Herpes Forces Wrestling Tournament Ban

White Rain

Reaction score
I've never heard of this kind of herpes. Scary!

http://www.wsbtv.com/health/10888769/detail.html

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota high school wrestling programs were suspended Tuesday because of a widespread herpes outbreak.

The Minnesota State High School League banned competitions and direct contact between wrestlers in practice until Feb. 6 after 24 cases of herpes gladiatorum were reported by 10 teams. The virus is spread by skin-to-skin contact, and symptoms include lesions on the face, head and neck.

The suspension is meant to control the current outbreak, allow time to diagnose new cases and prevent disqualifications at the state tournament, scheduled for Feb. 28-March 3.
(more at link)

Its the same virus as cold sores on the mouth, it stinks though because once you get it you can have an outbreak at any time due to many situations. High stress, sick, lack of sleep, due to weaked immune system. My sister has this and has to be extremely careful when she does not to share any drinks and wash her hands after touching her chin, the location where she gets it, or it will spread easily. Lactobacillus acidophilus tablets keep hers at bay and if she does have an outbreak the time it takes to heal is much shorter.It also can be found on the thumbs of someone who might be a thumb sucker.

Oh dear Lord! Only one of my sons wrestled and honestly, as great as a sport as it is, it was often disgusting. they were forever getting ringworm from skin to skin contact. there were rules that they couldn;t wrestle when they had it, but I would always see kids with a mysterious bandage somewhere and I knew it was covering an outbreak. So, the ringworm would spread.
I think halting the competition to get this thing under control is great. I am glad herpes wasn't being passed at that time.
What is interesting, is back in the day when my dh wrestled there was not a great incidence of ringworm, only once in awhile. So, now not only do we have ringworm running rampant, now herpes. What next and what is going wrong?

Peter Hamilton said:
Good lord--herpes,ringworm--Thank God I never liked wrestling lol
It's really a neat sport, but shheesh.

White Rain said:
While ringworm does sound, and looks, gross, it really has nothing to do with a worm at all. Not that that makes it any better!

http://www.medicinenet.com/ringworm/article.htm
Unfortunately I know more about ringworm than I would like. My son had it so many,many times. They have to use a special cream or lamisil or something. I can't remember anymore, but it really was gross. I know they use a special prep on the mats. I just hate the fact that this stuff is getting worse.
It is one reason my son left wrestling. He was on the varsity team his freshman year and he was a standout athlete and wrestler.The camaraderie is awesome and it is a terrific sport. It is an indivdual sport , but they work as a team. That's what makes it so neat. but the weight and health issues that go hand in hand with it are just not worth it. I saw a lot of young men engage in risky behavior to lose weight and make weight. the pressure is phenomenal.

I have been around wrestling for over 20 years now - brother was a national champ (in 3rd grade...) and multiple year state qualifier. Hubby is a wrestling coach.

While this is herpes - like cold sore herpes - it will spread unchecked for the next month until after the state tournament.

And this is particularly huge b/c MN is a BIG wrestling state. I've attended their state tournament at the Xcel center, and the energy is amazing.

It's also huge b/c this is unprecedented. I don't believe it's ever happened before. Teams have been shut down, but not the whole state.

WI teams are sweating bullets now too b/c the "Clash" was the tournament that MN thinks started it. WI teams were there, as were teams from other states.

Hubby has been showering after every practice, wearing long sleeves and dousing himself w/ germinex. The team did have a ringworm outbreak - which shouldn't happen if kids know how to identify it and treat it. The kid responsible for the outbreak didn't know what he had and just watched it spread...

Ang50 said:
Hubby has been showering after every practice, wearing long sleeves and dousing himself w/ germinex. The team did have a ringworm outbreak - which shouldn't happen if kids know how to identify it and treat it. The kid responsible for the outbreak didn't know what he had and just watched it spread...

Read about MRSA, then you will be really scared.

Ang50 said:
Oh bless your heart Ang..I love wrestling, but this herpes is disturbing.

I guess maybe being around the sport so much, I know how rare this is. The benefits far outweigh the risk, and I'd be much more proud if my son or daughter contracted herpes gladitorium from wrestling rather than that other herpes from sex.... Or I'd be more mad about cauliflower ear...

We have a 9 month old son, 3 year old daughter - and I would be worried but my husband is much more of a germophobe than I am...

I do have one gross wrestling story. My brother got ringworm on his head - and w/ his hair it went unnoticed for a while. He had to shave his head, do the cream, and went around w/ a bald circle on the back of his head for a while.

Ang50 said:
I guess maybe being around the sport so much, I know how rare this is. The benefits far outweigh the risk, and I'd be much more proud if my son or daughter contracted herpes gladitorium from wrestling rather than that other herpes from sex.... Or I'd be more mad about cauliflower ear...

We have a 9 month old son, 3 year old daughter - and I would be worried but my husband is much more of a germophobe than I am...

I do have one gross wrestling story. My brother got ringworm on his head - and w/ his hair it went unnoticed for a while. He had to shave his head, do the cream, and went around w/ a bald circle on the back of his head for a while.
Oh your poor brother! My dh was a big wrestler but only one of the boys took to it. I LOVE it. Does your dh notice that there is more incidence of ringworm than when he was in high school?
I know the herpes is rare, but even ringowrm was only occasional at some point.

JBean said:
Oh your poor brother! My dh was a big wrestler but only one of the boys took to it. I LOVE it. Does your dh notice that there is more incidence of ringworm than when he was in high school?
I know the herpes is rare, but even ringowrm was only occasional at some point.
Yeah - poor brother... he was always in the big weight classes, so bigger than anyone that would have made fun of him.

Dh and I don't see more ringworm than before. When this outbreak happened at dh's school, the coaches inspected everyone's visible skin, and then told the boys what to look for and what to do. A couple of them really got the heebiejeebies over it, so probably the boys are looking each other over in the locker room.

I feel wrestling tends to be a misunderstood sport, so this herpes stuff sure won't help.

Cauliflower ear. If you get coldsores, be very careful in giving oral gratification to your lover, and if your lover gets coldsores, be very careful in accepting oral gratification from your lover, because you can get that kind of herpes on your naughty bits that way. (And you can get Herpes/coldsores by kissing someone who has them.) My friend (more like a sister, actually) found this out the hard way, via her former fiance. (He was a liar, and a cheater so good riddance!)

--Suddenly my decision to never indulge in wrestling while in high school now seems a rather prudent one--lol--glad I stuck to tennis and volleyball

Ang50 said:
Yeah - poor brother... he was always in the big weight classes, so bigger than anyone that would have made fun of him.

Dh and I don't see more ringworm than before. When this outbreak happened at dh's school, the coaches inspected everyone's visible skin, and then told the boys what to look for and what to do. A couple of them really got the heebiejeebies over it, so probably the boys are looking each other over in the locker room.

I feel wrestling tends to be a misunderstood sport, so this herpes stuff sure won't help.
My dh wrestled in the 70's. he said there was just occasional ringworm. he was amazed at the amount of we see today.
I agree about it being misunderstood. It is such a great character builder and like I said the camaraderie is like none I have ever seen in any sport.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back