IN IN - Spencer, BlkFem 395UFIN, 25-45, medallion 'Corline S likes Steve P', Oct'03

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/395ufin.html

395UFIN.jpg

Unidentified Black Female

• The victim was discovered on October 14, 2003 in Spencer, Owen County, Indiana
  • Estimated Date of Death: 1 ½ - 3 years prior to discovery.
  • Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 25 - 40 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"
  • Marks, scars: She may have previously suffered a broken nose, that healed crooked.
  • Dentals: Not available
  • Jewelry: Medallion with names, Corline S. loves Steve P., and an American flag in the center of the pendant.
  • DNA: Available
395UFIN3.jpg

Victim's Medallion

Case History
On October 12, 2003 skeletal remains were discovered in a wooded ravine off Franklin Road, near Spencer in rural Owen County, IN. The bones were found by a man who was preparing to build a home on the site. Spencer is about 40 miles southwest of Indianapolis.

I emailed an expert in medals to see if he could help identify the source of the medal or if he knows someone who can. I will update as I hear from him. If, I hear from him.

It could very well be. Thanks for that suggestion. I emailed an amusement park collector of pressed pennies to see if they knew someone that collects or makes such coins.

there are extraordinarily few African Americans who live in Owen County, IN and there are no major interstates that run through the area.

I can only surmise she was dumped there by her killer who drove on some of the other highways.

I wonder about the previous owner of the property where she was found -- it sounds like the kind of dump where the killer goes to someplace he's connected to and familiar with.

Can someone enlarge the image of the medallion?

I think the actual term for this is a "love token." They seem to have been in vogue in the late 1700's and throughout the 1800's. However this certainly looks newer than that. The ones from the 1800's were quite ornate, with calligraphy and often flourishes and details. The tokens were often made from coins. I would love to see what the back of this token looks like. I am wondering if this particular love token was made from a rail line or transit line fare token. The fair tokens were not solid and often had cutouts, kind of similar to how this one does. Also, besides the two names and the word "love" there also seems to be the word "Lines" which was a common word to find on those tokens. The writing seems to be more similar to the writing on old fare tokens than on the traditional love tokens.

I think perhaps next, I'd like to try and date when fare tokens started being widely used and see if I can find any old fare tokens that have a similar looking stamp in the middle. Also, I'd like to see what the back of this token looks like - if it is just flat or if there are any markings. I will try and work on this, but if anyone wants to help that would be great!

I got an identical token in the 1980s at Kennywood Park near Pittsburgh. You can still get them, they are aluminum so they stamp easily. I remember the machine making a loud "ka-BONK" as it made each letter that you selected.

I am willing to bet it is not very old. As I recall the back looks like the front. I am also willing to bet that she was Corline S.

The name Corline is not that common. It seems that she shouldn't be too hard to find.

Looking in Ancestry, the only Corline in Indiana who fits the approximate age parameters is a Corline C. (Born in 1964) from Gary IN.

I too have looked at Corlines on Ancestry. I also thought it could be something her dad gave her mom once.

The name Corline is not that common. It seems that she shouldn't be too hard to find.

Looking in Ancestry, the only Corline in Indiana who fits the approximate age parameters is a Corline C. (Born in 1964) from Gary IN.

What about alternate spellings -- Coraline, Corleen?

There are very few black people in that part of the state and it is known for it's strip mines and fishing pits. She could have came from any where and been dropped there. I would check Illinois and Ohio too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back