IN IN - Martinsville, WhtMale 517UMIN, sign 'Stranded Hungry God Bless', Sep'98

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/517umin.html

Unidentified White Male

• The victim was discovered on September 13, 1998 in northeast Morgan County, Indiana.
  • Estimated Date of Death: 3 - 5 weeks prior to discovery
  • Badly decomposed
  • Death cause: Blow to the head

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: Possibly in his 30's
  • Approximate Height and Weight: Close to 6'0"; 170 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown shoulder-length hair with a reddish cast. He was bearded. His right shoulder had undergone surgery and was wired together.
  • Clothing: He was wearing a black biker/USA T-shirt with wings, an eagle and a flag on it and elastic-band shorts. He also had a Jemis watch and a sign that read "stranded hungry God Bless" with a smiley face.
517UMIN1.jpg

T-Shirt and Watch

Case History
Area people believe they saw this man, with the sign in question at several highway locations around the Indianapolis area, including spots on State Road 37 around Martinsville.
On September 13, 1998, a hunter discovered the badly decomposed body in a cornfield on Maple Grove Road in northeast Morgan County.
He had been killed by a blow to the head. Since a watch was left on the body, officers do not believe robbery was the motive.
He was buried on or about October 2, 1998, in Nutter Cemetery under the name "John Doe". According to the Sheriff, parts necessary for a possible reconstruction were kept.

in 1998 "parts necessary for a possible reconstruction were kept".

Nice that they thought ahead but it's been 13 years. are they going to get around to it? he's not in Namus either.

Since the sign says that he was stranded it makes me think that he was far from home. I did some searching on Jemis watches and could not find a website. The information I did find was that it was a joint venture of Seiko Epson Group. These were made in Japan and a further search showed many websites in Russian (or at least Cyrillic based characters). I would presume if people had talked to this man, they would have remembered him having an accent, so it makes me think he was was far from home, since his sign mentioned he was stranded, but possibly a US citizen. I found a missing man from Alaska and a watch is mentioned. The height is off by a couple of inches, but he is pictured with facial hair and that could have eventually turned into a beard after he went missing if he was unable to shave.

Steven Lee Harbaugh
Missing since May 18, 1998 from Nenana, Alaska
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 15, 1962
Age at Time of Disappearance: 35 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 165 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
Jewelry: Watch

Circumstances of Disappearance
Steven Harbaugh’s last known address was near Mile 298 Parks Highway, Nenana, Alaska.
Family members have not had contact with Steven Lee Harbaugh since May 11, 1998.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Alaska State Troopers
Trooper Brian Wassmann
907-269-5738

Agency Case Number: 99-56909

NCIC Number: M-410097005
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3271dmak.html

Charles Robinson Davies III

davies_charles.jpg
davies_charles2.jpg
davies_charles3.jpg

Missing Since: April 19, 1993 from Atlantic Beach, Florida
Classification: Missing
Date Of Birth: April 19, 1969
Height and Weight: 5'11, 200 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Davies may use the alias Trip Hunter. He wears contact lenses or wire-framed eyeglasses. Davies has a scar on his right index finger, a vaccination scar on his left shoulder, shingles scars on his back and chest, and possible two circular scars on his right shoulderblade. His right shoulder has a previous rotator cup injury and one of his knees frequently swells up due to fluid accumulation. Davies is missing a left eyetooth and has had nasal polyps removed.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A black sports watch on his left wrist.

Details of Disappearance
Davies was last seen in the vicinity of the 1000 block of Atlantic Boulevard in Atlantic Beach, Florida on April 19, 1990, his twenty-fourth birthday. He has never been heard from again. In April 1994, a year after Davies vanished, his black 1992 Jeep Cherokee was found at an airport parking garage in the vicinity of the 2200 block of east Imperial Highway in El Segundo, California.
El Segundo police are investigating Davies's case; some agencies state that he disappeared from there. Some agencies give the date of his disappearance as April 19, 1990.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/davies_charles.html

I wish they said how much beard he had and how long he had been seen in the Indianapolis area. There's a mentally ill homeless man from Connecticut who went missing shortly before this man was found who's similar enough to the description that I wanted to bring him up for discussion.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/4365dmct.html

Steven Raymond was last seen July 28, 1998 in New Britain; his sleeping bag and other possessions were found at his sleep site. The UID is estimated to have died 3-5 weeks before he was found on Sept. 13, which would be mid to late August.

Raymond older than the estimate at 47 but the other stats are in range if not quite spot on (and some inconsistency in the reports). He was clean-shaven at the time, so only had those few weeks to grow a beard, and he would have been in the Indianapolis area for at most a month or month and a half. He was also somewhat balding, which wasn't mentioned for the UID.

He had had recent shoulder surgery. Says it's on the right. UID's is on left. I mistrust right and left in descriptions.

Nothing different in any of the other sites:
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/3302/57
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/raymond_steven.html
http://www.nampn.org/cases/raymond_steven.html

There's an article or two that I'm trying to track down but so far I've only found them in paid archives.

Carbuff I think Stephen Raymond is a GREAT possibility. I'd submit him if I were you.

Something that irks me to no end is the sign: it said "stranded"..like he might have had a car or some other form of transportation and it didn't work out. It has a more "emotional" meaning to me than if he were just hitching a ride somewhere. IE "I can't believe Joe would just leave me, stranded here." There's no need to write a sign if you're underweight and looking for a ride..you stick out your thumb and hope for the best...

If he were "stranded" it was by someone he knew. On a road trip together. perhaps? Someone took him and dumped him in that spot, and then came back to fight with him.
JMHO

Carbuff I think Stephen Raymond is a GREAT possibility. I'd submit him if I were you.

Something that irks me to no end is the sign: it said "stranded"..like he might have had a car or some other form of transportation and it didn't work out. It has a more "emotional" meaning to me than if he were just hitching a ride somewhere. IE "I can't believe Joe would just leave me, stranded here." There's no need to write a sign if you're underweight and looking for a ride..you stick out your thumb and hope for the best...

If he were "stranded" it was by someone he knew. On a road trip together. perhaps? Someone took him and dumped him in that spot, and then came back to fight with him.
JMHO

It's a term that people often use when they're traveling and they run into some kind of problem that keeps them from going home. Like the family who had their passport scribbled on was stranded. So yeah, maybe a friend left him, or he lost his return ticket, or something.

UP#14700

DEMOGRAPHICS
Race: Caucasian
Sex: Male
Height: Est. 72 inches (6’0)
Weight: Est. 170 pounds
Postmortem Interval: One month
Body conditions: Not recognizable - decomposition/putrefaction

CIRCUMSTANCES
Date: September 13, 1998
Location: Maple Grove Road, Martinsville, Morgan County, IN 46151
On September 13, 1998, a hunter discovered the badly decomposed body in a cornfield on Maple Grove Road in northeast Morgan County. He had been killed by a blow to the head. Since a watch was left on the body, officers do not believe robbery was the motive. Area people believe they saw this man with his "stranded hungry God Bless" sign at several highway locations around the Indianapolis area, including spots on State Road 37 around Martinsville.

PHYSICAL
Hair: Reddish-brown, shoulder-length hair
Surgical wire in right shoulder

CLOTHING/ACCESSORIES
Black biker T-shirt with an eagle and a flag. Elastic band shorts.
Also had a Jemis watch and a sign that said “stranded hungry God Bless” with a smiley face on it.

IDENTIFIERS
Dentals: Unavailable
DNA: Unavailable
Fingerprints: Unavailable

I would have thought they'd be able to get enough from the interior of the teeth, which being sealed from the outside elements tend to preserve the pulp quite well. If nothing else they could at least do the tooth isotopes. His shoulder length hair should also contain a history of his travels in those isotopes.

From the NAMUS link:
Since a watch was left on the body, officers do not believe robbery was the motive.

I looked up 'Jemis watch' and it came up with cheap $10-$20 watches. Assuming Jemis made watches in the same price range in 1998, I'm not sure a robber would bother with it. What would it get at a pawn shop? $5 at the very most?

UNIDENTIFIED WHITE MALE
upload_2020-4-3_15-45-12.jpeg
Date of Discovery: September 13, 1998
Location of Discovery: Martinsville, Morgan County, Indiana
Estimated Date of Death: 3-5 weeks prior
State of Remains: Decomposed
Cause of Death: Homicide by beating
Estimated Age: 28-38 years old
Height: 5'11" to 6'0"
Weight: 170 lbs.
Hair: Reddish brown, shoulder length. Wore a beard.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Surgical "wire" repair on right shoulder.

Clothing: Black biker/USA T-shirt with wings, an eagle and a flag on it and elastic-band shorts.
Jewelry: Jemis watch.
Additional Personal Items: A sign reading "STRANDED HUNGRY GOD BLESS" with a smiley face.

0 Missing Person Exclusions

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
I can't rule out these three but I have no idea why they'd be in Indiana.
Interesting and unfortunate update on Timothy... Timothy Jason Smart – The Charley Project
In July 2019, Bryan Lee O'Daniels, Smart's former roommate, was charged with murder in Smart's case. In September, the police found Smart's remains buried in the woods off West Boiling Spring Road. O'Daniels is awaiting trial for the homicide.
ETA: wonder why he’s still in NamUs?? ... and Doe Network

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member