Does anyone recall this case?

WholeLottaRosie

Dancing on a moonbeam!
Reaction score
There was a woman who was abducted by her father and then found as an adult many years later (she was abducted as a little girl). She was found, I want to say, around Mothers Day last Spring, but, I have searched and can't find anything about this. I was trying to find the thread and also followup as I have always wondered if they ever released a picture of the woman today to compare to the aged progressed. Thanks for any help.

I think I know what case you are referring to, but I can't remember any of the key figures names. I'll see in I can pull something up in a search for you.

This one, the father was actually in prison in Arizona, and I think was due to be released. I THINK the mother lived in Michigan, maybe, or Minnesota???? I have been thinking about this for a couple days. After seeing the age progression of Shawn Hornbeck, and the real Shawn, I got to wondering about this case. And I can't recall how the woman was found, if someone recognized her, or if it was via the father.

See, now I know that I remember the case, because I knew that Arizona figured prominently in there somewhere, so I figured Rebecca Braun because she was abducted from Arizona. I do remember the Michigan aspect of it, too.

I hate when things are on the tip of my tongue, but that's are far as it gets.
:confused:

I havent heard about that case..I wonder about certain cases also like years ago in Radcliff Kentucky a little girl was murdered by her step mom and father and the father was in the Army stationed there they found her in a black trash bag?? I keep wondering whatever happened to the parents....anyway good luck in your search!

And I must just be having major pre-senior moments cause I can't recall the names on this one either. This one, I am pretty sure the young woman (maybe a college student) disappeared from Texas and years later they found her working and living under her own name in Kentucky or Tennessee and she knew her parents were looking and was ticked to be found. Her parents apparently actively searched and were going to have her declared dead, I think, when she was found. Anyone remember that one?

Brandi Stahr

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/media/articles/story5.html

http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/media/articles/story3.html

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/Prevfindme/prev102802/Stahr_Brandi.htm

Medusa said:
And I must just be having major pre-senior moments cause I can't recall the names on this one either. This one, I am pretty sure the young woman (maybe a college student) disappeared from Texas and years later they found her working and living under her own name in Kentucky or Tennessee and she knew her parents were looking and was ticked to be found. Her parents apparently actively searched and were going to have her declared dead, I think, when she was found. Anyone remember that one?

Thanks, RoughlyCollie! That is the second one! I wonder how things have gone with them? If I find anything online I will post it.

ETA - to correct name misspelling.

Medusa said:
There was a woman who was abducted by her father and then found as an adult many years later (she was abducted as a little girl). She was found, I want to say, around Mothers Day last Spring, but, I have searched and can't find anything about this. I was trying to find the thread and also followup as I have always wondered if they ever released a picture of the woman today to compare to the aged progressed. Thanks for any help.
That would be the Genevieve Nielsen case. She was abducted by her father in 1976 and found in May 2006. http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved/resolved20.html scroll down till you see her name. I never saw any current photos of her though. Perhaps they weren't released, to protect her privacy. It must have been a nasty shock for her to find out the truth after all those years.

meggilyweggily said:
That would be the Genevieve Nielsen case. She was abducted by her father in 1976 and found in May 2006. http://www.charleyproject.org/resolved/resolved20.html scroll down till you see her name. I never saw any current photos of her though. Perhaps they weren't released, to protect her privacy. It must have been a nasty shock for her to find out the truth after all those years.
Thanks, that is the one. I understand her privacy, I just wondered on the age progression. Knowing how close those are would be helpful, IMO, for viewing others.

I've never been able to find much on this case either, however, I remember reading (news magazine) that she does not want to have any contact with her mother. The mother was naturally upset but was hopeful Genevieve will change her mind. I forgot how they found her, maybe a tip that led them to her dad in prison? I don't think they wanted to release a current photo of her due to privacy reasons but I also want to say I think a news show maybe did once. Anyway, sorry, can't remember when I read the article but I'm thinking it was a few months after she had been found. They said Genevieve was (of course) devastated her life had been turned upside down by learning the truth and that her mother was alive (she had been told she had died). I thought that has to be the saddest thing...all these years (30) she has been missing and then the mother's joy at her being located only to have her hopes dashed for a relationship.

How sad that she did not want anything to do with her mother. You would think that she would blame her father and want to reunite with the mother that searched for her for 30 years. Maybe she thought her mother didn't search hard enough or maybe she felt guilty that her mother spent so many years looking for her.

I agree, one would think she would want to get to know her mother again, or at the very least stay in contact with her. Maybe once the dust settles she will reconsider. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to find out your whole life was based on lies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back