4 yr old dies in driveway accident

Poor little girl! I feel for the babysitter, too-this has been a fear of mine for years- that I will back over a child I can't see behind me. (One of my big pet peeves is when parents don't walk with their kids in parking lots)

My nephews car has a camera in the llicense plate. When he backs up it shows a display of what is behind him. What a great thing.
This always breaks my heart. These poor little ones probably just following blindly.
Bless all of their hearts. The Bye Bye Syndrome is a tough one to deal with.

That is truly an awful accident,so sad for all involved.

A while back car maufacturers were thinking of putting a beeping sensor on all new cars,when they backed up and there was any obstruction,the sensor would pick it up,and loud beeping would occur,just like on some garbage trucks.It sounded like such a good and sensible idea,too bad the idea was quickly dropped.

capps said:
That is truly an awful accident,so sad for all involved.

A while back car maufacturers were thinking of putting a beeping sensor on all new cars,when they backed up and there was any obstruction,the sensor would pick it up,and loud beeping would occur,just like on some garbage trucks.It sounded like such a good and sensible idea,too bad the idea was quickly dropped.
But you can get that installed on your license plate. My DH has it. I don't think it was a very expensive either. It is run through the plate and when he gets close to sopmething it beeps. It has been a life saver many times. I'll see if I can find a link.

JBean said:
But you can get that installed on your license plate. My DH has it. I don't think it was a very expensive either. It is run through the plate and when he gets close to sopmething it beeps. It has been a life saver many times. I'll see if I can find a link.
My minivan (It's a Chrysler Town and Country) had this option so we took it! It is sensors in the bumper and when you get within a certain distance, a series of beeps start, the closer you get the faster the beeps.
This is SO sad, I think there was an episode of Grey's Anatomy about this just a few months back.

Thanks JBean,I didn't realize the tool was out there. It's a good thing,and should be on all cars. Maybe one day ...

capps said:
Thanks JBean,I didn't realize the tool was out there. It's a good thing,and should be on all cars. Maybe one day ...
Sure Capps.
here is more information on the Bye Bye Syndrome as this type of accident is called:

'The bye-bye syndrome'

She said 60% of the children who die from being run over are hit by a parent or close relative.

"We call it the 'bye-bye syndrome,' " she said. "The parent leaves, believing the child is safely in the home, but the little one has snuck out to say goodbye or just doesn't want to be left behind.

"These parents are not bad parents. They never thought to look for a child they thought was safe."

Fennell has two children, ages 4 and 8. And there is an ironclad rule at her home: If Mom gets in the car, everyone has to sit down on the front step of their home.

"I want to be able to see every single one of them," she said. "I head toward the car, my kids, the neighbor kids, they all head to the step and sit down."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=126492

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/07/21/earlyshow/living/ConsumerWatch/main630818.shtml

The Campbells had no idea just how many other children were dying the exact same way. Safety experts say at least one child is killed every week in this country in a back-over accident. It's know as the "bye-bye syndrome." Children run outside to wave goodbye to their parents. Their parents never see them coming
snip

Safety experts say the most effective device to prevent these accidents is a rear-mounted camera that will let you see exactly what's behind you when you're backing up. But only a handful of car makers offer these on their vehicles.

Mama-cita said:
My minivan (It's a Chrysler Town and Country) had this option so we took it! It is sensors in the bumper and when you get within a certain distance, a series of beeps start, the closer you get the faster the beeps.
This is SO sad, I think there was an episode of Grey's Anatomy about this just a few months back.
My Dad's Lincoln Aviator SUV has one too so they're starting to become more common...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back