FLA. 14 Million $ Lotto Winner Is A Registered Sex Offender

White Rain

Reaction score
Well isn't this nice for the sicko? Maybe he should give all that money to the people whose lives he ruined to help them pay for the therapy they are probably going to need.

http://www1.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_5313592,00.html

JENSEN BEACH — Life has taken a startling turn for Edward R. Cowal. Florida lottery officials announced Monday that Cowal, who is a state registered sex offender, was the sole winner of the $14 million lottery drawing from Jan. 13.
Cowal, 47, whose name is on an eight-page record from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, elected to take a lump sum settlement of almost $8 million before taxes. He purchased the tickets at the Cumberland Farms Store at 10975 S. State Road A1A in Jensen Beach. (more at link)

aren't there laws that state a criminal or sex offender (which is considered a criminal, right?) cannot accept lotto money?

They were talking about this on "The View" and they were saying there are no laws against this because anyone can buy a ticket. The only law they brought up was "The son of Sam" law but that just makes it so that no criminal can profit of their act. This is just anyones right I guess to buy a ticket. I hope he broke in no time!

I hope his accounts are frozen while former victims come out of the "woodwork" to sue him for damages. :)

michelle said:
They were talking about this on "The View" and they were saying there are no laws against this because anyone can buy a ticket. The only law they brought up was "The son of Sam" law but that just makes it so that no criminal can profit of their act. This is just anyones right I guess to buy a ticket. I hope he broke in no time!

There goes that Brainiac Rosie spouting off again on things she knows nothing about. The Son of Sam law was repealed and not replaced in some states. In other states, its called Son of Sam II and it provides for filing suit for damages.

Jeana (DP) said:
There goes that Brainiac Rosie spouting off again on things she knows nothing about. The Son of Sam law was repealed and not replaced in some states. In other states, its called Son of Sam II and it provides for filing suit for damages.

Right Jeana, and it's about profiting from your crime, isn't it?

This guy, however repugnant he may be, presumably paid his debt to society and bought a winning lottery ticket. I think we can hope he's like many other winners and will go on to ruin his life.

Now that would be karma! :cool:

Eve

Jeana (DP) said:
Was it Rosie who was "spouting off" about the Son of Sam law or the other ladies? Michelle's post only said they.

Regardless, it truly sucks to see a sex offender have that kind of good fortune. I hope the victim does sue.

Observer said:
Let's not forget the so-called 'lotto curse'! Maybe he will get his after all!
Exactly what I was thinking. I believe that things that come too easily tend to cause great destruction before they go. Things worked for and earned tend to stick around and flourish.

So, maybe this is precisely what this guy deserves.

eve said:
Right Jeana, and it's about profiting from your crime, isn't it?

This guy, however repugnant he may be, presumably paid his debt to society and bought a winning lottery ticket. I think we can hope he's like many other winners and will go on to ruin his life.

Now that would be karma! :cool:

Eve

The first one was, yes. I'm not sure what Son of Sam II (other than the door being open to file suit for civil damages) is all about nor am I sure which states repealed it and/or which ones replaced it. You'd have to check in each specific state to see what laws they have.

Masterj said:
Was it Rosie who was "spouting off" about the Son of Sam law or the other ladies? Michelle's post only said they.

Regardless, it truly sucks to see a sex offender have that kind of good fortune. I hope the victim does sue.

It was Rosie.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back