1133 users online (164 members and 969 guests)  

Websleuths News

CO - Officer Charged After Girl Gets Tasered In Eye

While I think this officer showed poor judgement, the story doesn't make it sound like this is child abuse. It sounds like an accident to me, and unless there is more to this story than is being said I don't really see why he is being charged here.
    It saddens me to see something like this, but then think of all the parents out there who do abuse and hurt their children who recieve no punishment, until usually it's too late to save the child.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...0484&qs=1;bp=t

DENVER -- A veteran police officer of the Broomfield Police Department was arrested on child abuse charges over the weekend after his stepdaughter was stunned with a Taser gun in the eye.

William A. Skip Van Ardsdale, 42, of Broomfield was released on a summons after being booked on charges of child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury and criminal negligence.

Tom Deland of the Adams County District Attorney's office said Van Ardsdale was showing the girl how to test the Taser at his home when it struck her in they eye on Nov. 20.

Van Ardsdale faces two to eight years in prison and a fine of $2,000 to $500,000 if found guilty of the Class 4 felony.

Deland said Van Ardsdale will be put on modified duty for the duration of the investigation and will not be allowed to carry a firearm or Taser. Van Ardsdale's court date is scheduled for Feb. 20.

Deland said Van Ardsdale is a motorcycle officer who is well known in Broomfield for his role in organizing the Broomfield Santa Cops program that collects and distributes holiday gifts to area children in need.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain
    While I think this officer showed poor judgement, the story doesn't make it sound like this is child abuse. It sounds like an accident to me, and unless there is more to this story than is being said I don't really see why he is being charged here.
    It saddens me to see something like this, but then think of all the parents out there who do abuse and hurt their children who recieve no punishment, until usually it's too late to save the child.
    Would you feel the same way if a normal Joe was tinkering around with his 30/30 before a hunting trip and shot his daughter in the eye while "checking it out" in her presence? Obviously, the Taser was pointed so it could go into her eye which appears to be negligent and because he was a trained professional makes it even worse.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching
    Would you feel the same way if a normal Joe was tinkering around with his 30/30 before a hunting trip and shot his daughter in the eye while "checking it out" in her presence? Obviously, the Taser was pointed so it could go into her eye which appears to be negligent and because he was a trained professional makes it even worse.
    Accidents happen. Like I said, he showed poor judgement, but even if it was pointed towards her, the tasering was NOT done intenionally. At least thats the way the story made it sound.