1036 users online (239 members and 797 guests)  

Websleuths News

FLA. 14 Million $ Lotto Winner Is A Registered Sex Offender

Well isn't this nice for the sicko? Maybe he should give all that money to the people whose lives he ruined to help them pay for the therapy they are probably going to need.

http://www1.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_new...313592,00.html

JENSEN BEACH Life has taken a startling turn for Edward R. Cowal. Florida lottery officials announced Monday that Cowal, who is a state registered sex offender, was the sole winner of the $14 million lottery drawing from Jan. 13.
    Cowal, 47, whose name is on an eight-page record from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, elected to take a lump sum settlement of almost $8 million before taxes. He purchased the tickets at the Cumberland Farms Store at 10975 S. State Road A1A in Jensen Beach. (more at link)

aren't there laws that state a criminal or sex offender (which is considered a criminal, right?) cannot accept lotto money?

There goes the theory of karma lol

They were talking about this on "The View" and they were saying there are no laws against this because anyone can buy a ticket. The only law they brought up was "The son of Sam" law but that just makes it so that no criminal can profit of their act. This is just anyones right I guess to buy a ticket. I hope he broke in no time!

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by narlacat

LOL, my thoughts exactly!

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

I hope his accounts are frozen while former victims come out of the "woodwork" to sue him for damages.

Let's not forget the so-called 'lotto curse'! Maybe he will get his after all!

Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    They were talking about this on "The View" and they were saying there are no laws against this because anyone can buy a ticket. The only law they brought up was "The son of Sam" law but that just makes it so that no criminal can profit of their act. This is just anyones right I guess to buy a ticket. I hope he broke in no time!

There goes that Brainiac Rosie spouting off again on things she knows nothing about. The Son of Sam law was repealed and not replaced in some states. In other states, its called Son of Sam II and it provides for filing suit for damages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    There goes that Brainiac Rosie spouting off again on things she knows nothing about. The Son of Sam law was repealed and not replaced in some states. In other states, its called Son of Sam II and it provides for filing suit for damages.
    Right Jeana, and it's about profiting from your crime, isn't it?

This guy, however repugnant he may be, presumably paid his debt to society and bought a winning lottery ticket. I think we can hope he's like many other winners and will go on to ruin his life.

Now that would be karma!

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by narlacat
    Ha-ha! But maybe winning this money will be the worst thing that ever happened to him - it's just too soon to know!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Was it Rosie who was "spouting off" about the Son of Sam law or the other ladies? Michelle's post only said they.

Regardless, it truly sucks to see a sex offender have that kind of good fortune. I hope the victim does sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Observer
    Let's not forget the so-called 'lotto curse'! Maybe he will get his after all!
    Exactly what I was thinking. I believe that things that come too easily tend to cause great destruction before they go. Things worked for and earned tend to stick around and flourish.

So, maybe this is precisely what this guy deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by eve
    Right Jeana, and it's about profiting from your crime, isn't it?

This guy, however repugnant he may be, presumably paid his debt to society and bought a winning lottery ticket. I think we can hope he's like many other winners and will go on to ruin his life.

Now that would be karma!

Eve

The first one was, yes. I'm not sure what Son of Sam II (other than the door being open to file suit for civil damages) is all about nor am I sure which states repealed it and/or which ones replaced it. You'd have to check in each specific state to see what laws they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterj
    Was it Rosie who was "spouting off" about the Son of Sam law or the other ladies? Michelle's post only said they.

Regardless, it truly sucks to see a sex offender have that kind of good fortune. I hope the victim does sue.

It was Rosie.