GUILTY MS - Henry Dee & Charles Moore, both 19, murdered, Meadville, 2 May 1964

I remember reading about the 3 civil rights workers who were murdered in 1964, but had never heard of this case. It is impossible for me to get a grip on how anyone could hate someone so much for no other reason than skin color. I hope this case is pursued and the perpetrators, no matter how old or decrepit they are now, die in prison.

Opie said:
I remember reading about the 3 civil rights workers who were murdered in 1964, but had never heard of this case. It is impossible for me to get a grip on how anyone could hate someone so much for no other reason than skin color. I hope this case is pursued and the perpetrators, no matter how old or decrepit they are now, die in prison.
Thank you Opie for your post.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

This was 160 miles from Philadelphia, Ms. but the hatred was rampart. I, too, hope it is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I am a southerner always have been but not akin to this thinking and would never condone it.

I remember it though.

WASHINGTON -- An infamous moment in the struggle for black civil rights in the South has returned to the headlines after a former Mississippi sheriff's deputy was arrested on Wednesday in connection with a cold case that's more than four decades old.

James Ford Seale has been charged in the 1964 slayings of two black teenagers who were long believed to have been kidnapped and killed by the Ku Klux Klan.

http://www.wftv.com/news/10838335/detail.html

Thank you for the links Dark Shadows.Its so sad it has taken so many years for an arrest in this case.Thank goodness the family will finally have some justice for their sons.

Alta said:
Thank you for the links Dark Shadows.Its so sad it has taken so many years for an arrest in this case.Thank goodness the family will finally have some justice for their sons.
Hello Alta,:)
Thank-you for your post. It is much appreciated.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

GlitchWizard said:
This happened a lifetime ago - before I was born! I wonder if he did anything wrong in the 40 + years since then.

Yes, he did---he lived, freely experiencing the joys and happiness that life provides, while his teenaged victims lay six feet under without the ability to feel anything.

There's no statute of limitations on murder. Put yourself in the familys position---does the passage of time negate the crime in any way?

He should pay the price---I don't care if he has lived a model life for the last 40 years. There is some bad things that faux goodness just can't erase. He may have made some changes in his life, but he is still the same core person today as he was 4 decades ago. Lock him up & throw away the key!!!!

julianne said:
...He should pay the price---I don't care if he has lived a model life for the last 40 years. There is some bad things that faux goodness just can't erase. He may have made some changes in his life, but he is still the same core person today as he was 4 decades ago. Lock him up & throw away the key!!!!
These probably weren't the only kids that he murdered. It's really pathetic when people have to fear the law as well as the KKK and other prejudiced people living in their area. Can you imagine?

My ex-husband and I lived in Meridian, MS, in the 1980's, when he was in the military. We attended a party at a clubhouse in a residential neighborhood. There was a nice, black pilot who also attended the party as he was a member of the squadron.

During the course of the party, at least two white men approached the hosts of the party and told them that if they did not make the black guy leave the clubhouse immediately that he would end up dead in the lake there. I couldn't believe it! The guy was gracious and said not to worry about it and that he would leave. My husband and I were indignant; and we left, too. How scary and pathetic!

Also, in the 1980's, the gas stations regularly had "Out of Order" signs on their restrooms. They did not want black people to use the restrooms but would let the white people use them. I know this for a fact because I was told so by a worker at one of these places when I remarked that so many places had restrooms which were not working!

I don't know how it is now and have often wondered how much it has changed--or not...

nanandjim said:
These probably weren't the only kids that he murdered. It's really pathetic when people have to fear the law as well as the KKK and other prejudiced people living in their area. Can you imagine?

My ex-husband and I lived in Meridian, MS, in the 1980's, when he was in the military. We attended a party at a clubhouse in a residential neighborhood. There was a nice, black pilot who also attended the party as he was a member of the squadron.

During the course of the party, at least, two white men approached the hosts of the party and told them that if they did not make the black guy leave the Clubhouse immediately that he would end up dead in the lake there. I couldn't believe it! The guy was gracious and said not to worry about it and that he would leave. My husband and I were indignant; and we left, too. How scary and pathetic!

Also, in the 1980's, the gas stations regularly had "Out of Order" signs on their restrooms. They did not want black people to use the restrooms but would like the white people use them. I know this for a fact because I was told so by a worker at one of these places.

I don't know how it is now and have often wondered how much it has changed--or not...

Yes, it has changed and not likely you would ever see anything like that again. All of this info that comes out prevents it from ever rolling back into a sesspool of prejudice and injustice.

BTW, as a kid growing up in Louisiana there were two water fountains..one for whites and one for blacks. I am not kidding.

concernedperson said:
...as a kid growing up in Louisiana there were two water fountains..one for whites and one for blacks. I am not kidding.
If I recall, I think that Mississippi had these, too. :rolleyes:

I am with you samhoney. I hope this gives other families hope and I hope this makes some of those bastards from 40 years ago give more looks over their shoulders. It's never too late for that knock on the door......

From August 2007:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/us/25klan.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&

Calling the crime “unspeakable because only monsters could inflict this,” a federal judge on Friday sentenced a former member of the Ku Klux Klan to three life terms in prison for his role in the 1964 kidnapping and murder of two black teenagers in Mississippi...

The victims, Henry H. Dee and Charles E. Moore, both 19, were hitchhiking in Meadville, Miss., when a group of Klansmen, including James Seale, picked them up and took them to a wooded area, where they were beaten and their weighted bodies thrown into the Mississippi River. Both young men drowned.

Their bodies were not recovered until later that year in a high-profile search for three civil rights activists whose deaths generated widespread revulsion against the racial violence in Mississippi.

Seale died in prison in 2011.

Really good feature article on the murders here:

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2005/jul/20/i-want-justice-too/

"This is where we always hitchhiked from,"says Thomas, now a hulking, muscular man of 62... We are standing across Main from Napa Auto Supply, in front of the old Dillon's service station. Thomas says that, in those days, hitchhiking wasn't considered scary; they had to do it to get around...

Mazie passed the hitching spot in front of Dillon's gas station... and saw Charles trying to thumb. He was there with fellow Lillie Bryant alum Henry Dee, a dapper 19-year-old with a James-Brown-esque conk, who had moved to Chicago and was back home visiting.

Mazie had gotten a ride to the doctor and figured she would pick them up when she came back by there. That Saturday was the last time Mazie saw her boy alive...

Someone Knows Something[:B]
with David Ridgen
CBC Radio

Season 3: Dee & Moore

‘In 1964, the remains of Charles Moore and Henry Dee were found in the Mississippi River. But no one was convicted. 40 years later, Charles's brother Thomas returns to Mississippi with David Ridgen to reopen the case and confront the Klan.’

Listen at:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks/season3/listen-to-season-3-dee-moore-1.4360239

Related:

PEOPLE: Who's who in the Dee & Moore case

‘Meet friends and family of Charles Moore and Henry Dee, read more about the key investigators on the case, and get to know more about the Klansmen involved.’

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks/season3/who-s-who-in-the-dee-moore-case-1.4360206

VIDEO: Watch key moments from Dee & Moore

‘View excerpts of David Ridgen's 2007 documentary "Mississippi Cold Case" and other videos mentioned in Season 3.’

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks/season3/watch-key-moments-from-dee-moore-1.4360198

PHOTOS: See the people and places in Dee & Moore

‘See pictures of Thomas Moore in Vietnam, James Seale and Charles Edwards when they were arrested in 1964, and other photos associated with the case.’

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks/season3/see-the-people-and-places-in-dee-moore-1.4360222

TIMELINE: How the Dee & Moore case unfolded

‘This interactive timeline chronicles the events surrounding the case of Dee & Moore.’

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks/season3/how-the-dee-moore-case-unfolded-1.4360196

MAP: Places of interest in the Dee & Moore case

‘Explore all of the locations relevant to the Dee & Moore investigation.’

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks/season3/places-of-interest-in-the-dee-moore-case-1.4360170

DOCUMENTS: Archival materials related to Dee & Moore

‘Gwin Cole’s affidavit, James Seale’s partial confession and the redacted FBI document given to Charles Edwards.’

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/sks/season3/archival-materials-related-to-dee-moore-1.4360215

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back