635 users online (119 members and 516 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021

    Harry Potter Actor Taking It All Off On London Stage

    17-year-old Dan Radcliffe, star of the Harry Potter movies, will be stretching his wings a bit this February as he stars on the London stage in a production of Equus.

    The play, which originally opened in London's National Theatre in 1973, centers on 17-year-old Alan Strang (Radcliffe) who seemingly without provocation blinds six horses with a metal spike in a stable in Hampshire. Psychiatrist Martin Dysart is sent in to investigate what prompted Alan to commit the atrocity, but in the process, begins to question his own integrity and what constitutes "normal."

    Several scenes require the Radcliffe to be fully nude on stage.

    For some beautiful (yet very un-Harry Potterish) promotional pics of Radcliffe in Equus, visit the news section of his site at

    http://www.danradcliffe.co.uk/

    Some fans of the J.K. Rowling boy wizard series are up in arms by his decision to take on this role. I applaud him. It's a tough, provocative role which will surely stretch him as an actor.

    Hope the inevitable backlash isn't too tough on him. He seems like a very centered young man. Equus is an amazing play.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  2. #2
    What is the age of consent in London since he is 17? Im sure its more flexible over their with sexuality and nudity than in the U.S. I have no say one way or the other with this, I just hope he doesnt regret his decision in the future. Although most stars dont go down in ratings with nudity but moral values may change for him throughout the years.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Ewww! Sorry, but I haven't looked at the recent pics of Radcliffe yet so maybe he's changed.

    I think the horses won't mind going blind.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom
    Ewww! Sorry, but I haven't looked at the recent pics of Radcliffe yet so maybe he's changed.

    I think the horses won't mind going blind.
    LOL! He actually looks really good in the pics. They are definitely more comfortable with nudity in Europe.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas, Heart Of
    Posts
    1,669
    You must look at the pics before you speak - he has definitely been in the gym - those are some pretty abs. Dan is NOT a little boy any more - in ANY way. He doesn't look a THING like Harry in this role....and that's a good thing. He's successfully changing his whole look for this more adult dramatic role.

    The play is awesome and he will do nothing but get more and better parts because of it. He is trying to transition between being a child actor and an actor - and if casting directors see this I think the transition is a done deal. It's genius - he wants a career after "Hogwarts" and he is taking steps to make the public see him as more than Harry Potter. He is so well known for the role it will take something "stunning" like this to break him out of that mold.

    He is an attractive young MAN in this part. I predict the audiences and critic's reviews are going to go insane for him.

    Interesting that in this country 13 yr old (soon) Dakota Fanning cannot ACT LIKE she is being raped on a closed set without being blasted and Dan Radcliffe (17) can go totally nude in a play with an audience and the Brits are totally cool about it. We here in the US need to grow up - we are so puritanical about things like nudity. Where are the protests and televangelists screaming that the play is nothing more than a homosexual or gay pedophiles dream?

    I think young Mr Radcliffe is going to do just fine in the acting field for a long time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    I see no correlation between being nude on stage and pretending to go through something as awful as being raped.

    I would have no problem if Dakota Fanning wanted to act on Broadway (wherever) nude. She could even pretend to be raped at that age. I just think 13 yrs is too young to be portraying something like that.

    Call me an old fuddy-duddy if you want!

    There's another thread for the Dakota argument, by the way. My comments about Dakota will be there, not here, after this posts.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Never seen any of the Potter movies, but if he wants to go nekkid, let him!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowerChild
    You must look at the pics before you speak - he has definitely been in the gym - those are some pretty abs. Dan is NOT a little boy any more - in ANY way. He doesn't look a THING like Harry in this role....and that's a good thing. He's successfully changing his whole look for this more adult dramatic role.

    The play is awesome and he will do nothing but get more and better parts because of it. He is trying to transition between being a child actor and an actor - and if casting directors see this I think the transition is a done deal. It's genius - he wants a career after "Hogwarts" and he is taking steps to make the public see him as more than Harry Potter. He is so well known for the role it will take something "stunning" like this to break him out of that mold.

    He is an attractive young MAN in this part. I predict the audiences and critic's reviews are going to go insane for him.

    Interesting that in this country 13 yr old (soon) Dakota Fanning cannot ACT LIKE she is being raped on a closed set without being blasted and Dan Radcliffe (17) can go totally nude in a play with an audience and the Brits are totally cool about it. We here in the US need to grow up - we are so puritanical about things like nudity. Where are the protests and televangelists screaming that the play is nothing more than a homosexual or gay pedophiles dream?

    I think young Mr Radcliffe is going to do just fine in the acting field for a long time.
    First of all, I had to take a look at the pics, because from your description of him, I was basically expecting to see some manly, buff Adonis -- LOL, but he's still very much too "little boyish" for MY tastes. But hey, to each his own.

    Anyway, I think you're wrong about the people being against the Dakota Fanning movie based on nudity--at least in my case it's about the graphic portrayal of a little 12 year old (she's 12) being violently raped. The controversy is about the rape. That and being nude in a play are on the opposite ends of the spectrum--totally different. Also, I agree with everyone else that says 12 is waaaaay different 17. Entirely different.

    I suppose you would get the pedophiles and people protesting if he was a 12 year old boy being the subject of a violent rape---but that isn't the case, is it? It's such an easy argument to say that people are against the Dakota Fanning simply because they are too "puritanical" about nudity---a nude body doesn't have squat to do with it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter books. The movies aren't as good, but they are still a lot of fun and I do feel like I have watched Daniel "grow up" in the process of watching them.

    I think choosing to do stage work after having done so much movie work is very bold of him. This part in particular is a tough part to play - nudity or no nudity. It's great that he is stretching himself so rigorously as an actor. I hope he has a long, interesting career.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by julianne
    .....It's such an easy argument to say that people are against the Dakota Fanning simply because they are too "puritanical" about nudity---a nude body doesn't have squat to do with it.
    You know my thoughts on Houndog, so I won't rehash them here, but I agree 100% with the above statement.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,374
    Harry nude?? Excuse me while I heave---Anyway, why would he be in such a depressing play?--Oh I know, to show he is an"adult" actor----This play has been around for at least 30 years--It's called "Equus"---Richard Burton played the shrink part on Broadway

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    You know my thoughts on Houndog, so I won't rehash them here, but I agree 100% with the above statement.
    I DEFINITELY know your thoughts on Hounddog, scm, LOL, and I appreciate them, as they are articulate and I have learned things from you & your point of view--Our point of views are completely opposite from one another on this (and a coupla other things), but honestly, I suspect from your posts that you & I would agree on more topics than not.

    My views on nudity, however, are anything but puritanical. I don't have any problems with nudity---there JUST bodies, we've all got one, and I really fail to see what is so "shocking" about nudity----I just think the rape scene is a totally different element not anywhere akin to nudity.

    LOL, I just looked back at the beginning of the thread because I was gonna apologize to the original poster for hijacking the thread, but your the OP--LOL

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowerChild
    You must look at the pics before you speak - he has definitely been in the gym - those are some pretty abs. Dan is NOT a little boy any more - in ANY way. He doesn't look a THING like Harry in this role....and that's a good thing. He's successfully changing his whole look for this more adult dramatic role.

    The play is awesome and he will do nothing but get more and better parts because of it. He is trying to transition between being a child actor and an actor - and if casting directors see this I think the transition is a done deal. It's genius - he wants a career after "Hogwarts" and he is taking steps to make the public see him as more than Harry Potter. He is so well known for the role it will take something "stunning" like this to break him out of that mold.

    He is an attractive young MAN in this part. I predict the audiences and critic's reviews are going to go insane for him.

    Interesting that in this country 13 yr old (soon) Dakota Fanning cannot ACT LIKE she is being raped on a closed set without being blasted and Dan Radcliffe (17) can go totally nude in a play with an audience and the Brits are totally cool about it. We here in the US need to grow up - we are so puritanical about things like nudity. Where are the protests and televangelists screaming that the play is nothing more than a homosexual or gay pedophiles dream?

    I think young Mr Radcliffe is going to do just fine in the acting field for a long time.
    I also would not be proud of being something "brits are totally cool about it" as they are also fine with a child molestor highly well known and loved by the community -roman polanski

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,234
    hasn't this kid been sleeping iwth some lady who is like 27+ for a few years now? or am i crazy?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    9,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2004
    I also would not be proud of being something "brits are totally cool about it" as they are also fine with a child molestor highly well known and loved by the community -roman polanski
    Woody Allen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Alan Rickman, British Actor Known for 'Harry Potter' Role, Has Died of Cancer
    By Jennibee in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-21-2016, 06:28 PM
  2. Harry Potter actor Dave Legeno found dead in Death Valley
    By zwiebel in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 01:05 PM
  3. Ben Gazzara, risk-taking stage, screen actor, dead at 81
    By wfgodot in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 03:23 PM