Identified! CA - Fresno - LIVING Black Male Child, 9-16, Jan 2007

mistivon

Verified Insider - Maricela Garcia
Reaction score
Fresno police are asking for the public's help to identify a child found Jan. 11 wandering near Ventura and G streets near Highway 99.

The boy, who said he has never been told his last name, calls himself "Kyu" or "Kayo," pronounced "keye-you." He is 4 feet 10 inches tall and 80 to 100 pounds. He has brown eyes and olive skin and was wearing a green jacket and blue jeans when he was found. Police said he was not carrying anything that would identify him or his hometown. The boy told police he is 9 years old, but medical staff at a local hospital said he appears to be between 14 and 16. Police believe he is at least mildly developmentally disabled

more:

http://www.fresnobee.com/263/story/27205.html

Why didn't they post a picture?!

If they posted a pic it would be a big help in sending in a tip. Even if they can't locate the family this way maybe someone has seen him along the way of his travels.

How sad for him! Surely they have him with medical professionals who specialize in treating the developmentally disabled at this time. The statement Brown made rather concerns me. He sounds totally inept in dealing with this child.

"He's talking to us, but continues to say that he was never told his last name," Brown said. "He said he'd been walking a long time, but when the officers found him, he looked like he'd only been out on his own for a few days."

I am horrified at his cavalier attitude about the boy having, "ONLY been out on his own for a few days"! I have a grandchild with a form of Autism and it would be almost impossible for him to survive out on his own for only a few days. The reason the boy might know his way around Fresno could be because he HAS been walking the area day and night. A child that doesn't know his name, doesn't know where he lives, and cannot properly explain any of it to the officials is a serious matter and to not have his picture out there is ridiculous!

The way it is described...his vocabulary skills are below level as are many of his other skills. I would recommend they look to programs in the area and surrounding areas which treat these children for a lead. (Medical, special public & private school programs, and special needs placements.) Since no one has claimed or reported him missing, isn't it possible he was either in a group home setting, foster care, or other situation which might mean they aren't reporting for a reason?

SeriouslySearching said:
How sad for him! Surely they have him with medical professionals who specialize in treating the developmentally disabled at this time. The statement Brown made rather concerns me. He sounds totally inept in dealing with this child.

"He's talking to us, but continues to say that he was never told his last name," Brown said. "He said he'd been walking a long time, but when the officers found him, he looked like he'd only been out on his own for a few days."

I am horrified at his cavalier attitude about the boy having, "ONLY been out on his own for a few days"! I have a grandchild with a form of Autism and it would be almost impossible for him to survive out on his own for only a few days. The reason the boy might know his way around Fresno could be because he HAS been walking the area day and night. A child that doesn't know his name, doesn't know where he lives, and cannot properly explain any of it to the officials is a serious matter and to not have his picture out there is ridiculous!

The way it is described...his vocabulary skills are below level as are many of his other skills. I would recommend they look to programs in the area and surrounding areas which treat these children for a lead. (Medical, special public & private school programs, and special needs placements.) Since no one has claimed or reported him missing, isn't it possible he was either in a group home setting, foster care, or other situation which might mean they aren't reporting for a reason?
Hi SS:). I feel as you do. I would think that if he came from a legit group or foster home somewhere near the area there would be a missing person's report. I just don't understand this.

I wonder if LE didn't want a picture posted because the boy seems possibly developmentally delayed, and seems to know little about himself. Perhaps they don't want some perp trying to claim that the boy as his son. Once the picture is out, some twisted creep can, "recognize" the boy as his, "son". I don't know it could just be a silly thought.

I do hope that his parents are found, and that all will go well for him.

Lion

The first link says he was found on January 11th, but the link to the story on CBS says he was found January 30th. Wonder which one it is?

Thanks for posting the link to his picture! Are the medical staff and the LE smoking crack?! He has a five o'clock shadow!! His weight being 90-100 lbs. appears to be way off as well! WTH?!?! I would figure him to be more in the range of 17-19. Maybe he is messing with them so they don't know who he is! It might be a good idea to give him a razor and shaving cream so the next picture will be in line with their description! (No wonder they can't find his parents or caretakers...their description is totally misleading!)

Apparently the boy has been identified and a press conference will be held later this afternoon.

Still, if he really was found twenty days ago, and only today did they put his picture out there, I wish I could smack the person(s) responisble for that delay upside the head.

http://www.fresnobee.com/406/story/27270.html

JanetElaine said:
Apparently the boy has been identified and a press conference will be held later this afternoon.

Still, if he really was found twenty days ago, and only today did they put his picture out there, I wish I could smack the person(s) responisble for that delay upside the head.

http://www.fresnobee.com/406/story/27270.html
seriously... This was too long a delay.:furious:

Anyone have an update from the presser? I am curious to know.

MG

So I wonder was he really mentally disabled at all? Or was it all a part of his plan? Obviously something is not kosher at home for him to want to do this.

SeriouslySearching said:
Thanks for posting the link to his picture! Are the medical staff and the LE smoking crack?! He has a five o'clock shadow!! His weight being 90-100 lbs. appears to be way off as well! WTH?!?! I would figure him to be more in the range of 17-19. Maybe he is messing with them so they don't know who he is! It might be a good idea to give him a razor and shaving cream so the next picture will be in line with their description! (No wonder they can't find his parents or caretakers...their description is totally misleading!)
I nailed 'em on that one! How in the world did they get everything SO VERY WRONG as to his weight, age, and mental abilities/disabilities?! A trained professional absolutely SHOULD have caught any and all of these discrepancies!! They have had him in custody for almost a month! OMG! I hope they bring charges against the guy!

Mygirlsadie said:
So I wonder was he really mentally disabled at all? Or was it all a part of his plan? Obviously something is not kosher at home for him to want to do this.
Apparently he is not. That's (part of) why he wasn't linked to the description his step-mom gave when she filed a missing persons report for him.

SeriouslySearching said:
I nailed 'em on that one!
Yes you did, good eye SeriouslySearching! There still are a lot of discrepancies about how long he's been wandering the streets - varying from a month to 'more than two weeks' to a day. If they can't get that straight, maybe that explains it?

Hope they charge him too, what a waste of resources this was.... plus it's yet another story that will make the general public take missing children's reports less seriously. That's my main beef, here. :slap:

JanetElaine said:
it's yet another story that will make the general public take missing children's reports less seriously. That's my main beef, here. :slap:
If anything, it will make them question LE's accuracy and attention to detail on their next investigation! I don't think the public will look at missing children's reports less seriously, but they will certainly be fact checking the 'professionals' responsible for finding them!

I wish someone would inquire about an investigation into them and why this case went so terribly wrong. There is a lead news story! The officer in charge should be fired! :mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back