Extreme Home Edition in South Carolina today

Sundayrain

Life's a dance, you learn as you go*
Reaction score
On Thursday Ty Pennington arrived at the doorstep of Renee Wilson in South Carolina......Mrs Wilson a grandmother who cares for her three grandchildren, was nominated by the North Myrtle beach School teachers.
Today I drove the 30 miles to see what was happening. In the background you could hear the hooting and hollars of hundreds of people.( work crew).....
As we came upon the local police, we asked if " it was them, or did they have a football game going in their police car?"....the police giggled and said " No, its them".....Wow, there was surely a celebration going on.
It was such a tearfilled experience to see the demolition ........to watch the big shovel slam down and tear the well worn home into fibers and shreads......Many of the crew stopped by us to tell us their jobs and the time they would be due back.....their proudness beaming from their faces.
Mrs Wilsons old home had barely running water. She had a lamp hanging upside down in the shed to see while washing clothes. Electrical lines ran along the walls and drop cords so they could use space heaters. .......There were desperate conditions but the home did exude love and warmth.
On Thursday the family will return from Disneyworld and Ty will say the famous words....."Move that Bus!".......It will be goodbye Bean field , Hello new home. The home will be 4,400 sq feet........each child will finally have their own room and their own dresser......and as we know...much more.
During the week we plan to take the shuttle and get into the house building area.........
It is so heartwarming to see peoples faces light up while helping others......
The spirit in the air is electrifying........
Watching the local people work to improve this families life was such sheer joy. The show will air in March........
Hard to believe that this home will go up in one weeks time.
And No, I didn't see Ty......the crew crowd was too large...:cool:
But, I hope to see him next time......I'll let you know ;)
Cheers to Extreme Makeover Home Edition....for the joy they bring to the locals, the families, and the crews.......and for lending us Ty for the week:hand:
LOL............Sunday...........

It is a wonderful thing, but I can't help wondering, if Grandma wasn't able to afford any updates on her small home or even dressers for the kids, how will she possibly afford the taxes and maintenance on the huge new one? Imagine the utility bills on such a large house. Sometimes I think the makeover crew goes overboard.

Edit -- Found a link: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/ml...pecial_packages/extreme_makeover/16550102.htm

Hey Sunday

Is Ty that cute guy off Oprah........................lol.....I'm probably wrong....

Mabel said:
It is a wonderful thing, but I can't help wondering, if Grandma wasn't able to afford any updates on her small home or even dressers for the kids, how will she possibly afford the taxes and maintenance on the huge new one? Imagine the utility bills on such a large house. Sometimes I think the makeover crew goes overboard.

Edit -- Found a link: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/entertainment/special_packages/extreme_makeover/16550102.htm
I have always wondered about that too Mabel. Do they compensate them in some way? I mean maintenance and taxes would be a pretty penny.
PLus if the home is a gift wouldn't they have to pay income tax on it? They must account for this, otherwise this could be a true burden.

Mabel said:

Edit -- Found a link: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/entertainment/special_packages/extreme_makeover/16550102.htm
Mabel and JBean.... Well, you know I walked around thinking and asking about that all day. That worried me......the electric for that home of 4400 sq feet..Wheee.
Some of the people who were there told me that, it will be taken care of.
I wonder for how long........?I read there is going to be a fund set up......but, I hope it is quite large, and that it can continue.
Apparently these kids shared one dresser.......
Oh, the house was just long and so tiny. The roof had many repairs....the windows looked so cold and uninsulated. I think the little girl had to sleep in the grandmoms room.
I so hope I was not on film ,as tears just came down my cheeks ,when the roar came up and the shovel crashed down.
The old, brittle awnings came to an end......In seconds of time the barely there walls vanished.
The crew went to the school to see what the one boy liked to read, as that was
a favorite thing for him. It seems the kids are very well adjusted and thats great. I can not even imagine being able to stand up if I was Mrs Wilson......its too much of a big, big, dream I am sure.

Sundayrain said:
Mabel and JBean.... Well, you know I walked around thinking and asking about that all day. That worried me......the electric for that home of 4400 sq feet..Wheee.
Some of the people who were there told me that, it will be taken care of.
I wonder for how long........?I read there is going to be a fund set up......but, I hope it is quite large, and that it can continue.
Apparently these kids shared one dresser.......
Oh, the house was just long and so tiny. The roof had many repairs....the windows looked so cold and uninsulated. I think the little girl had to sleep in the grandmoms room.
I so hope I was not on film ,as tears just came down my cheeks ,when the roar came up and the shovel crashed down.
The old, brittle awnings came to an end......In seconds of time the barely there walls vanished.
The crew went to the school to see what the one boy liked to read, as that was
a favorite thing for him. It seems the kids are very well adjusted and thats great. I can not even imagine being able to stand up if I was Mrs Wilson......its too much of a big, big, dream I am sure.
Oh thank you for that info Sunday. This stuff is really amazing.

narlacat said:
Hey Sunday

Is Ty that cute guy off Oprah........................lol.....I'm probably wrong....
Hey Cat........you just wanted me to laugh. I just know it......:hand:
On Oprah........you mean the guy who does the room designs......Ah, Ah,on the tip of my tongue.......but........Nate....isn't it......yeah, Nate. NOPE........
Ty Pennington does Extreme Makeover of homes......I read on here he did one in California......he goes everywhere. Probably many states have been covered.
They look through their mail and make choices. They go to the town......and get people to donate. I never knew it was so much of donation. Then they ask for volunteers..........hey I almost did that......darn, now I am wishing I did. ( not high up on any rafters ....that probably what scared me)
But, oh glory........it may have cut into Mr Rains golf time :p Then in one week they stick build and make a glorious home. Its furnished with the things that the owners would love......and the yard is done.....then Woop.....they come home from Disney to a new, huge, sparkling........house......TA DA
People are working 24/7......we can visit from 8 to 8......but, its not around the corner from me. Hey once went to watch a swing bridge go in and ...that was a daily quest too......( really I did????)
Ty.......he is like the tool guy........do you see him on home depot tool commercials......Origonally he was on Trading Spaces.....working to fix homes.
Yah know his hair is like sticking up straight......kinda tall.......regular guy.
Don't know if you see him over there or not......but, nope not Nate.....although......wonder when Nate will be coming this way.....;)

Thank you Jbean.......I will try to get back and post from there.
You are always so kind.......you would love the people here.
They stop to talk, and enjoy being with people......
I never have to hesitate to ask a question here(SC)......someone will
stop and explain things to you as if you were their best friend.
One reason I love to visit South Carolina.
and their motto is:
"Smiling faces;Beautiful Places".......quite cute and quite correct.:D

They do other things too. My friends have a daughter who suffers from Xerodermia Pigmentosa (XP), a rare disease where she can’t be out in the sun,
The UV rays will cause skin cancer and kill her ulitmately , so she stays indoors under special glass. She can go out in a special suit or at night.They even have to monitor indoor lighting and make sure it is not too strong.

here is what Extreme Home makeover did for her and her family:
http://www.xpfamilysupport.com/PrincessForANight-December2005.pdf
ETA I changed the link to include one with a picture.

Just more about XP. It is very rare.
http://www.xpfamilysupport.com/about.phphttp://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10359

JBean said:
They do other things too. My friends have a daughter who suffers from Xerodermia Pigmentosa (XP), a rare disease where she can’t be out in the sun,
The UV rays will cause skin cancer and kill her ulitmately , so she stays indoors under special glass. She can go out in a special suit or at night.They even have to monitor indoor lighting and make sure it is not too strong.

here is what Extreme Home makeover did for her and her family:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:TTSgYSk5hrYJ:www.xpfamilysupport.com/PrincessForANight-December2005.pdf+%22extreme+home+makeover%22+riley+mccoy&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4
Oh MY if that isn't the most wonderful story. Extreme Makeover has made me so weepy today......The things they do are so fantastic. There is no word to even express it. The story is so moving of one good deed, progressing to another. The Princess story.......priceless.......
If all the World could work like this.......hand in hand.
Ty has one of the best jobs going.......and all these devoted people......
They must walk around with perpetual smiles. Bless them........

Sundayrain said:
Oh MY if that isn't the most wonderful story. Extreme Makeover has made me so weepy today......The things they do are so fantastic. There is no word to even express it. The story is so moving of one good deed, progressing to another. The Princess story.......priceless.......
If all the World could work like this.......hand in hand.
Ty has one of the best jobs going.......and all these devoted people......
They must walk around with perpetual smiles. Bless them........
Just posting Riley's story always makes me tear up. This is a really loving devoted family and I adore them.
I changed the link to include a couple pictures if you want to look again. they are lovely lovely people. Paperdoll knows them also.

thanks for posting about Extreme Home Edition. they really do some wonderful things.

What a wonderful story, JBean!

Extreme Home Makeover is one of my favorite shows.

Maral said:
What a wonderful story, JBean!

Extreme Home Makeover is one of my favorite shows.
IT really was magical.They went to great lengths to keep these XP kids safe from light. Can you even imagine? She is a special little girl and her parents have done everything possible to make her life "normal" They have her in a school now where the light is monitored and she can get out of the house.
They discovered she had it when she was about 6 weeks old. Pam was pushing her in the stroller and it was overcast and started to drizzle. She looked at Riley and evreywhere the raindrop had hit her skins was a big blister. She was covered with blisters.It was a nightmare, but at least she was diagnosd very early on. Some kids are not so lucky. because any sun exposure will ulitmately turn to skin cancer.
Sorry to go on and on but anytime I can raise awareness about XP I do.
It is so rare, just a handful of kids across the globe have it.
These people have done an incredible job of fundraising for research.
Extreme Home Edition really brought it some national attention to XP and I just think they are awesome.

We too had friends who had their house done by Ty and the Extreme Team last year. The Arena family had lost their 6 year old son to brain cancer just a few months prior. We also got to work on the house. It was a lot of fun and very hard work.. Sal, the guy from Alure homes paid off their morgage on this new house. I think thats the arrangement that Extreme Home Makeover makes with the contractors. As for taxes and utilites, I believe its up to the families. I do believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, there was a family that did fall behind on their property taxes the first year of the show. I'm not sure how it was rectified.

Nancy

NK57 said:
We too had friends who had their house done by Ty and the Extreme Team last year. The Arena family had lost their 6 year old son to brain cancer just a few months prior. We also got to work on the house. It was a lot of fun and very hard work.. Sal, the guy from Alure homes paid off their morgage on this new house. I think thats the arrangement that Extreme Home Makeover makes with the contractors. As for taxes and utilites, I believe its up to the families. I do believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, there was a family that did fall behind on their property taxes the first year of the show. I'm not sure how it was rectified.

Nancy
Oh wow Nancy..working on the house must have been really fulfilling. Sorry about your friends loss, that is just so sad. very cool that they were chosen.

We had fun. It was cold and rainy that entire week but it was fun. I will tell you this... if you are chose to work... you work. There were very few breaks and no BS'ing around. The house was big but I really didn't care for the open floor plan.

Nancy

Wow that is great!! I would be there too. I have a major crush on TY not only because he is just totally hot but because of his heart. You can tell he is just a warm kind caring guy.. Enjoy your viewing pleasure hehehe... Bless Grandmas heart I can't wait to see her reaction on the show!!!

Sadie, If I get a picture of Ty I will forward it to you......He does seem to have a great big heart.Cutie too :blushing: Nk what an experience to work on the home.......I needed to work faster to sign up. But, anyhow.......I was glad to see that the locals are all fired up and ready to go.
I too heard about a family having trouble with the bills on their Extreme home.
I hope the fund that they have established will sustain them.
The school people nominated her.....so they should be sure to keep a fund going for the taxes, and utilities.....
I am going to look at the little princess pictures.......what a wonderful story.

Thanks for telling us this story, Sundayrain ! Extreme Home Makeover is one of our family's favorite shows. We sit together and watch it every Sunday night. It is so heartwarming and we all usually end up crying happy tears. I can't wait to see this episode.

JellyBean, I saw that episode and remember crying my eyes out at that little girl's face when her dreams came true. Thank you for raising awareness of XP.

This show is what reality tv is all about. The positive side of reality tv. The goodness in people and how we can make a difference in someone's life. The design team is so sweet too. They are not afraid to cry on national television. It is a wonderful show and they do so many good things for deserving people.

Ticamom said:
Thanks for telling us this story, Sundayrain ! Extreme Home Makeover is one of our family's favorite shows. We sit together and watch it every Sunday night. It is so heartwarming and we all usually end up crying happy tears. I can't wait to see this episode.

JellyBean, I saw that episode and remember crying my eyes out at that little girl's face when her dreams came true. Thank you for raising awareness of XP.

This show is what reality tv is all about. The positive side of reality tv. The goodness in people and how we can make a difference in someone's life. The design team is so sweet too. They are not afraid to cry on national television. It is a wonderful show and they do so many good things for deserving people.
Your Welcome Tica.... I will try for some pictures. Right now I do have the team, and the house tearing. Actually, I don't know if pictures were even allowed as I didn't take the "official" tour.....Where I am at, for three months, I can only get dialup and that is not easy to work with. But, If I get a closeup of Ty or the house and find it is ok.......I could try to put on two or so...I would love to get Sadie a picture of Ty....LOL....:blushing:
So nice to hear you watch it all together.....this will come on in March.....
It gives me goosebumps to be so close.......it is AWESOME to be at the site.
Seeing people at their best.....working together for a great cause....
Makes tears and tears and tears.....Joyous.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back