Life Insurance

All three - Family have some sort of $ issue

All three - Search Warrant of Vehicles

All three - Husbands into some sporting activity

All three - Computer/Laptop searched

All three - Husband's retained attorney immediately

All three - Husband's have some sort of weird attachment to their Vehicles

Janet & Michelle - "Crime Lab" backlog

Janet & Michelle - Young child home alone with Mother at the time

All three - Refused Polygraph

All three - Job issues

Jason & Raven - Aggressive in nature at times, but have some say people think they are "such a guy"

All three - Living beyond their means

A post here expresses the attitudes of deceptive of all three men here:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45093

Deceptive

Nervous at first; calms down as interview progresses
Angry; nonspecific; won't calm down
Overly anxious; seems confused
Overly polite
Defensive
Will be quiet; afraid he will say something to get him in trouble
Evasive in answers
Non commital in response
Complains; uncooperative
Guarded about what they tell you
Have to give a reason why they don't cooperate
Defeated; slumps head forward

I am not as familiar with Michelle's Murder as I am with Laci Petersons and Janet Christiansen Abaroa's..

This is just a quick off the top of my head listing, please feel free to point out any inaccuracies as I am not as familiar with Michelle Young's case.

Just a quick addition to the previous post above (which is a great post!!)....

All 3 women were pregnant.

terminatrixator said:
Janet, Laci & Michelle

respectfully snipped for space
Thanks you so much for your fabulous post!

Hugs
Sami
*advertiser censored*

Thanks so much LL&S for your really helpful post. Much appreciated and a perfect start to understanding the case. Just from a quick read the motive seems the same with baby on the way and I didn't see an alibi for the husband. I need to find out why LE didn't think it was a random crime, and so far it seems because they didn't find evidence at the scene of an intruder.

Doh, I had all three pregnant there, and edited.

Please note if you go to Janet's forum you will see i have chronic edit compulsion.

I fixed my original post...i'm sure i will add to it.

terminatrixator said:
Doh, I had all three pregnant there, and edited.

Please note if you go to Janet's forum you will see i have chronic edit compulsion.

I fixed my original post...i'm sure i will add to it.

No prob!! :D

scandi said:
Thanks so much LL&S for your really helpful post. Much appreciated and a perfect start to understanding the case. Just from a quick read the motive seems the same with baby on the way and I didn't see an alibi for the husband. I need to find out why LE didn't think it was a random crime, and so far it seems because they didn't find evidence at the scene of an intruder.
My pleasure!

Raven took off to a "pick up" soccer game, which has never been confirmed by anyone, and came home to "find" his wife. I have posted over various Durham NC forums asking if ANYONE could tell me about this "pick up game" he says he went to. I've never had anyone come back and say, yea I was there or I saw this game or they have these kind of soccer games all the time around here or something. I have not found one other person who can tell me about this "pick up" game. I would love to know if LE ever found anyone that was at this game.

Some of the details I've forgotten.... Trix are you out there honey, can you help me out? Wasn't it reported that The Rav stopped for a sport drink or something on the way home from the game? and if so, do we know where and if a security video was ever found showing him buying said drink? maybe a receipt, or empty bottle? Did The Rav ever say what park he went to to join this soccer game? TIA!

The WRAL article references that Raven left Ferrand "around 830pm" to go play indoor soccer in Morrisville. (Morrisville is a small town, SE of Durham, near the airport, and before Cary and ultimately Raleigh.)

Morrisville, the Carolina Sportsplex:

http://www.carolinasportsplex.com/

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...C&2z=27560-8847

As far as stopping for a drink before or after game, I don't remember that as fact, just rumor, I have not gone through all the threads yet, but when I get time I will look and see if someone posted it as fact or as rumor when I get time.

All three couples had college educations.

The wives all seemed to have more outgoing personalities than their husband.

The husbands seemed to have secrets, (more than 'other women,') from their wives.

The wives appeared more in tune with their present circumstance, ie expecting a child, financial, etc.

The husband's employment was sketchy or unstable.

The husbands seemed to have 'control' issues.

Each husband had 'computer contacts' their wife wasn't aware of.

All three husbands withdrew from the wife's family.

IMHO, the main thing that connects these three cases is that the wife was pregnant. But if you step back and look at several other cases that have appeared in Websleuths, you would see that less the pregnancy, these cases have many things in common with a number of cases.

Secrets, infedelity, control, $$ (in that the spouse is better off with the wife dead than a divorce). There are other cases where many of the same components existed but with an additional wrinkle and that is the wife found out about the 'secrets' or had just grown weary of the 'control,' and wanted out and was in the process of contacting or had already contacted a divorce attorney.

So, to me, the biggest connection to the cases is 'control.' When these guys feel they're losing 'control,' they panic and react.

JMHO
fran

Yikes I was posting as you did Fran, we have a few of the same things listed (college) (Jobs)

Janet was not as outgoing as Raven, she was actually shy, until you got to know her as stated by her friends on the tearsforjanet.com site.

Raven was very outgoing.

I am going to update the post above to add the parts I missed. I did not add the sketchy information on the jobs, with the sales jobs beecause I am not as familiar with Jason as I am with Raven & Scott

I will also add all three husbands were controlling. Raven was extremely controlling, Scott was controlling in less obvious ways and again, I'm sorry I am not as up to speed with Jason as I am with the other two.

I do have some questions that I do not know - re: moving etc. and Mother's that is in my above post that maybe someone can answer for me.

<I deleted my post after Fran's and reposted it below to add her comments>

Terminatrixator, those are some great questions (sorry I don't have any answers :doh: )! I hope someone does though. It would be interesting to see if there is a pattern of upbringing and these guys murdering their pregnant wives. (Yes, I do believe Raven and Jason are as guilty as good ol Scott.)

All three women intelligent, hardworking, pretty

All three - pregnant

All three - no signs of force entry

All three - rumors & proof of affairs

All three - dogs in the home

All three - weapons not found

All three - Parents that deny the fact their child is or could be guilty

All three - Husbands I would deem to be sociopaths please see http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32061

All three - Husbands - deny, deny, deny

All three - Strange or inappropriate behaviors after the murder

All three - Have come up with a previous plan as an alibi as to where they were "at the time of the murder"

All three - IMO premeditated

All three - Life Insurance or rumors about Life Insurance

All three - Family have some sort of $ issue

All three - Search Warrant of Vehicles

All three - Husbands into some sporting activity

All three - Computer/Laptop searched

All three - Husband's retained attorney immediately

All three - Husband's have some sort of weird attachment to their Vehicles

Janet & Michelle - "Crime Lab" backlog

Janet & Michelle - Young child home alone with Mother at the time

All three - Husbands refused Polygraph

All three - Husband's job issues (Husband's job work history sketchy or unstable)

Jason & Raven - Aggressive in nature at times, but have some say people think they are "such a guy"

All three - Living beyond their means

--
recently added

All three - Husbands & Wives - College background

All three - Husbands worked in Sales

All three - Husband's jobs are fairly new

All three women - In college were into sports (ie cheerleading, soccer)

All three husbands - Kept secrets (more than 'other women,') from their wives. Raven, embezzlement, Scott "the Boat", Jason "the Gift" etc.

The wives appeared more in tune with their present circumstance, ie expecting a child, financial, etc.

All three - Husbands seemed to have 'control' issues.

Each husband had 'computer contacts' their wife wasn't aware of.

All three husbands withdrew from the wife's family.

===
Questions:

Laci & Scott had moved around
Janet & Raven had moved around a bit
Did Michelle & Jason?

Scott & Raven have (step siblings)
Did Jason?

What do we know about the Mother of Jason?......I find a connection between the strange attitude of Karyn (Raven's Mother) & Jackie (Scott's Mother)....

Is there a pattern between upbringing and these men that end up having their pregnant wive's murdered.

You can also add Lori Hacking to this list, and see the pattern also.

There is a a bit of a difference with Mark Hacking. He had a stable family which I think helped him to come to terms with what he had done, this is not something I see in the Petersons or in Raven's family. Again, I don't know much about Jason Youngs family, so I cannot comment about that.

Just found where it states Jason's father passed when he was 10 and the Mother remarried.

All three husbands - Stayed with Sisters after the murder (Jason with Sister, Scott with Step-Sister, Raven with Sister-in-Law.

terminatrixator said:
Yikes I was posting as you did Fran, we have a few of the same things listed (college) (Jobs)

Janet was not as outgoing as Raven, she was actually shy, until you got to know her as stated by her friends on the tearsforjanet.com site.

Raven was very outgoing.

I am going to update the post above to add the parts I missed. I did not add the sketchy information on the jobs, with the sales jobs beecause I am not as familiar with Jason as I am with Raven & Scott

I will also add all three husbands were controlling. Raven was extremely controlling, Scott was controlling in less obvious ways and again, I'm sorry I am not as up to speed with Jason as I am with the other two.

I do have some questions that I do not know - re: moving etc. and Mother's that is in my above post that maybe someone can answer for me.

<I deleted my post after Fran's and reposted it below to add her comments>

The fact that Jason lawyered up immediately, has never talked to LE, other than when they were confiscating his car, cut off all communications with Michelle's family immediately, NEVER has given any comment to news media, hasn't responded to LE's repeated attempts to interview him, even with his attorney present................control, IMHO.

Jason's job was new, just three months.

JMHO
fran

PS......I had said that about the outgoing part, including Janet, as that's how her friends described her. Although Raven was outgoing, Janet was when she wanted to be...........uhmmmm, perhaps when she wasn't around controlling Raven.......fran

terminatrixator said:
You can also add Lori Hacking to this list, and see the pattern also.

There is a a bit of a difference with Mark Hacking. He had a stable family which I think helped him to come to terms with what he had done, this is not something I see in the Petersons or in Raven's family. Again, I don't know much about Jason Youngs family, so I cannot comment about that.

Personally, I think each of these guys felt threatened by the 'intelligence' and success of their wife. Laci graduated before SP, although he was older. Janet had a job, Raven did not. Michelle was very successful in her career and Jason had just started his new 'sales' job. Lori Hacking had a successful carreer in the financial industry, had graduated from college, and Mark was lying about even going to school.

Oh,.............all three, FOUR, husbands, had a trouble with telling the TRUTH!

JMHO
fran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members